• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How new is God?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Have you ever been turned off by the ancient / old aspects of God? Can we entertain the idea of a more in-the-moment, modern God?

Lets explore this possibility...

Where is God right now. Is he a bright cloud? What are his plans likely to be for today?

74x12

Have you ever been turned off by the ancient / old aspects of God? Can we entertain the idea of a more in-the-moment, modern God?

Where is God right now. Is he a bright cloud? What are his plans likely to be for today?
If God changes; then He's not God. God doesn't change. What turns you off about "ancient aspects" of God?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I find God is in His home location according to 1 Kings 8:39; 1 Kings 8:49 which is Heaven.
People make plans such as plan for a picnic, but if it rains plans change.
Whereas, with God it is more like His 'purpose' then a plan that can change.
So, God's purpose is the purpose He gave to Jesus, and Jesus gave to us as found at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
We are to tell others that the Good News of God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44 is the coming solution for mankind's problems.

Cooky

Veteran Member
If God changes; then He's not God. God doesn't change. What turns you off about "ancient aspects" of God?

Nothing turns me off about ancient aspects of God. I'm exploring today! :)

...But God is new, 74×12. He's also the future.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

For me, God is eternal in the past and eternal in the future. He is beyond human comprehension and transcends all human concepts such as gender, time and space. God is also Omnipresent and Omnipotent. From time to time, from age to age He manifests Himself through communicates with people through men using the language, concepts and culture of that day. So when God made Himself known through Moses the historic circumstances were very different from the time of Muhammad or Christ. It was when God revealed Himself through times of conflict when a war really did need to be fought, language can take twists that are disturbing to the modern reader of sacred writings. The historic circumstances and the nature of conflict where very different when the Torah, Gospel,and Quran were revealed.

Still God is here with us know, closer than our own life vein.

Cooky

Veteran Member
For me, God is eternal in the past and eternal in the future. He is beyond human comprehension and transcends all human concepts such as gender, time and space. God is also Omnipresent and Omnipotent. From time to time, from age to age He manifests Himself through communicates with people through men using the language, concepts and culture of that day. So when God made Himself known through Moses the historic circumstances were very different from the time of Muhammad or Christ. Still God is here with us know, closer than our own life vein.

The life vein makes me a little nervous, but I suppose so.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

The ancient "old aspects of God" have been written down by "ancient people". I prefer to create my own "new aspects of God"
So I believe we are totally free to create whatever we like. For me at least not a "killing the bad guys God anymore"

When I pray I pray to God in my heart. Once I prayed to God "in heaven" (was a kind of big physical emergency)
Took eternity for God to respond (few hours seemed like ages). So from that moment I prayed to God in my heart

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever been turned off by the ancient / old aspects of God?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean that the gods change over time, and that they are no longer what they once were? Do you mean to contrast contemporary gnosis with those of your parents, grandparents, or further back? Or do you mean something else?

Can we entertain the idea of a more in-the-moment, modern God?

This confuses me even more. How can the gods we honor now not be in the moment and modern? That... it would just be very, very weird to not do that with one's theology. Worship something that is totally out of touch with everything that matters? Why would anyone ever do that? It makes no sense, so I've got to be understanding this wrong somewhere.

MonkeyFire

God can't be new at all, it would cause problems. If there were an angel of new things it would grow old and end any thing that swore to go allong with it. So if God were new, it's just that... He were. In "my religion" we were never created, in return for an eternity including always before in Heaven with love, pleasure, and God himself.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean that the gods change over time, and that they are no longer what they once were? Do you mean to contrast contemporary gnosis with those of your parents, grandparents, or further back? Or do you mean something else?

This confuses me even more. How can the gods we honor now not be in the moment and modern? That... it would just be very, very weird to not do that with one's theology. Worship something that is totally out of touch with everything that matters? Why would anyone ever do that? It makes no sense, so I've got to be understanding this wrong somewhere.

Well, pulling into the garage today, feeling a little down and out, I thought about God as I turned the car off. I thought to myself, how church is boring, old fashioned, ancient, etc.

...Then I thought to myself: "I wonder if God is old fashioned and boring", and I quickly decided that He is not. He can't be afterall, because God is the future!

So I just wanted to explore the idea of a modern God. But I don't know if that's ultimately possible... So here we are. :)