• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

Tonstad39

Senior headwriter of the Onstad Mythology Series
I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological?

The main reason I ask is that I don't want to be rewriting the Bible for an absurdly long short story and I don't quite fully know if Judeo-christian scripture is a mythology. This edition of the series will be titled "Onstad Mythologies: of Biblical proportions" and the first story in that compilation centers around the origins of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

I plan to use real world understanding of science as well as my own spin on the scripture to make That very story that will serve to build up the world that I plan on using for other editions (I'm also planning for a Greek edition, an Islamic edition, a Hindu edition etc.) and the different pantheons that mortals have worshipped corresponds to multiversial nation-states that different factions of gods rule.

The stories themselves will be fantasy, but broaght into today's modern society (e.g. Angels of death who wield machine guns, elvenfolk who run credit card Ponzi schemes). Now, I am on the first story that builds up the character of God (and his five alter egoes) at the point where the events of Genisis are about to happen whitch brings me back to this question: How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
On questions like yours are built great arguments. My answer is that you need to first subtract the moral and ethical teachings including parables. Then subtract parts of the Bible that can be interpreted as metaphorical. Then there are a few sections with historical and archeological evidence. The rest is candidates for being considered mythology by some.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological?

The main reason I ask is that I don't want to be rewriting the Bible for an absurdly long short story and I don't quite fully know if Judeo-christian scripture is a mythology. This edition of the series will be titled "Onstad Mythologies: of Biblical proportions" and the first story in that compilation centers around the origins of God and the Kingdom of Heaven.

I plan to use real world understanding of science as well as my own spin on the scripture to make That very story that will serve to build up the world that I plan on using for other editions (I'm also planning for a Greek edition, an Islamic edition, a Hindu edition etc.) and the different pantheons that mortals have worshipped corresponds to multiversial nation-states that different factions of gods rule.

The stories themselves will be fantasy, but broaght into today's modern society (e.g. Angels of death who wield machine guns, elvenfolk who run credit card Ponzi schemes). Now, I am on the first story that builds up the character of God (and his five alter egoes) at the point where the events of Genisis are about to happen whitch brings me back to this question: How much of the Bible counts as Mythology?
What exactly do you mean by mythology?

The popular definition of myth means something like "an untrue story", a pejorative rubric by which none of the Bible qualifies straightforwardly; all portions of it are true at least according to at least some large populations in the world. Even to, say, an avowedly atheist social scientist who holds no part of it to be factually true, the Bible holds phenomenological truth: it is demonstrably real, and manifests not just as a physical book but as psychological and social realities.

To a folklorist or linguist, mythology has a more technical definition, meant to capture phenomenological importance without messing with ontology, and speak more precisely about the subject or goal of mythology. An example definition is found in Eliade (1963):

"Myth is always an account of creation; it relates how something was produced, came to be ... Myths disclose [supernatural beings'] creative activity and reveal the sacredness of their works."

By such a definition, only a few portions of the Bible are really to be considered mythology: The books of the Tanakh, which recount the creation of the world and the establishment of Israel as a state under the protection of YHWH, the books of Samuel, which recount the divine establishment of the monarchy, several of the Psalms that have mythological content , and debatably the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles, which are foundational to Christian practices.

If all of this is news to you, I can't say I'm much interested in your book; you really ought to research before publishing on faith and literature, and by "research" I do not mean polling forums. If you like, I can recommend a bibliography to start with.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I'm not here to bash christianity or to insult individual Christians, but I do have one question that will help me out with the first edition of my upcoming short story compilations: How much of the Bible is Mythological? ...

It's hard to say. It is a jumbled mix.

It has history, glorified history, fake history, myth, and teaching stories.

You should talk to someone who knows Tanakh. Multiple books which at first seem to be different, - are actually talking about the same war, or the captivity of the people, etc.

The Bible says YHVH gave them the land and they war their way across it. It says they killed off the Canaanites, etc.

Scholars don't see this in the archaeological record. In fact some think the Hebrew were desert tribal Canaanites.

And as someone recently posted, - Science has proven that Canaanite DNA is alive and kicking today.

Tonstad39

Senior headwriter of the Onstad Mythology Series
How much of it do you think is mythology?
Namely the following: The divine war in heaven, Adam and Eve, The Tower of Bethel, Moses parting the Red Sea and recieving the covenant, The temptation of Jesus and the second comming of Jesus
If you are asking this question you are unqualified to write a short story compilation. You will only confuse people by doing so.
It's nice to have Second opinions *shrugs*
What exactly do you mean by mythology?
I mean folk lore that I could use without being a revision of the Bible itself, I'm a fiction writer not a prophet

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

I mean folk lore that I could use without being a revision of the Bible itself, I'm a fiction writer not a prophet

You could look into the Lilith mythology. Or Tehom/Tiamat in relationship to Genesis. https://www.quora.com/Hebrew-Bible-...s-its-philological-root-and-possible-meanings

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
None is Mythology, it's presented as truth.

Presented as truth, doesn't mean it is.

There are teaching stories in there.

Serpents and As**s don't talk, - but the as* story teaches, and shows that humans can be more stubborn and stupid then as**es. :D

Num 22:21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his a*s, and went with the princes of Moab.

Num 22:22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of YHVH stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his as*, and his two servants were with him.

Num 22:23 And the as* saw the angel of YHVH standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the *** turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the as*, to turn her into the way.

Num 22:24 But the angel of YHVH stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.

Num 22:25 And when the as* saw the angel of YHVH, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.

Num 22:26 And the angel of YHVH went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.

Num 22:27 And when the as* saw the angel of YHVH, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the as* with a staff.

Num 22:28 And YHVH opened the mouth of the as*, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

Num 22:29 And Balaam said unto the as*, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.

Num 22:30 And the as* said unto Balaam, Am not I thine as*, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.

Num 22:31 Then YHVH opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of YHVH standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

Num 22:32 And the angel of YHVH said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine as* these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:

Num 22:33 And the as* saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Presented as truth, doesn't mean it is.

There are teaching stories in there.

Serpents and As**s don't talk, - but the as* story teaches, and shows that humans can be more stubborn and stupid then as**es. :D

Num 22:21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his a*s, and went with the princes of Moab.

Num 22:22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the angel of YHVH stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his as*, and his two servants were with him.

Num 22:23 And the as* saw the angel of YHVH standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the *** turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the as*, to turn her into the way.

Num 22:24 But the angel of YHVH stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side.

Num 22:25 And when the as* saw the angel of YHVH, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again.

Num 22:26 And the angel of YHVH went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.

Num 22:27 And when the as* saw the angel of YHVH, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the as* with a staff.

Num 22:28 And YHVH opened the mouth of the as*, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

Num 22:29 And Balaam said unto the as*, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.

Num 22:30 And the as* said unto Balaam, Am not I thine as*, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.

Num 22:31 Then YHVH opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of YHVH standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

Num 22:32 And the angel of YHVH said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine as* these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:

Num 22:33 And the as* saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive.

That serpent did talk whatever it was. We know that the serpent was Satan. Whether it was actually a serpent or a metaphor to describe Satan it's still talking about something believed to be real, not mythological.

How much of the Bible is Mythological?

Pretty much all of it, although some of the more overtly legalistic stuff might be a grey area.

Myths are just traditional narratives that explain origins, cultural practices, values, etc. Despite its most common modern usage, the term myth doesn't differentiate between the real and the fictitious and myths can be grounded in real events and happenings.

Myth, in the broader sense, relates to genre rather than truth value.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
That serpent did talk whatever it was. We know that the serpent was Satan. Whether it was actually a serpent or a metaphor to describe Satan it's still talking about something believed to be real, not mythological.

It says serpent not Satan, and YHVH punishes it by making it a serpent on the ground FOREVER. So definitely NOT Satan.

Gen 3:14 And the YHVH Elohiym said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

There is no reason to take Genesis as a true story, rather than a teaching story.

Nachash also means to Hiss Incantations, a sorcerer.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It says serpent not Satan, and YHVH punishes it by making it a serpent on the ground FOREVER. So definitely NOT Satan.

Gen 3:14 And the YHVH Elohiym said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

There is no reason to take Genesis as a true story, rather than a teaching story.

Nachash also means to Hiss Incantations, a sorcerer.

Jesus says the serpent was Satan. Although Satan is a big name, most people do not love Satan. He is held in low esteem as if crawling on his belly and facing rejection wherever he goes. Like how Jesus said to "wipe the dust off your feet wherever the people don't believe you" Satan eats a lot of dust.

Magus

A major indication that the Bible is mythology, is it's many references to 'Giants', throughout the entire Bible, Genesis, Deuteronomy, Joshua and Samuel , that i determined to originate from Greek mythology.

The name of the Serpent, also means 'Bronze' and it is also the name of the King of Ammon , who seems to had an affair with David's mother, producing his half-sisters and David apparently slew Giants, known as Rapha from Gath. This mythology is clearly not Semitic but Greek and Eastern European.