• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Murdoch’s Fox News allowed Trump's propaganda to destabilise democracy

tytlyf

Not Religious
(Australia) "How Fox News promoted Donald Trump’s propaganda and helped destabilise democracy in the United States of America: the first of our two-part special on Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
(Australia) "How Fox News promoted Donald Trump’s propaganda and helped destabilise democracy in the United States of America: the first of our two-part special on Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News."

No time to watch a 45-minute video, although when I've seen this topic come up before, it seems to give too much credit to Fox or a single individual (Murdoch), without really looking at the larger picture. I'm not saying they're wrong, but the overall destabilization of our society has been going on for several decades, pre-dating that of Fox News' arrival on the scene.

I have seen RW propaganda for much of my life, so it was never anything new. Cold War era propaganda was very much rightish-oriented, with perhaps a smidgen of anti-war/bleeding-heart liberalism to pacify the masses and justify our position in the world as "defender of freedom." But even beyond that, I've come across Goldwater fans, Birchers, old time McCarthyites of the kind who would make Rush Limbaugh look like a progressive.

But a lot of these people were on the fringe, even back 40-50 years ago. However, when Reagan came on the scene, the media seemed to go out of their way to give him positive coverage, no matter what he did. He was called the "Teflon President," and this was a major turning point. The media gave Reagan-Bush a complete pass, and this had a far greater effect than anything Fox could have done in the relatively short period they've been around.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never thought I'd see it.
The OP is an apologist for OAN.
What else could explain ignoring Trump's
most devious & dedicated cheerleader, eh.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
After "swift boat veterans for "truth" (sick), Obama birth certificate bs etc, it's clear that everyone on the right is a shape-shifting lizard minion of satan working to get everyone tenderized before cthulhu eats them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
After "swift boat veterans for "truth" (sick), Obama birth certificate bs etc, it's clear that everyone on the right is a shape-shifting lizard minion of satan working to get everyone tenderized before cthulhu eats them.
"The right hand of God" was about political orientation,
not dexterity, eh. That's some keen insight.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

And this makes sense as Fox began to back-off on supporting Trump right after the election but then did a 180 to become just as crazy as NewsMax and some others.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
No time to watch a 45-minute video, although when I've seen this topic come up before, it seems to give too much credit to Fox or a single individual (Murdoch), without really looking at the larger picture. I'm not saying they're wrong, but the overall destabilization of our society has been going on for several decades, pre-dating that of Fox News' arrival on the scene.
I don't necessarily disagree with your point about Reagan; I would however argue that the arrival of Fox News was a definite game changer with regards to the greater American media landscape, shifting the expectation of American television news audiences from one centered around centrist-mainstream sources to a strongly partisan one, where each TV news channel would have to situate themselves and their audience alongside a two-sided spectrum between the two dominant political parties.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Great. Propaganda used to report on Propaganda.

What a concept!