• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much warmer was your city in 2017?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The analytics are in! The year 2017 is the second or third hottest year on record, continuing the ongoing trend of warming. Both the two years prior were also record-breakers, but what really sets 2017 apart is the absence of El Niño influence. We expect warmer years when El Niño stirs, because this non-anthropogenic change in ocean currents warms temperatures worldwide. We don't expect them in the absence of an El Niño. There's been little doubt that humans play a significant role in global climate, but that humans now eclipse the effects of non-anthropogenic cycles is definitely something to think about! I found these factoids put out by NOAA to really put things into perspective:
    • No one born since 1977 has experienced a cooler-than-average year compared to the 20th century average. Or, to put it another way, it's been 41 years since we've had a cooler-than-average year.
    • The six warmest years have each occurred since 2010.
    • From 1880 to 1980, the world set a new temperature record about every 13 years on average. Now that happens once every 3 years.
    • The annual global average temperature increased at an average rate of 0.07 degrees Celsius, or 0.13 degrees Fahrenheit, per decade since 1880. However, this rate has sped up to more than twice as fast since 1980.
From - http://mashable.com/2018/01/18/earth-top-3-warmest-year-2017-global-warming/

The New York Times has this interesting interactive feature related to our latest record-setting year: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/21/world/year-in-weather.html

My town was 1.2º above average. What was yours?

I got to thinking about this topic again today given the present weather. Yes, I know, I know... weather is not climate. But when we've been getting consistent rain events in January, that feels just wrong to my very bones. Are the 6+ inch snowfalls of my youth truly a thing of the past? I hope not. Might need to move to Canada to get my snow fix.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Whew, I was worried there for a little while. It appears that AGW is over:

SkepticsvRealistsv3.gif

Oh #$@$!! My gif won't post. Perhaps a link to it will do:

https://static.skepticalscience.com/pics/SkepticsvRealistsv3.gif

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, image postings are broken right now. We aren't sure why. :sweat:
It works if you upload it to your gallery on RF, though.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The analytics are in! The year 2017 is the second or third hottest year on record, continuing the ongoing trend of warming. Both the two years prior were also record-breakers, but what really sets 2017 apart is the absence of El Niño influence. We expect warmer years when El Niño stirs, because this non-anthropogenic change in ocean currents warms temperatures worldwide. We don't expect them in the absence of an El Niño. There's been little doubt that humans play a significant role in global climate, but that humans now eclipse the effects of non-anthropogenic cycles is definitely something to think about! I found these factoids put out by NOAA to really put things into perspective:
    • No one born since 1977 has experienced a cooler-than-average year compared to the 20th century average. Or, to put it another way, it's been 41 years since we've had a cooler-than-average year.
    • From 1880 to 1980, the world set a new temperature record about every 13 years on average. Now that happens once every 3 years.
    • The annual global average temperature increased at an average rate of 0.07 degrees Celsius, or 0.13 degrees Fahrenheit, per decade since 1880. However, this rate has sped up to more than twice as fast since 1980.
From - http://mashable.com/2018/01/18/earth-top-3-warmest-year-2017-global-warming/

The New York Times has this interesting interactive feature related to our latest record-setting year: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/21/world/year-in-weather.html

I got to thinking about this topic again today given the present weather. Yes, I know, I know... weather is not climate. But when we've been getting consistent rain events in January, that feels just wrong to my very bones. Are the 6+ inch snowfalls of my youth truly a thing of the past? I hope not. Might need to move to Canada to get my snow fix.

Just 2.5ºC above normal.
And to be honest, it wasn't all that hot. I have been through much worse...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There's no doubt humans contribute, but I can't help but think that natural processes contribute considerably as well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's no doubt humans contribute, but I can't help but think that natural processes contribute considerably as well.
Sure. The research that established the human component had to subtract natural influences and find the difference between natural influences and the human-added component.