• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

allfoak

Alchemist
I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological?

The main reason I ask is that I don't want to be rewriting the Bible for an absurdly long short story and I don't quite fully know if Judeo-christian scripture is a mythology. This edition of the series will be titled "Onstad Mythologies: of Biblical proportions" and the first story in that compilation centers around the origins of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

I plan to use real world understanding of science as well as my own spin on the scripture to make That very story that will serve to build up the world that I plan on using for other editions (I'm also planning for a Greek edition, an Islamic edition, a Hindu edition etc.) and the different pantheons that mortals have worshipped corresponds to multiversial nation-states that different factions of gods rule.

The stories themselves will be fantasy, but broaght into today's modern society (e.g. Angels of death who wield machine guns, elvenfolk who run credit card Ponzi schemes). Now, I am on the first story that builds up the character of God (and his five alter egoes) at the point where the events of Genisis are about to happen whitch brings me back to this question: How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?
It is all written in the language of the soul.
The soul is a multidimensional eternal being of light that sees things for what they represent.
All things have a signature that can be seen through the eyes of the soul.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Did you misunderstand intentionally?

... I'll be happy to inform you that the last thing before you are shoveled into the crematory are giants.

I believe none is mythology, I take the word of God literal!

No misunderstanding at all. Your 'belief' is that the Bible is the literal word of God using only selective internal evidence. By the actual historical evidence the Bible is an edited redacted compilation with mostly unknown authorship and poor provenance.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Orthodox jews would disagree...

Concerning the very limited provenance of the Bible, Torah, and the Tanakh I go with the historical and archaeological evidence. Fundamentalist Christians, Orthodox Jews, the Roman Church, the Orthodox churches, and other churches each have their agenda to justify their scripture,

A major indication that the Bible is mythology, is it's many references to 'Giants', throughout the entire Bible, Genesis, Deuteronomy, Joshua and Samuel , that i determined to originate from Greek mythology.

The name of the Serpent, also means 'Bronze' and it is also the name of the King of Ammon , who seems to had an affair with David's mother, producing his half-sisters and David apparently slew Giants, known as Rapha from Gath. This mythology is clearly not Semitic but Greek and Eastern European.
Much of the bible is plagiarism and is lacking in much consistency apart from when you get to I and II Kings and I and II Chronicles which is largely pseudo-history.

It says serpent not Satan, and YHVH punishes it by making it a serpent on the ground FOREVER. So definitely NOT Satan.

Gen 3:14 And the YHVH Elohiym said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

There is no reason to take Genesis as a true story, rather than a teaching story.

Nachash also means to Hiss Incantations, a sorcerer.

As a "teaching story" it leaves much to be desired unless you favour a god who commands his followers to commit atrocities and acts of genocide.

Ellen Brown

I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological?

The main reason I ask is that I don't want to be rewriting the Bible for an absurdly long short story and I don't quite fully know if Judeo-christian scripture is a mythology. This edition of the series will be titled "Onstad Mythologies: of Biblical proportions" and the first story in that compilation centers around the origins of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

I plan to use real world understanding of science as well as my own spin on the scripture to make That very story that will serve to build up the world that I plan on using for other editions (I'm also planning for a Greek edition, an Islamic edition, a Hindu edition etc.) and the different pantheons that mortals have worshipped corresponds to multiversial nation-states that different factions of gods rule.

The stories themselves will be fantasy, but broaght into today's modern society (e.g. Angels of death who wield machine guns, elvenfolk who run credit card Ponzi schemes). Now, I am on the first story that builds up the character of God (and his five alter egoes) at the point where the events of Genisis are about to happen whitch brings me back to this question: How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

I wish you the best on your writing, and that you find a supportive publisher. I write mostly Feminist Science Fiction that focuses on good Aliens and good Arabs. I publish on a limited basis on line.

My own background is largely Christian, and I have studied the Bible just lots. I think the Bible is largely true, but do realize that most of the old stories were told by very primitive and mostly men. Much of the Bible is sexist, but that does not impact on the credibility of the work. Most Biblical scholars I have met have a very narrow view of ancient history.

I'm fascinated with the "Priest of Salem" and wish we had gotten more of the story about who he is/was. What would I have done if two strangers had walked up to me that would later destroy Sodom and Gomorrah with fire? What would I think if one of my friends was Moses, and he later went on to stop the water in the Red Sea? This same Moses, according to the writing would later meet God as a burning bush and much later meet and talk to God. I'm not saying anything that is not IN the Bible. Another big question for me is what did Ezekiel see? I am very open to the idea that he saw some sort of aircraft.

There have disappointingly always been those people around that say the Bible is largely a fable, but I am not one of them. Perhaps most other religious works have an element of truth in them. And what of that huge, fascinating art that depicts Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism?

Have fun with your writing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That serpent did talk whatever it was. We know that the serpent was Satan. Whether it was actually a serpent or a metaphor to describe Satan it's still talking about something believed to be real, not mythological.
I agree....and have posted for years.....

the garden event includes a serpent
and that notation refers to the character...of the 'character'
not his physical form

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
any story you don't want to believe in ....is a myth

I believe myth is not just what one does not believe. Myths and legends are stories that have there roots in ancient oral stories, like Gilgamesh, and the creation stories first recorded in Sumarian cuneiform tablets. All cultures of the world have myths and legends that began as handed oral stories. Genesis has its roots in ancient mythology..