• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much for that quick doctor’s visit?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was under the impression that there were (for lack of a better term) basic healthcare needs provided for dirt cheap for those with low incomes?
I haven’t heard the greatest things, but you guys don’t have any sort of safety net?

I think in Aus even our Medicare (our public healthcare system) has thresholds for low income families, service veterans, the elderly and children.
So in addition to the “refund” on your bulk billed visits, folks would get by default cheaper medication, lower “caps” on out of pocket expenses, any excess of which would be paid for by our public system for the rest of the year. Stuff like that.
Also any medical emergency is a freebie, so to speak. So just give your name and then leave when it’s safe. After picking any drugs prescribed, of course.
Like with my little medical drama, I don’t think I even signed in or out.

It depends on which state you're in as to what that looks like.

Most of the time, low income kids will be covered somewhere, regardless of whether their parents are or not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was under the impression that there were (for lack of a better term) basic healthcare needs provided for dirt
That's not a federal thing. In Indiana, for example, having a job that offers insurance automatically disqualifies you for the state plan, no matter how poor you are or how lame the insurance plan is. California, on the other hand, is more generous and even has assistance for medical care when you aren't poor.
Also any medical emergency is a freebie, so to speak.
They are often not free here, especially if it turns out to not be an emergency after all.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not a federal thing. In Indiana, for example, having a job that offers insurance automatically disqualifies you for the state plan, no matter how poor you are or how lame the insurance plan is. California, on the other hand, is more generous and even has assistance for medical care when you aren't poor.

So basically there are “loopholes” that deny folks who need it cheap medicine and aid even when they need it. Ngl, that’s low key disgusting

Judge a society by how they treat their sick and poor, indeed.

They are often not free here, especially if it turns out to not be an emergency after all.
Geez! Like how would you even know it’s a false alarm, so to speak, without expert medical evaluation.
Lord knows I’ve had a few emergency visits that thankfully turned out to be false alarms.

Ours are covered regardless of severity and indeed even if it turns out to be nothing. Again most of the time I didn’t even need to sign out, just walked out the door
Though in some states unfortunately you may have to pay up to 500$ AUD for an ambulance. Some “sympathetic” hospitals will often pay for your taxi ride, so there’s an out. Albeit a shaky one
My state covers the cost with Medicare, thankfully. So in my state it’s free.
Granted our services were strained with the pandemic and the flu season isn’t helping matters. (I stan the healthcare workers and their fight for better pay!)
It’s just unfathomable to me how the richest country in the world can be so heartless. No offence

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It’s just unfathomable to me how the richest country in the world can be so heartless. No offence
I don't think you could offend me. This country is so *** backwards I'm actually far more of an Irish nationalist than I am American. America is just another **** empire who tramples on the weak and everyone else and calls it progress, civilization and freedom. Like with the English and Roman empires before it, the people of the world would be better off with its collapse and diminished power.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think you could offend me. This country is so *** backwards I'm actually far more of an Irish nationalist than I am American. America is just another **** empire who tramples on the weak and everyone else and calls it progress, civilization and freedom. Like with the English and Roman empires before it, the people of the world would be better off with its collapse and diminished power.
Well, I can’t say that I blame you for your reaction or that I don’t agree with your assessment.
The US is seemingly heading backwards and it’s emboldening those in other countries who want similar outcomes, unfortunately

I can only offer my support in these trying times.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I can’t say that I blame you for your reaction or that I don’t agree with your assessment.
The US is seemingly heading backwards and it’s emboldening those in other countries who want similar outcomes, unfortunately

I can only offer my support in these trying times.
Uhhh, petition your grant asylum to Americans seeking asylum from this insanity. I'll go a step further than a mask and wear a full hazmat suit to begin my self quarantine before I even take my first step on Aussie soil, lmao.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Uhhh, petition your grant asylum to Americans seeking asylum from this insanity. I'll go a step further than a mask and wear a full hazmat suit to begin my self quarantine before I even take my first step on Aussie soil, lmao.
I’ll vouch for you if you like. lol and hey you’ll receive our full Medicare system whilst your case is under review. Bonus!