1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Neoliberal Economists have Cost You Money and Wealth

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by Sunstone, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Sunstone

Sunstone De Diablo Del Fora
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +29,135
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    How have the neoliberals economists cost me?

As I see it, it's my skills, the values I create via my abilities which allow me to ask for proper compensation for my time.

Self interest does not equal greed. To equate capitalism with greed is a complete misrepresentation of capitalism. Self interest can include cooperation, tending the economic garden as it was put. Greed is detrimental to capitalism.

One guy who was himself greedy, made a lot of money being greedy is now going to lecture us about being greedy. Ok, if he saw capitalism as a system of greed, that was his mistake.

The problem of a minimum wage is not it's effect on the economy. The problem is it's effect on the individual. As people rely more and more on the government to take care of them they lose the skill to set there own value. As inflation continues they will be stuck waiting for the government to decide their value for them. The government replaces the cooperation in deciding their worth. What's gained?

3. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    What do you think caused numerous companies to increase their own wages above state and federal limits?

4. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    The desire to keep their employees.

5. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Where would they go?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Somewhere willing to pay more. It costs a lot of money for a company to train workers. Cheaper to increase wages to keep the ones you got. A CEO who doesn't understand this will end up regretting it. It is in the company's mutual interests to keep their workers happy.

7. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Hope you enjoy your strawman. :cool:

8. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Where are they going to go if they aren't happy? Another low paying position where they'll be unhappy?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Nothing but experience. But hey, feel free to take some academic's word on it.

10. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Probably, since public school don't teach self interest well. It's certainly not in their self interest to. So why would they? Probably because they've been taught to let others look out for them.

A good employer will look out for the interest of their employees, a bad one won't. Ideally they will keep looking for one who does. Since they don't, bad employers can keep doing what they do.

11. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    They have been doing that long before minimum wage and labor laws.

12. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    Those who can, do. Those who can't teach.

Never did any of that other stuff, so really couldn't offer an opinion one way or the other. Though certainly I'd be more likely to listen to someone who actually launched a rocket than someone who's only taught the physics of rocketry. Otherwise anyone could pickup a book and start launching rockets successfully. Even with all the academic knowledge one still needs experience to be successful. See it all of the time, engineers right out of school thinking they can fix all of the problems. Very little of that academic knowledge is useful. It's good for a foundations to build on, but nothing beets experience.

13. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    And folks have been letting them. :(

I blame public education. Unfortunately most successful people are left to learn success for their successful parents. I mean what is wrong with a education system that can't teach people to be successful?o_O

14. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Active Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Religion:
    N/A
    I am understandably leery of the type of success achieved via the foundation of a monetary system that first requires a particular socio-economic status only reached through a particular capitalistic standard. In other words, you have to be rich and successful in order to be rich and successful, considering the American Dream is nothing more than an unattainable dream for most everyone except the few who get lucky. Statistics, after all, show that most people who work all their lives never rise above their socio-economic status. The capitalist saying work hard and you will become successful is just another lie for the rich to stay rich while the poor remain poor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Not always. People did riot against it, unions have formed, but many people take a job or they don't eat or feed their family.
    Probably because "success" is not defined the same to everyone. I'm not a success with capitalism, but for my struggles and having came from nothing and no support I've been pretty successful in getting things and achieving goals. Who's success do we teach?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sunstone

Ratings:
    +29,135
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    If you know so much, why are you parroting other people? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this issue?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +42,890
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    I'm reminded of Louis Pasteur's observation...
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    IOW, luck plays a role in success, but ability & drive are important factors too.

18. Sunstone

Ratings:
    +29,135
    Religion:
    Erotic Dancing Girls
    I notice that both here and on other sites, people attacking Hanaeur's position are doing so with insipid, abstract observations -- not with hard facts. Lot's of crap about how this or that is theoretically true -- not much at all that's genuinely factual.

It's Seattle all over again. The neoliberals saying that raising the minimum wage will throw people out of work, put restaurants out of business. Instead, the facts are unemployment went down and the restaurant business boomed. Theory vs. Facts.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,520
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    With typical neoliberal positions about jobs and wages, you'd think great paying jobs were easy, nice benefits a negotiation away, and getting to choose where you work the norm, and poverty defintely not cyclic in nature. That's about as high up there in the ivory tower as it gets, far removed from people having to work nor where they want but where they can get a job, wages and benefits to they have to accept because someone else will, and great wealth coming to very few through actual hard work alone.

20. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,894
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    I think I've expressed quite a few of my own thought, perhaps you haven't noticed.

OTOH, I see no problem using and repeating good ideas. Kind of silly don't you think to condense my posts to a one liner to criticize.

• Winner Winner x 1