• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Jesus says the serpent was Satan. Although Satan is a big name, most people do not love Satan. He is held in low esteem as if crawling on his belly and facing rejection wherever he goes. Like how Jesus said to "wipe the dust off your feet wherever the people don't believe you" Satan eats a lot of dust.

Here is a Biblical Archaeology article about where Satan comes from. I don't agree with all of it, but it tells you the Serpent in Genesis is NOT Satan. That idea is much later.

"Introduced as “the most clever of all of the beasts of the field that YHWH God had made,” the serpent in the Garden of Eden is portrayed as just that: a serpent. Satan does not make an appearance in Genesis 2–3, for the simple reason that when the story was written, the concept of the devil had not yet been invented. Explaining the serpent in the Garden of Eden as Satan would have been as foreign a concept to the ancient authors of the text as referring to Ezekiel’s vision as a UFO (but Google “Ezekiel’s vision” now, and you’ll see that plenty of people today have made that connection!). In fact, while the word satan appears elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, it is never a proper name; since there is no devil in ancient Israel’s worldview, there can’t yet have been a proper name for such a creature...." How the Serpent Became Satan - Biblical Archaeology Society

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Here is a Biblical Archaeology article about where Satan comes from. I don't agree with all of it, but it tells you the Serpent in Genesis is NOT Satan. That idea is much later.

"Introduced as “the most clever of all of the beasts of the field that YHWH God had made,” the serpent in the Garden of Eden is portrayed as just that: a serpent. Satan does not make an appearance in Genesis 2–3, for the simple reason that when the story was written, the concept of the devil had not yet been invented. Explaining the serpent in the Garden of Eden as Satan would have been as foreign a concept to the ancient authors of the text as referring to Ezekiel’s vision as a UFO (but Google “Ezekiel’s vision” now, and you’ll see that plenty of people today have made that connection!). In fact, while the word satan appears elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, it is never a proper name; since there is no devil in ancient Israel’s worldview, there can’t yet have been a proper name for such a creature...." How the Serpent Became Satan - Biblical Archaeology Society

Since the scriptures, the information that the serpent was the devil came from God, it is entirely possible that the people did not know the serpent was Satan until God told them it was Satan.

Magus

Proving the mythological point by reiterating talking snakes and a magical red devil man called Satan, which also proves Christianity is Polytheism , God as a Son, God as a protagonist , Giants and Dragons.

Obvious signs of mythology

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Since the scriptures, the information that the serpent was the devil came from God, it is entirely possible that the people did not know the serpent was Satan until God told them it was Satan.

No, it later became mixed with other religions' ideas about an evil character, and changed.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological?

The main reason I ask is that I don't want to be rewriting the Bible for an absurdly long short story and I don't quite fully know if Judeo-christian scripture is a mythology. This edition of the series will be titled "Onstad Mythologies: of Biblical proportions" and the first story in that compilation centers around the origins of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

I plan to use real world understanding of science as well as my own spin on the scripture to make That very story that will serve to build up the world that I plan on using for other editions (I'm also planning for a Greek edition, an Islamic edition, a Hindu edition etc.) and the different pantheons that mortals have worshipped corresponds to multiversial nation-states that different factions of gods rule.

The stories themselves will be fantasy, but broaght into today's modern society (e.g. Angels of death who wield machine guns, elvenfolk who run credit card Ponzi schemes). Now, I am on the first story that builds up the character of God (and his five alter egoes) at the point where the events of Genisis are about to happen whitch brings me back to this question: How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

obviously many of the places are real, because the writers knew those places and used them as a stage for the mythology. I see no reason to suppose that any of the miracles or god claims are anything but mythology, as there isn't sufficient evidence to confirm them.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Because serpents are so loveable it could have never meant an evil creature from the beginning.

You can be as sarcastic as you want.

The Biblical scholars, both Christian and Jewish, - have spoken.

Did you read the whole Biblical Archaeology article?

Also no evil creature from the beginning. Genesis says the serpent was part of the beast creation - which Elohiym calls GOOD.

Gen 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

Gen 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

The bible is still used as history book for jewish schoolars.

If look at religion as science, what we can observe through deductive and inductive reasoning, sacraments and appointed feast (holy communion, sabbath and the passover) by Christians and Jews are a fact. As we read history as science we learn the scrap up clauses from documents and from the clauses we read in history books we draw inductive conclusions. In my experience many of the ancient books and antique books is collected as a treasure through grave plundering and causing artifacts from tombs (from Egypt's pyramids to walk among the ghosttowns in Greek and roman world world) and from many of these sources we have learned ancient and antique religion. The bible holds a lot of miracals that is doctors and since can observe but is classified by authorities. You have all heard the preachers voices, it has gone out to the entire world. I am actually waiting for the deniers to see a giant walk by the horizon before their mouth is shut. For the creation. God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. He said "...Let there be light" he did not say "let there be a nuke" or "let there be a ebola virus", heck even I can say "let there be a nuke" If i wanted i could say "Let there be a Ebola virus" eventually you will understand the power of the word, it belongs to the basic learning of what we knows as litterature...

According to church fathers, Lucifer was the highest among angels, an archangel, that rebelled against God and became Satan, after his rebellion he was chained in everlasting bonds in the abyss (Isaiah 14). In Esekiel 28 a figure adress as the king of tyre is the serpent of the Old, that is the same Angel as Lucifer according to church fathers. In the bible, chruch fathers has the doctrine of Lucifer and demons we read on in demonology studies, has a connection between serveral names adressed as satan. Satan is the hebrew word for slander and accuser. - The angel is adressed as the serpent from the old, the devil, belzeebub (meaning lord of flies), enmy, prince of darkness, prince of the power of the air and more.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The bible is still used as history book for jewish schoolars.

Actually this an over statement as to how Jewish scholars today used the Tanakh. I believe that Jewish commentary and Midrash considers the Tanakh as set in history, and not history.

If look at religion as science, what we can observe through deductive and inductive reasoning, sacraments and appointed feast (holy communion, sabbath and the passover) by Christians and Jews are a fact. As we read history as science we learn the scrap up clauses from documents and from the clauses we read in history books we draw inductive conclusions. In my experience many of the ancient books and antique books is collected as a treasure through grave plundering and causing artifacts from tombs (from Egypt's pyramids to walk among the ghosttowns in Greek and roman world world) and from many of these sources we have learned ancient and antique religion. The bible holds a lot of miracles that is doctors and since can observe but is classified by authorities. You have all heard the preachers voices, it has gone out to the entire world. I am actually waiting for the deniers to see a giant walk by the horizon before their mouth is shut. For the creation. God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. He said "...Let there be light" he did not say "let there be a nuke" or "let there be a ebola virus", heck even I can say "let there be a nuke" If i wanted i could say "Let there be a Ebola virus" eventually you will understand the power of the word, it belongs to the basic learning of what we knows as literature...

This reflects a mythical view of the Bible.

DavidFirth

Actually, I did respond to your post citing my post!?!?!?! This is an open form, and I may respond to any post you put up. If you wish to limit responses use a DIR section.

No, I prefer to just tell you I wasn't talking to you. If you don't like that then that's tobad.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
According to church fathers, Lucifer was the highest among angels, an archangel, that rebelled against God and became Satan

There is no Lucifer in Tanakh - and nowhere does it say the Christian Lucifer became the Hebrew Satan.

after his rebellion he was chained in everlasting bonds in the abyss (Isaiah 14).

Isaiah 14 is about an actual war, and a human.

Isa 14:4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

Isa 14:16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

Isa 14:22 For I will rise up against them, saith the YHVH of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD.

In Esekiel 28 a figure adress as the king of tyre is the serpent of the Old, that is the same Angel as Lucifer according to church fathers. In the bible, chruch fathers has the doctrine of Lucifer and demons we read on in demonology studies, has a connection between serveral names adressed as satan. Satan is the hebrew word for slander and accuser. - The angel is adressed as the serpent from the old, the devil, belzeebub (meaning lord of flies), enmy, prince of darkness, prince of the power of the air and more.

Ezekiel is also about a human, and an actual event.

Eze 28:4 With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures: (Do you think Satan is acquiring gold and silver and treasure? NOPE!)

Eze 28:9 Will you still say, I am of the Elohiym before him who strikes you? But you are a man, and not El, in the hands of him who kills you.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Mythology? None of it. My understanding of it, does not come from my own originality.....I was taught, through intensive study. And, I can honestly say I have not encountered any substantial contradictions in it. Google 'Sir Frederick Kenyon and the Bible' -- you might be surprised!

Is there symbolic language? Certainly! Revelation, Daniel and Ezekiel are loaded with it! But the events described in other books (Genesis, etc.), imo, really occurred, and evidence is there to support it.

But the truth behind Revelation 12:9 ("...misleading the entire inhabited Earth"), cannot be overstated; we as humans face that enemy, who is far more devious than any of us.... and he's invisible, too! Furthermore, the Scriptures, i.e., the Bible, inform us he tries to influence our human leaders! Exodus 7 and Daniel 10:13, Daniel 10:20-21 tells us these things.

And our society is evidence to give credence to this as being fact: Don't all of us want peace? Then why can't mankind accomplish that objective? It's almost as if something is working against us! There's more confusion and suffering in our world today than ever before.

These forums, fantastic though they are, are proof of the so many conflicting beliefs among humans! Satan is accomplishing his purpose!

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Mythology? None of it. My understanding of it, does not come from my own originality.....I was taught, through intensive study. And, I can honestly say I have not encountered any substantial contradictions in it. Google 'Sir Frederick Kenyon and the Bible' -- you might be surprised!

Is there symbolic language? Certainly! Revelation, Daniel and Ezekiel are loaded with it! But the events described in other books (Genesis, etc.), imo, really occurred, and evidence is there to support it.

But the truth behind Revelation 12:9 ("...misleading the entire inhabited Earth"), cannot be understated; we as humans face that enemy, who is far more devious than any of us.... and he's invisible, too! Furthermore, the Scriptures, i.e., the Bible, inform us he tries to influence our human leaders!

And our society is evidence to give credence to this as being fact: Don't all of us want peace? Then why can't mankind accomplish that objective? It's almost as if something is working against us! There's more confusion and suffering in our world today than ever before.

These forums, fantastic though they are, are proof of the so many conflicting beliefs among humans! Satan is accomplishing his purpose!

Okay! It is your understanding of the Bible, but mythology factually lies at the heart of Genesis and other historical accounts as previously cited. The Creation accounts including the world flood are clearly from Babylonian. Canaanite, and Ugarit mythology with no basis in factual known history of our world.

Did you misunderstand intentionally?

... I'll be happy to inform you that the last thing before you are shoveled into the crematory are giants.

I believe none is mythology, I take the word of God literal!