• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Politics is Destroying Evangelical Christianity in America

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Luke 4:5-8

5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”​

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Luke 4:5-8

5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours.”

8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”​
The Bible if full of such warnings -Matt 6:24
No man can serve two masters: for either he
will hate the one, and love the other; or else
he will hold to the one, and despise the other.
Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

There are real Christians around, I know such people just as there are such people in other religions. The ones the article speaks about have to me zero moral authority.

PureX

Veteran Member
Outstanding article on how politics has been destroying Evangelical Christianity in America.

The gist of the article seems to be that heavy Evangelical participation in politics, which began in the late 1970s, has resulted in the neglect and/or rejection of core Christian values and teachings by Evangelicals.

Comments?
They jumped in bed with satan, so they could finally be "important" in America. But all they really got for it was used. And now they cannot admit to what they've done, so they just keep on serving the dark side, while telling themselves they're serving their god.

Or maybe they are serving their god, after all, ... the god of their own self-righteous importance.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They should have listened to Billy Graham who said that the single biggest mistake he made as a minister was to cozy up to and politically support Nixon. Now they own Trump.

"Those whom do not know history, ...".

Prestor John

I am not an evangelical Christian, but I could not stomach more than five paragraphs of this garbage opinion-piece.

Basically, the author does not think Christians should be involved in political matters and that you're not a true Christian if you voted for Trump.

Garbage.

David T

Premium Member
Outstanding article on how politics has been destroying Evangelical Christianity in America.

The gist of the article seems to be that heavy Evangelical participation in politics, which began in the late 1970s, has resulted in the neglect and/or rejection of core Christian values and teachings by Evangelicals.

Comments?
it's way deeper than simply politics. So one day an atheist, a believer and an agnostic, were hiking in nature and came upon a great mountain, they began to argue........
download (10).jpeg

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Comments?
It is an interesting idea, and he has a lifetime of experience and research. I think he has identified an important problem although not the imminent cause of evangelical backsliding (my opinion).

metis

I am not an evangelical Christian, but I could not stomach more than five paragraphs of this garbage opinion-piece.

Basically, the author does not think Christians should be involved in political matters and that you're not a true Christian if you voted for Trump.

Garbage.
I think maybe you would be better served if you went back and read it in its entirety as there are some rather serious points he brings up, but abstaining from politics simply isn't one of them.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it's that all too many of Trump's statements and his personal conduct are not very compatible to what Jesus taught.

Prestor John

I think maybe you would be better served if you went back and read it in its entirety as there are some rather serious points he brings up, but abstaining from politics simply isn't one of them.
I doubt I'll see anything but confirmation bias.
If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it's that all too many of Trump's statements and his personal conduct are not very compatible to what Jesus taught.
So?

If Christians need to wait for a Presidential candidate that exhibits all the attributes of Christ before they can vote for him/her, then they would never get to vote.

We all work with what we have.

Trump was the better candidate.

metis

If Christians need to wait for a Presidential candidate that exhibits all the attributes of Christ before they can vote for him/her, then they would never get to vote.
False equivalency as I never said nor implied that.
I doubt I'll see anything but confirmation bias.
Yes, and that would be yours. Why would you not read it all? Whether you agree with them or not, there are some points made worth rolling around.

Trump was the better candidate.
No doubt, but don't you think morality is important?

I don't expect a saint, but I would never vote for a candidate in either party that has acted and said stuff as blatantly immoral as Trump has done and said. As Gandhi said, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and all too much of what Trump has said and done is just that. I can't understand how any self-professed Christian at this point can still support him.

OTOH, I can understand why some did vote for him because there are always other factors involved with how we may vote.

BTW, the last poll I saw had it that the Evangelical support had dropped about 20 points since the election.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Garbage.

Don't you think it should raise an eyebrow when one supports platforms and policies that conflict with their supposed religious convictions? How do you reconcile the teachings of Christ with the GOP ticket?

Prestor John

False equivalency as I never said nor implied that.
You most certainly did imply it. Not only in your last post, but even within this current post.

You said that the entire article could be summed up into an observation that Trump's statements and personal conduct were not compatible with what Christ taught.

This rather subjective observation would only be worth mentioning if you believed that voting for Trump were equivalent to "destroying evangelical Christianity".

You could sum up the article using these other words, "A real Christian wouldn't vote for Trump or any candidate unless his/her statements and personal conduct reflected Christ's teachings".
Yes, and that would be yours. Why would you not read it all? Whether you agree with them or not, there are some points made worth rolling around.
Points made without any empirical evidence.
No doubt, but don't you think morality is important?
Sure morality is important, but is it important when deciding who to vote for President?

I believe that homosexuality is immoral, does that mean I should never vote for a homosexual, even if I believe he or she is the better candidate?

I could care less about my doctor's morality, as long as he did a good job as my doctor. His morality is his business, not mine.

The same goes with the Presidency. I was upset when President Clinton lied to the nation about having an affair, not because he had the affair. I don't care if he cheated on his wife. That's between him, his wife and God.

But I do care if he lies to the nation about it. Oh, and I care about him raping all those other woman.
I don't expect a saint, but I would never vote for a candidate in either party that has acted and said stuff as blatantly immoral as Trump has done and said.
I honestly don't know to what you are referring. He acts like a New York city real estate tycoon.

What are you particularly upset about?
As Gandhi said, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and all too much of what Trump has said and done is just that.
Yet Jesus taught us to agree with our enemies and to work alongside the corrupt because throughout all the Father's fields, the wheat will grow up with the tares.

Yes, the day will come when the wheat will be separated from the tares, but the Lord and His servants perform that work, not the wheat.
I can't understand how any self-professed Christian at this point can still support him.
Here it is. This is where you imply that Christians should not vote for a candidate unless he/she emulates Christ.

I mean, it cannot be more obvious than this.

I like Trump and I think he is doing a good job considering all the opposition, grand-standing, fake news, threats and other hostilities he, his family and cabinet are dredging through.

metis

You most certainly did imply it. Not only in your last post, but even within this current post.You said that the entire article could be summed up into an observation that Trump's statements and personal conduct were not compatible with what Christ taught.
I never said nor implied that any politician needed to act just as moral as Jesus did, which is why what you posted was and is a "false equivalency". What I did say is that I do not believe that what Jesus taught his followers to do and not do is not being conducted by Trump himself.

This rather subjective observation would only be worth mentioning if you believed that voting for Trump were equivalent to "destroying evangelical Christianity".
It is not "subjective" when one takes Jesus' words and actions and compare them to Trump's words and actions. They either match or they don't match, and way too many of them simply don't.

Sure morality is important, but is it important when deciding who to vote for President?
So, doing things like making fun of a handicapped man, bragging about how he can grope and "aggressively move" against women, cutting programs that hurt the poor, breaking laws which he has been found guilty of, failure to pay back loans and subcontractors, perpetually lying, etc., these aren't important to you?

I was upset when President Clinton lied to the nation about having an affair, not because he had the affair. I don't care if he cheated on his wife. That's between him, his wife and God.

But I do care if he lies to the nation about it.
Which is why I felt he should have resigned (lying under oath), as I also did with Conyers and Franken.

Here it is. This is where you imply that Christians should not vote for a candidate unless he/she emulates Christ.
No, that (s)he operates out of basic morality, whether that be Christian, Jewish, humanitarian, etc. If not, then I'll either vote for someone who is more morally fit or not vote at all for anyone in that category.

BTW, since you're a LDS, did you know what both Romney and Huntsman, both LDS as well, said about Trump's blatant immorality? Also, since Clinton violated the law and you felt he should be removed, why not Trump's many legal violations?

Last edited: