• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of the Old Testament do the people of Islam believe are genuine, if any?

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Please let me know what you think. I am curious as to what books are accepted in the Islamic faith. I'm not looking for a debate, just your thoughts.

And thank you in advance for responding.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Hi FB, welcome to the Islam DIR

Generally our scholars say that whatever that's in the OT that doesn't contradict the Qur'an is from God as it was revealed to Jesus, peace be upon him and his mother.

On the other hand though, because we believe that it has been altered some parts that are in line with Islamic teachings may be from human additions which then goes back to our Prophet peace be upon him, who saw his companion having a page of the Bible in his hand and telling him that he is at risk of accepting what may be false (altered) and rejecting what may be truth (revelation) and so forbade them from reading it.

However, there are many many scholars who do read the Bible in order to understand Christianity better and not to learn/put into practice anything contained in it.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Hi FB, welcome to the Islam DIR

Generally our scholars say that whatever that's in the OT that doesn't contradict the Qur'an is from God as it was revealed to Jesus, peace be upon him and his mother.

On the other hand though, because we believe that it has been altered some parts that are in line with Islamic teachings may be from human additions which then goes back to our Prophet peace be upon him, who saw his companion having a page of the Bible in his hand and telling him that he is at risk of accepting what may be false (altered) and rejecting what may be truth (revelation) and so forbade them from reading it.

However, there are many many scholars who do read the Bible in order to understand Christianity better and not to learn/put into practice anything contained in it.

I was kind of looking for an answer to my question that defined which OT books are generally accepted as genuine by most Islamic theologians.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I was kind of looking for an answer to my question that defined which OT books are generally accepted as genuine by most Islamic theologians.

I haven't come across any scholar that has been so specific. I don't know if it's an entire book that they accept or reject.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Please let me know what you think. I am curious as to what books are accepted in the Islamic faith. I'm not looking for a debate, just your thoughts.

And thank you in advance for responding.

We believe it's corrupted by human being (not orginal) , so we don't accept them in the Islam faith.
I personally respect them as Book from God edited by human, I respect the scriptures which match with our beliefs.

Raahim

مكتوب
We believe it's corrupted by human being (not orginal) , so we don't accept them in the Islam faith.
I personally respect them as Book from God edited by human, I respect the scriptures which match with our beliefs.

Is there any proof that it was corrupted by man except that it's written in the Quran? I'm not so sure about that for Torah, but I do agree on that in scriptures of Christianity.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Is there any proof that it was corrupted by man except that it's written in the Quran? I'm not so sure about that for Torah, but I do agree on that in scriptures of Christianity.

Please watch this video

100% Proof Quran is The Word Of God - Talk By Dr Zakir Naik

Raahim

مكتوب
Please watch this video

100% Proof Quran is The Word Of God - Talk By Dr Zakir Naik

Thank you for the share, I will watch it later because I saw a video on ReligiousForums.com about linguistic miracles of the Quran and one person sent me another video about Islam in 21st century so with studying for university it will take some time for me to watch those videos.:(

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Thank you for the share, I will watch it later because I saw a video on ReligiousForums.com about linguistic miracles of the Quran and one person sent me another video about Islam in 21st century so with studying for university it will take some time for me to watch those videos.:(
You welcome for any question , we will help you for sure :)
Thats was a short one btw

Wasp

which then goes back to our Prophet peace be upon him, who saw his companion having a page of the Bible in his hand and telling him that he is at risk of accepting what may be false (altered) and rejecting what may be truth (revelation) and so forbade them from reading it.
What hadith is that?

The old testament is not at all the Torah mentioned in the Qur'an. It's an entirely different "book".