• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does it help?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Racism can be deeply engrained, and racists can often be violent to those objecting to their stance. They are not likely to be swayed by groups of protesters who may actually inflame passion.

The only way to reduce/prevent racism is through educating children why racism is wrong. Hopefully those lessons will stay with them for life?

Justanatheist

Racism can be deeply engrained, and racists can often be violent to those objecting to their stance. They are not likely to be swayed by groups of protesters who may actually inflame passion.

The only way to reduce/prevent racism is through educating children why racism is wrong. Hopefully those lessons will stay with them for life?

Got to disagree with you to a point there, for every genuine racist there is often someone who is there because they like being part of a group/gang. In certain gangs it is actually "cool" to be a racist you can get through to those people if only by showing them your having a better time than them.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Got to disagree with you to a point there, for every genuine racist there is often someone who is there because they like being part of a group/gang. In certain gangs it is actually "cool" to be a racist you can get through to those people if only by showing them your having a better time than them.

Education would get rid of the "cool" snd make it uncool.

Gang membership can be similar, the chances are you will not persuade a gang member to give up being "cool" (your word).

Justanatheist

Education would get rid of the "cool" snd make it uncool.

Gang membership can be similar, the chances are you will not persuade a gang member to give up being "cool" (your word).
Education is the key but you can still educate a twenty year old gang member. It is hard work but I know it can be done. Especially if you talk to them in a language they understand, we cannot give up on older racists.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Education is the key but you can still educate a twenty year old gang member. It is hard work but I know it can be done. Especially if you talk to them in a language they understand, we cannot give up on older racists.

I may be biased, my kids are mixed race and in the UK they faced a lot of racism. I've never been able to persuade an adult to back off if they are in full racist mode. It was always better to let it go and walk away.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
You can't meaningfully organize most kinds of political actions as a singular individual. This is one of the many areas where the individualistic foundations of our modern society actively harm social progress.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
At the moment i am thinking of subscribing to a antiracistic organization but, my question is, how much will it help to be in a group? and would it be enough to just be me alone working against racism?

Any thoughts?

Do what you can, and don't feel bad about not doing everything.
I was a union steward for many years and did my bit. Not as much as I might have hoped, but every little helps.

Justanatheist

I may be biased, my kids are mixed race and in the UK they faced a lot of racism. I've never been able to persuade an adult to back off if they are in full racist mode. It was always better to let it go and walk away.
Agreed sometimes when in full racist mode the only way to deal with them is to educate them with physical persuasion, I detest that but sometimes it was the only way. I was brought up in St Pauls in Bristol I never suffered racist abuse but practically every one of my friends did and I witnessed it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I never want to join organisations for one simple reason.
Indoctrination.
It will eventually consume one to the level of being a bias member of some policy with little or no value.

let me ask you the following questions.
1. in which country do you live?
2. are there discriminatory laws that furthers racism?
If there are no such laws, do you want to create a thought that such laws does exist and "you" have to fight something which everyone knows does not exist?
3. If there are no such laws, determine if there are organisations or groups who practices racism, If you find such organisations, you have a mission to accomplish.

Much rather determine what your objective is in life, than to just follow some person who did not evaluate the above, and stands shouting on a university lawn accusing everyone of racism, when you know it is not true.

Furthermore, take into consideration that many forms of segregation is not racism.
say for instance, a Jewish community comes together for some reason to practice their rites, thats not racism.
If the Italians, Mexican or any orher group of people wants to have a social discourse, thats not racism.
And, if some Irish, German, Dutch or any other white group decides to have a weekend BBQ, thats also not racism.
Yhat is Cultural riches, which should be protected, not critisized.

But if you find groups of a certain race, undermining another racial group, please let me know, for I want to work with you to eradicate such behaviour.

Greetings.
Stay mindfull of your actions and choices
There are borh law against discrimination and hate speech and yes some organization do go to far.
All i want is for all people to feel free and loved. I do not hate people even they claim ro be racistic, only their action and words is what I do not like

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would you be doing?

If it's community service, advocating, and resources I'd say it depends on how you feel about helping others. If it's not, I don't see the benefit of being apart of a group that doesn't help the people they want to protect.
The organization has every help for the people who come to norway as example refugees, from the first melting to the time they can buy a house and get a Job. Learning the language and culture, rules and laws.

So it actually help the people cet a safe way in to our society.

And the organization work also as a antiracistic groupe with info about what foreign people can do for our society in a positivt way

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You don't seem like a debate person anymore, how will this help your spiritual outlook unless there are different tasks you can do? I know when I was at the LGBTQ Center briefly they had peaceful demonstration at the PRIDE Parades and the centers had support groups and general resources and such.
I think it is best to leave my own religious or spiritual belief al8ne, when working with others in this setting, except from if a refugee ask for a Muslim to speak with, then i will speak about religious issues in the organization

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I would consider positive acts as well. Does that organization engage in deeds that illustrate their inclusive nature? Do they work with the groups being maligned and discriminated against to see what they want to see?
Yes, the do work at every level of society in Norway :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it is best to leave my own religious or spiritual belief al8ne, when working with others in this setting, except from if a refugee ask for a Muslim to speak with, then i will speak about religious issues in the organization

What I'm saying is you're don't seem to like to debate in for example religion, so would you feel comfortable taking up political positions against racism?

Using religion as an example not an end to itself

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What I'm saying is you're don't seem to like to debate in for example religion, so would you feel comfortable taking up political positions against racism?

Using religion as an example not an end to itself
As a non political person, no i would not go in to any form of political position :)

SA Huguenot

It is not being radical it is to stop harrasment of people who come from other countries to ask for protection, and I will help them so they feel welcome and not hates by extremists who speak bad about people just because of race, religion, sexual identity or other issues
Now such an act will be a good cause.
However, keep on asking questions about who these people are who you want to help.
Are they from countries who are opressing them?
Or are they simply people who are attempting to get into your country illegally.
If they are seeking assylum on legal methods, eg getting in touch of the embassy, reporting to border of entry etc. Assist them in obtaining refugee status on the merits of their situation.
However, if they are entering the border illegally, leave it to your immegration systems to sort out.
Any person entering a country illegally, are stealing the place of other people who are realy refugees.

Do not allow any organisation to use you to assist illegal immigration.
It is the worst thing you can do for your country.

Take heed of the slogans that if you dont assist illegal immegration, you are a racist, and hate people in need. That is a hoax.
Never be influenced by such rethoric.

Every country has borders to ensure the safety of their citizens, and anyone who loves open borders is realy ignorant of how a country should operate.
Do not become someone who shouts down the legal system, sovereignety of your country, and lames the institutions that was placed in governments to ensure that you live in a free country.
Dont be some ignorant silly bigmouth that think they are somehow more powerfull than the authority and carries on in demanding that border agents, immegration rules, etc be dismantleed.

Only real stupid persons would think this is the right thing to do.

Anyhow, who are these people that are being racist against legal immigrants?
Such people should be adressed.
However, if you are in the USA, I dont think what you say is happening.
The American people are very open to lergal migration and realises the economic value of such people.
But to allow say, drugdealers, human trafficers, criminals, and even middle eastern terrorists, and to decide to fight for such peoples' rights, is a very bad thing to do.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Now such an act will be a good cause.
However, keep on asking questions about who these people are who you want to help.
Are they from countries who are opressing them?
Or are they simply people who are attempting to get into your country illegally.
If they are seeking assylum on legal methods, eg getting in touch of the embassy, reporting to border of entry etc. Assist them in obtaining refugee status on the merits of their situation.
However, if they are entering the border illegally, leave it to your immegration systems to sort out.
Any person entering a country illegally, are stealing the place of other people who are realy refugees.

Do not allow any organisation to use you to assist illegal immigration.
It is the worst thing you can do for your country.

Take heed of the slogans that if you dont assist illegal immegration, you are a racist, and hate people in need. That is a hoax.
Never be influenced by such rethoric.

Every country has borders to ensure the safety of their citizens, and anyone who loves open borders is realy ignorant of how a country should operate.
Do not become someone who shouts down the legal system, sovereignety of your country, and lames the institutions that was placed in governments to ensure that you live in a free country.
Dont be some ignorant silly bigmouth that think they are somehow more powerfull than the authority and carries on in demanding that border agents, immegration rules, etc be dismantleed.

Only real stupid persons would think this is the right thing to do.

Anyhow, who are these people that are being racist against legal immigrants?
Such people should be adressed.
However, if you are in the USA, I dont think what you say is happening.
The American people are very open to lergal migration and realises the economic value of such people.
But to allow say, drugdealers, human trafficers, criminals, and even middle eastern terrorists, and to decide to fight for such peoples' rights, is a very bad thing to do.
I agree with you on this :)

Btw, i am from Norway:)

SA Huguenot

I agree with you on this :)

Btw, i am from Norway:)
I admire the Norwegian people and their country.
But I am curious to why you will have racial bias in Norway.
I know that there were a huge insurgence of Muslims that came to the European countries from Syria, Irac, Turkey, North Africa etc.
Also something that I can not understand was allowed by the EU countries.
If one looks at the Arab Countries, one do not find any democracy there at all.
For that reason, they are corrupt religious despots, and the cure is not to allow immigrants, but to force the UN to keep these governments accountable for their type of government.
That will be a nice cause to spent time on.
Get all the oppressing governments to be free and fair democracies.