• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much stricter is a Jain monk compared to a Jain Layman?

Theweirdtophat

I know the monks are supposed to be stricter but I hear it's strict, even if you aren't a monk. What are the things the layman doesn't have to do that a monk has to do? What are the differences?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The twelve vows are described as follows:

Five Main Vows of Limited Nature (Anuvratas):
1. Non-violence Anuvrat - Ahimsa Anuvrat (Sthula Pranatipat Viraman)
2. Truthfulness Anuvrat - Satya Anuvrat (Sthula Mrisavada Viraman)
3. Non-stealing Anuvrat - Achaurya Anuvrat (Sthula Adattadana Viraman)
4. Chastity Anuvrat - Bhramacharya Anuvrat (Sthula Maithuna Viraman)
5. Non-attachment Anuvrat- Aparigraha Anuvrat (Sthula Parigraha Viraman)

Three Merit Vows (Guna-vrats):
6. Dik Vrata - Limited area of activity vow
7. Bhoga-Upbhoga Vrata - Limited use of consumable and non-consumable items vow
8. Anartha-danda Vrata - Avoidance of purposeless sins vow

Four Disciplinary Vows (Siksha-vratas):
9. Samayik Vrata - Meditation vow of limited duration
10. Desavakasika Vrata - Activity vow of limiting space
11. Pausadha Vrata - Ascetic's life Vow of limited duration
12. Atithi Samvibhaga Vrata - Limited charity vow
http://www.sacred-texts.com/jai/12vows.txt

'Sthula' means something like 'broadly'. That is for laymen. For monks, the vows are supposed to be absolute. For example laity do not need to cover their mouths as the monks do, they can travel by vehicles and they can engage in business.

Last edited:

Theweirdtophat

Jain laymen are fairly strict even though they aren't monks but thanks for telling me as I always wanted to know the differences between the two? I hear Jain monks won't take antibiotics or medicine as that will harm organisms yet I also see Jains like laymen get into medicinal businesses as well so I guess it depends on how strict one is and what branch they are. I also hear Jain laymen can practice self defense in some cases while monks are totally pacifist.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On the whole you are right, but I do not think Jainism gives permission to violence even in self-defense though the laity may be doing so.

Theweirdtophat

True that Indian Jains are likely different. American Jain lays might be willing to practice self defense. But in the past I hear even Jains served as generals in militaries in the past so I guess it just depends.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I attended a vegetarian conference in Washington, DC, some years ago. There were Jains among the speakers. Speaking with some of them later I was surprised to find out that some had begun eating meat, even beef.
Apparently standards vary.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Westernized Oriental Gentlemen. Sure, there are beef eating Hindus and Jains. My nephew is one of them (though he won't do that while he is here). Don't know about my son, when he is out of India (never asked him). But then he is not very much of a meat man, less than me.

Last edited: