• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much study is needed to realize the wisdom in scriptures?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Paganism, tribal religions, oral traditions, many variations of Hinduism, as we're so vast. I'm sure there are more.

I believe oral traditions are now for the most part written. Most pagan religions and tribal religions have an equivalent of scripture even if it is in their oral traditions handed down. I believe Hinduism for the most part has forms of scripture, and possibly oral traditions that are now written, as is the origins of scripture of other religions.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
To really understand and realize the truth in spiritual/religious scriptures one must study every day. If the study is scattered and not consistent, then there will not rise wisdom from within. If one does not constantly contemplate the teaching and see the truth of it in daily life, one has not yet gained inner wisdom.
As much as it takes to understand that understanding is a life long adventure. If you think you have reached the end of learning and understanding, you know very little "truth".

And one person's truth is one person's truth. Each truth belongs to the one who experiences and understands their own truth. When someone believes they finally understand all of "truth", they cease to learn. They know nothing.

InChrist

Free4ever
To really understand and realize the truth in spiritual/religious scriptures one must study every day. If the study is scattered and not consistent, then there will not rise wisdom from within. If one does not constantly contemplate the teaching and see the truth of it in daily life, one has not yet gained inner wisdom.
Which scriptures are you referring to?

leov

it may be a lifetime or it can be a revelation too.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
one must study every day.
nope.....

picture yourself as someone living in the days of the Carpenter
you don't have books
you can't read

no kind of newspaper or other mass communication

all you get is what someone else pronounces

and some Carpenter comes and goes teaching parables

once in your life ...you get an earful of something better
and then it's up to you to make it grow

Parable of the Sower

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
nope.....

picture yourself as someone living in the days of the Carpenter
you don't have books
you can't read

no kind of newspaper or other mass communication

all you get is what someone else pronounces

and some Carpenter comes and goes teaching parables

once in your life ...you get an earful of something better
and then it's up to you to make it grow

Parable of the Sower
Well according to the Buddha one must study every day, meaning when listening to the teaching, by oral tradition or reading one must cultivate the mind every day.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well according to the Buddha one must study every day, meaning when listening to the teaching, by oral tradition or reading one must cultivate the mind every day.
ok...

but I lean to say.....the parables are sufficient
they are the seeds of wisdom

InChrist

Free4ever
The suttas, the bible, the Qran and so on. that is scripture within Religion and spiritual path
Okay, thank you for clarifying.

According to the Bible...

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever. Psalm 111:10

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10

I used to read the Bible and for the most part to no avail because it often seemed very confusing...until I came to a personal understanding of Who God is, His holiness, majesty, and awesome power and a realization of who I was in light of His Presence and my need to be made right. Once this occurred, the scriptures suddenly became open, clear, and so much easier to understand. The big picture and story from Genesis to Revelation made sense.

Of course, the scriptures encourage a believer to read and study in order that one's mind may be transformed by God's word, but this I think must begin with knowing God through Christ and being born again so as to have the ability to understand God's wisdom.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Okay, thank you for clarifying.

According to the Bible...

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever. Psalm 111:10

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Proverbs 9:10

I used to read the Bible and for the most part to no avail because it often seemed very confusing...until I came to a personal understanding of Who God is, His holiness, majesty, and awesome power and a realization of who I was in light of His Presence and my need to be made right. Once this occurred, the scriptures suddenly became open, clear, and so much easier to understand. The big picture and story from Genesis to Revelation made sense.

Of course, the scriptures encourage a believer to read and study in order that one's mind may be transformed by God's word, but this I think must begin with knowing God through Christ and being born again so as to have the ability to understand God's wisdom.
Personally i never understood the born again concept within christianity ( I was born in to a christian family) But my understanding is that when the wisdom from the teaching arise from within the person ,that is the moment of "Born again" Do you agree on that?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Like just about everything else, if you want to be good you never stop studying.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

re: The Bible, the wisdom derives from studying and from a relationship with The Author. This explains the deficiencies in logic for some here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

There are a ton of scriptures out there. Some are more direct about the 'wisdom' than others. Some are metaphoric or just plain history. The styles of writing vary. To top that off, many are translations, and have already gone through the coloured minds of at least one person (said translator).

For me, it's not about studying scripture, but meditating and observing for oneself to find 'truths', and then if it's useful, perhaps finding a scripture that matches.

HonestJoe

If the writings are so full of wisdom, wouldn’t the authors (mortal or divine) have had the wisdom to make their teachings more easily accessible? I’ve read plenty of wise things (and unwise ones for that matter) and understood them without needing to dedicate a lifetime to the purpose. Couldn’t it be possible that the reason you can’t extract any wisdom from a particular scripture on the first couple of readings is that there is no great wisdom in there in the first place?

Incidentally, if you can’t see the wisdom in my post, you just haven’t spent long enough studying it. :cool:

Hawkins

That depends on what you have to assume. In Christianity we have a God. Thus we have to rely on God in a form to do our studies.

First we need approach a church because a church holds the basic standard. And we have experienced Christians who are practicing how to rely on God to do our studies. It's more like a synchronization. In Bible verse, that's how the branches are to be connected to the vine who is Jesus. And then individually we learn and keep learning how to rely on God the Holy Spirit to reach the details of a truth. Time and after we reconcile with fellow Christians on how we are guided by God the Holy Spirit.

The Bible has basically two fundamental portions. The first part is the message of salvation, while the second part is the knowledge about the biblical theology. There's a standard on how a church shall be approached as well. A church has the salvation power as long as it's compatible with the Apostle's Creed. The less controversial and more conservative a church is the more one is secured in joining such a church. That's how we approach the Bible truth in Christianity.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think that practice is required, and the scriptures need to be read in the context of the stories around them, and for the purpose of learning to live the best possible life, to serve others and to serve the community. I think that the more that people study and practice in that spirit, the better it will be for them, for all people, and for society.