• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much of an Authoritarian Are You?

How did you score?

• 80% or more

• 60%-79%

• 40%-59%

• 20%-39%

• 19% or less

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tambourine

Everyone submits to authority to some degree, we all listen to authorities (be they parents, teachers, officials, police etc.) but some people take it further and submit to authority even when that authority is dishonest, corrupt, or otherwise pursueing its own self interests at the expense of everyone else's - that's Authoritarianism.

Psychologists found out that Authoritarianism is made up of three main criteria - submission to authority, high conventionalism, and aggression against subversive elements of society.

This test was conceived to measure these criteria.

Following World War II there was a significant amount of interest in what was termed the "authoritarian personality". Psychologists wanted to understand the psychologies of fascist regimes and their followers. This line of research produced the California F-scale (F for fascist) in 1947. The Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale was developed by Bob Altemeyer in 1981 as a revision of the F-scale that improved its statistical properties.

Right Wing Authoritarianism Scale

You don't have to post your results here if you don't want to, I just found it a neat little device for introspection and self reflection in political matters.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 56.82%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Everyone submits to authority to some degree, we all listen to authorities (be they parents, teachers, officials, police etc.) but some people take it further and submit to authority even when that authority is dishonest, corrupt, or otherwise pursueing its own self interests at the expense of everyone else's - that's Authoritarianism.

Psychologists found out that Authoritarianism is made up of three main criteria - submission to authority, high conventionalism, and aggression against subversive elements of society.

You don't have to post your results here if you don't want to, I just found it a neat little device for introspection and self reflection in political matters.
I started this but I'm afraid I found the questions far too tendentious and silly to be worth answering. Many of them seem to demand a choice between idiotic straw man extremes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 37.5%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

Although I felt the questions were a bit biased to extreme views so I had to answer several as neutral.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What did you find silly about the questions?
I've just told you.

For example: "It is always better to trust the judgement of the proper authorities in government and religion than to listen to the noisy rabble-rousers in our society who are trying to create doubt in people's minds."

This is tendentious because the question assumes there are "noisy rabble rousers" and furthermore that said "rabble rousers" are "trying to create doubt" (about what, it does not say) in people's minds. Is that what rabble rousers do? That is news to me.

So it is posing a silly false antithesis. Who are these noisy rabble rousers supposed to be and what doubts are they said to be creating?

Furthermore, by opposing these people, real or imaginary, against BOTH government AND religious authorities, they imply that the subjects at issue span a wide range of topics.

So If I say I disagree, I am saying it is better to listen to these "rabble rousers" (who I may not agree even exist) and furthermore that that is the case regardless of the issue in question.

It's just stupid.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I started this but I'm afraid I found the questions far too tendentious and silly to be worth answering. Many of them seem to demand a choice between idiotic straw man extremes.

That's not uncommon for survey questions because it helps with clarity. From there, it uses a likert-scale sort of rating system where your response to it doesn't have to be extreme.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
These are the results of the Right-wing Authoritarianism Scale.

Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 14.77%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

Right-wing authoritarians want society and social interactions structured in ways that increase uniformity and minimize diversity. In order to achieve that, they tend to be in favour of social control, coercion, and the use of group authority to place constraints on the behaviours of people such as political dissidents and ethnic minorities. These constraints might include restrictions on immigration, limits on free speech and association and laws regulating moral behaviour. It is the willingness to support or take action that leads to increased social uniformity that makes right-wing authoritarianism more than just a personal distaste for difference. Right-wing authoritarianism is characterized by obedience to authority, moral absolutism, racial and ethnic prejudice, and intolerance and punitiveness towards dissidents and deviants. In parenting, right-wing authoritarians value children's obedience, neatness, and good manners.
This explains a lot of what you see in Christian fundamentalism. I think it all comes back to the Strict Father vs. Nurturing Parent model of the Cognitive Sciences. God needs to RULE, with capital letters, and will some day, with a rod of iron. It will be interesting to see how some of our members here who view God this way, score on this test?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

According to this test, my Authoritarianism is 31.5%. which is roughly what I expected. I have some Authoritarian leanings, but I am mostly opposed to it as a whole.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 21.59%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

"Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 8.52%."

Did I win? :D:p

Daemon Sophic

I agree that the questions are simplistic and (new word for me today) tendentious. :cool:

Yet, I took the quiz anyways.
Your score for right-wing authoritarianism was 21.02%. Higher scores indicate more right-wing authoritarianism. “

So I’m a rebel, just not a filthy hell-bent rebel. :p