• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How old was Ahaziah ?

Hi how are you friends ?

I want to know the correct old of Ahziah, there are tow old in the bible :

2 Kings 8:26 says "Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign..."

2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign..."

And Thanks

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
criticizer said:
Hi how are you friends ?
Peachy! :)
criticizer said:
I want to know the correct old of Ahziah, there are tow old in the bible : ... 2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign..."
Some versions of 2 Chronicles say this and some don't, which suggests scribal error. ;)

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
criticizer said:
Hi how are you friends ?

I want to know the correct old of Ahziah, there are tow old in the bible :

2 Kings 8:26 says "Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign..."

2 Chronicles 22:2 says "Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign..."

And Thanks
Hi Critic,

Jay is right, this is scribal error. I did a back dated timeline of Israel and Judah Kings from the Babylonian captivity as a project for something else and ran into this same anomaly. What is clear, is that Ahaziah was 22 years old when he became King. His father, Jehoram, or Joram of Judah, was 32 and reigned for 8 years. His son Ahaziah would be 22 because he could not have been 42 obviously. There are some minor discrepancies and on big one of 13 years in cross referencing when these kings reigned. It is interesting that this timeline puts Solomon at about 1008 BCE instead of the 950 BCE figure that most scholars quote. It also puts the exodus at around 1422 BCE which would make it during the reign of Thutmoses IV instead of the popular Ramese II theory.
Just in case you are interested.

Ahmadso

Hi

And how the beleifer in bible beleive that the bible is the wrods of the god, And you say to me this is error scriptal !!

Thanks

Meesheltx

hmmm...how much of the Bible is scribal error i wonder...

just an error on one word could completely change things in the religion because many people back some particular beliefs with only one verse.

Deut 13:1

Jayhawker Soule said:
Some versions of 2 Chronicles say this and some don't, which suggests scribal error. ;)
I disagree, why don't you look up commentary on these verses by the Radak, Rabbi Doivid Kimchi. Maybe that can help put this, "scribal" error to rest. He started to run the kingdom at 22, and he fully took control of the kingdom from his father at 42.

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Binyamin said:
I disagree, why don't you look up commentary on these verses by the Radak, Rabbi Doivid Kimchi. Maybe that can help put this, "scribal" error to rest. He started to run the kingdom at 22, and he fully took control of the kingdom from his father at 42.
Hi Bin,

2Kings 8:25-26 says he reigned for one year when his mother Athalia took control of Judah. This is also said in Chronicles. Ahaziah never made it to 42 years old.

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Meesheltx said:
hmmm...how much of the Bible is scribal error i wonder...

just an error on one word could completely change things in the religion because many people back some particular beliefs with only one verse.
Hey Meesh,

There is known and unknown scribal error in both testaments. The fact is, all of the books in the Bible were copied by scribes, that was their job. They were the compilers, redactors, and editors of the time. This is why the subject has such widespread study by so many scholars. What does it mean when one verse may not be right? Well, if somone were to put up only one verse as the final word on any subject, then they wouldn't have much to back their claim on would they?

Bennettresearch said:
Hi Bin,

2Kings 8:25-26 says he reigned for one year when his mother Athalia took control of Judah. This is also said in Chronicles. Ahaziah never made it to 42 years old.
Hey Bennet,

I don't recall them saying she took over... I think it said something along the lines of who his mother is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "he reigned for one year when his mother Athalia took control of Judah". I don't even have the books with me at the moment to check. :) Do you happen to have a site with the verses translated - with the hebrew next to it?

I'd have to do more research into what the sages said about this verse (which I can do since I'll be at the Yesheva for Yom Kippur which is later tonight), I just remember reading commentary about this a while ago by Rabbi Kimchi. Do you happen to have a copy of the verses in question? I only have a Siddur (Prayer book) with me, which isn't very helpful at the moment to the conversation we're having. ;)

I'm just going off the memory of what I read, but Sunday I'll post a bunch of the commentary about these verses. Maybe sooner, but we shall see, Yom Kippur is Wed night to Thurs night, then Shabbat is Friday night to Saturday night, so I don't know if I will have the time to type out all the commentary, either way, it should be interesting.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Bennettresearch said:
Well done.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Bennettresearch said:
Hi Critic,

Jay is right, this is scribal error. I did a back dated timeline of Israel and Judah Kings from the Babylonian captivity as a project for something else and ran into this same anomaly. .
Now that is what I call study!;)

what support your saying ? And the first sentence said that he started to run the kingdom at 22 , and the second say at 42 !!

criticizer said:
I just ask to know , is this a contradiction and error ?, because you say that the bible is the words of the god !!
No, I looked up some commentary and they said something about it being the total time of the rulership of the 3 kings before him as well. One king had 9 year reign, the other two I forget, if you really want me to know the full commentary, I'll make a note of it over Schimas Torah and type it out. It's kind of long... But, from my point of view, it isn't a contradiction.