• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much pain ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Has anyone on the forum felt like I have, that I wish I could have a 'painometer' ? People often complain of pain; as soon as I start talking about my own pain to the doctor, he tells me on a scale of 1(low) to 10 (high) he reckons that I am round about the eight mark the whole time. I find this hard to believe, although I must admit that I have learned to 'live with' pain.

I have studied various forms pain management and distress tollerance, but I would really like to be able to compare like for like. Actually, thinking about ity 'Fibromyalgia' is itself a condition caused by the pain receptors being 'bombarded too much for too long' - hence the permanent being tired.:)

ness

michel said:
Has anyone on the forum felt like I have, that I wish I could have a 'painometer' ?
Ohhhhh boy do I ever. I have what is called " Chondromalacia" wich is a form of deterioration of the bones/ joints.
I have had it since I was 12 and have had countless surgeries most of wich didnt do a thing for me. The last surgery I had was about 3 yrs ago it helped for a while but now I am again having major aches.. There is nothing out there that helps ease it either.

My problems range from a little ache to complete agony. sore muscles ect, painful to walk.. ect
More fluid on my left knee then on my right now.... wich was my good one. I have been told by 5 doctors that when I am older I am a candidate for knee replacement. ( o great :mad: )

Michal I so know where you are comming from on this .

My pain between 1-10?
try a 15 :(

cardero

Citizen Mod
michel said:
I have studied various forms pain management and distress tollerance, but I would really like to be able to compare like for like. Actually, thinking about ity 'Fibromyalgia' is itself a condition caused by the pain receptors being 'bombarded too much for too long' - hence the permanent being tired.:)
I dated an older woman who had fibromyalgia and she had a very difficult time coping with it. I have read up on this elusive disease and was a little discouraged that there is really not much in the way of relief from this. Michel, is this something that you have been diagnosed with?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I have a huge IGNORE button when it comes to pain. I ignore the pain even when I should be paying attention to it.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
That would be nice, but I probably would've broken it. When I was in labor with my daughter, I thought I had reinvented the meaning of pain. You will never be conscience of exactly how much pain the human body is capable of feeling without dying unless and until your a woman in labor. But when the nurse asked me to rate it I always said 7, because I didn't want to seem like a wimp. Still, it was all worth it.

Pah

Uber all member
michel said:
Has anyone on the forum felt like I have, that I wish I could have a 'painometer' ? People often complain of pain; as soon as I start talking about my own pain to the doctor, he tells me on a scale of 1(low) to 10 (high) he reckons that I am round about the eight mark the whole time. I find this hard to believe, although I must admit that I have learned to 'live with' pain.

I know the plight of FMS'ers having had a girlfriend with it and I've done some research (perhaps much of it forgotten today). Males are infrequently affected and I am sorry that you join that rare group!. My gal used to run at 7 (her scale) and have bouts of 9 or 9 1/2. It used to partially put my pains into perspective. (I still hurt and was a bit self-centered when I'm at, say a 3 or 4). The pain is a tremendous part of FMS but the ancilliary symtoms are horrible too! - irratible bowels, forgetfulness, twitching of limbs, sleep deprevation, sensitivity to cold. and much more! I hope these are minimized with you Michel if you indeed are diagnosed with FMS.

My pain scale has a "ten" but it was fleeting. It happens (3 times)when I am externally cardioverted for ventricular fibulation and remain conscious during it. But I rather have that then the constant pain of FMS.

I am so sorry Michel and you will have a stronger place in my thoughts from this day forth.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Michel, one of my best friends has fibromyalgia, so I kinda know what you're going through, and I think the worst part of it, at least for her, is that no one seems to understand.

robtex

Veteran Member
Michel and Ness I am really sorry. I once dated a woman in her late 20's with a bone diese that had fiberbromyalgia. I wanted to get her into tai chi but she wasn't receptive to the idea. Being as you two are a little more experienced maybe yall could start a thread on exrecises and wellness things you have tried and how they worked for you.

I taught my ex how to meditate and sometimes it seemed like she "dissappeared" in her own world for spots in time but it was always so temporarly It was so frustertating. She studied tae kwon do (korean martial art) and we would stretch together alot to get the stiffness out of her muscles. Isometric floor stretches as opposed to those using motion to stretch the muscles.

That and I would read to her while she was taking a hot bath or rub her shoulders....warm water seemed to work really well. But somebody cruising these forums is bound to have pain problems but is much younger and could benefit from yall's wisdom. Maybe a thread on general home wellness ideas....swapping and sharing ideas would be a good thing.

Am I currect in my observation that woman seem to get fiberbromyalgia much more often than men?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
Michel and Ness I am really sorry. I once dated a woman in her late 20's with a bone diese that had fiberbromyalgia. I wanted to get her into tai chi but she wasn't receptive to the idea. Being as you two are a little more experienced maybe yall could start a thread on exrecises and wellness things you have tried and how they worked for you.

I taught my ex how to meditate and sometimes it seemed like she "dissappeared" in her own world for spots in time but it was always so temporarly It was so frustertating. She studied tae kwon do (korean martial art) and we would stretch together alot to get the stiffness out of her muscles. Isometric floor stretches as opposed to those using motion to stretch the muscles.

That and I would read to her while she was taking a hot bath or rub her shoulders....warm water seemed to work really well. But somebody cruising these forums is bound to have pain problems but is much younger and could benefit from yall's wisdom. Maybe a thread on general home wellness ideas....swapping and sharing ideas would be a good thing.

Am I currect in my observation that woman seem to get fiberbromyalgia much more often than men?
Hi Rob,

Yes - I don't know why ,ore women suffer from Fribromyalgia, but, as you say, that is the norm. As with Osteoporosis, which is common in post menopausal women, yet for some reason, I have that too - even my jawbones are full of 'pockets'; I'm trying to work out what the best thing to do is. With receding gums, the food can go down below the tooth and give me abscesses - then I have to have the tooth out (Even if there is nothing wrong with it).

Ness, If you are reading this, I am so sorry to hear about your problems; I had a new hip put in in 2001 and Marie and I were remarking that the scar seems to have almost completely gone (They had to open me up 1'6"- to try and shorten the leg,peg it with titanium, and a titaniun socket and plastic ball joint). All in all, I think I'd be worth quite a bit for scrap value!!! At the time I was in hospital, rthere was a guy having the first of his two 'knee' jobs; we had great fun - we took to each other.

One week end, when we were the only two in the ward, we got the staff nurse's OK to have an 'Indian take-away' brought into the hospital (We could'nt have any alcohol because we were both on morphine at the time); it was so funny - we went into the visitor's lounge next to our ward, and invited all the nurses on night shift to join us . It was the first time they'd had to deal with idiots like us.

It seems like you're worse off than I though, and I am sorry to hear it - perhaps we can 'swap' pain management techniques.

ness

michel said:
It seems like you're worse off than I though, and I am sorry to hear it - perhaps we can 'swap' pain management techniques.
Most definetly Michel You wanna start the thread? :)

It seems to me as though people with Fibromyalgia have it a little bit harder than me though.. I will explain that in "our" thread :)

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I'm known for like...having an extremely high pain tolerance. If I complain of something hurting, it really hurts. Same goes for feeling sick...I /rarely/ get sick, so when I say I feel sick, I'm already at the stage where I should just stay in bed XD.

Master Vigil

I just read a study on the positve effects meditation has on fibromyalgia. I forget where though, I will try to find a link later.

The worst pain I ever felt was back in middle school. I started working with chi and went a little above my head. I ended up cramping up almost all of my muscles in the arms, legs, torso and neck. It was completely HORRIBLE!!!! I seriously thought I was going to die. It felt like my whole body was being ripped apart. And it lasted almost 2 monites. I vowed from then on to never practice chi manipulation again, and it took me about 5 or so years before I tried again. Other than that, my work with chi has allowed me to block out pain. I feel for those who deal with pain on a regular basis. I really do.

ayani

i'm not too familiar with alternative pain therapies... my mother practices acupuncture, and a number of her patients have reported a great decrease in their pain since starting the therapy, but it doesn't work for everyone. it might be worth looking into, though!

Melody

michel said:
Ahh...but by whose scale? Everyone has a different pain threshold so your 8 could be someone else's 1...or 15. I always thought those scales were stupid. The last time a doctor asked me that (when I was in labor with my youngest), I told him I would be happy to give him some physical feedback and let him decide for himself. Not a surprise that he stepped out of arm's reach and didn't take me up on it.

Melody

Master Vigil said:
I just read a study on the positve effects meditation has on fibromyalgia. I forget where though, I will try to find a link later.
You beat me to it. I've used meditation in the past when I'm in serious pain. It's less ridding myself of the pain as it is removing myself from it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The doctors have told me I have a high tolerance of pain when it comes to my jaw, since I'm able to eat and whatnot when it's almost constantly hurting. It's just something I don't really pay attention to. For it to get my attention, it'd have to get up to a 4 or 5. The worst pain I've had with it had my whole head feel like it was being smashed by a hammer... I'd give that a 6, MAYBE a 7.

From what I understand, the only thing that is at a 10 on the pain scale is breaking the femur.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Probably one of the thoughts that prompted me to start this thread was the commonly said "If you men had to bear Children........":)

groovydancer88

I hope you feel better, to all of you in pain!

I have a really random pain. It's nothing huge (especially compared to what you all have felt, I'm sure), maybe a two or a three, but for some very odd reason the sound a bumblebee or a wasp buzzing around (particularly from behind me) sends a spasm of pain up my spine. It's the strangest thing ever. I have a very sensitive back, but this is a bit much! :)