• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does Man need religion in the modern world.

PAUL MARKHAM

Timeline of religion - Wikipedia

The above link shows clearly Man needed religion from long before any of today's religions. The oldest temple so far discovered is
Göbekli Tepe, there are other examples of religions that predates Judaism and today's religions.

Man yearns to understand his place in the world and to find anything to give him an edge, especially in a world where he needed to know where to hunt and forage for food, cure themselves of minor ailments and we believed natural phenomenon were acts of a god.

Today Man knows we're just one planet in a solar system of approximately 500,000 planets, understand evolution, have supermarkets for food, chemists for drugs, and understand natural phenomenon aren't acts of any god, etc.

Does Man need a being in the sky to protect us, why should Man believe in any god?

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

The above link shows clearly Man needed religion from long before any of today's religions. The oldest temple so far discovered is
Göbekli Tepe, there are other examples of religions that predates Judaism and today's religions.

Man yearns to understand his place in the world and to find anything to give him an edge, especially in a world where he needed to know where to hunt and forage for food, cure themselves of minor ailments and we believed natural phenomenon were acts of a god.

Today we know we are just one planet in a solar system of approximately 500,000 planets, we understand evolution, have supermarkets for food, chemists for drugs, and understand natural phenomenon aren't acts of any god, etc.

Do we need a being in the sky to protect us, why should we believe in any god?
In my estimation, using the word "need" in the question formulated brings us to an answer of precisely 0%.

PAUL MARKHAM

Religions are not about what "we" need. They are an individual choice, based on an individual's needs and desires.
I used the word we to represent Man as a whole. But you are right, it can be used to represent an individual.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Today we know we are just one planet in a solar system of approximately 500,000 planets, we understand evolution, have supermarkets for food, chemists for drugs, and understand natural phenomenon aren't acts of any god, etc.

We don't need it but it gives comfort to many; justifies bad behaviour for other and makes a lot of money and influence for a few.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
We need religions like fish need bicycles.

(To be clear, I think spirituality is a good thing, but we should keep religions out of our spirituality.)
Yes your "Religion: spiritual anti-theist : )" kind of gave that away already;)

MNoBody

found this public service bulletin....
seems useful.
TimelineGraphic1.jpg

A Vestigial Mote

"Need" "Like" "Get" etc. I could have used anyone to describe my views.
Well, to be sure, the questions:
How much do we like religion in the modern world?
How much do we get religion in the modern world?
are decidedly different. "Need" puts an entirely different spin on things, in my opinion.

But yes, I understand and I am in agreement if your answer is "0%" to all 3 questions. I don't need it, like it, or get it either.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Religion is needed today to help people deal with insecurities, unknowns and hardships in their lives as much today as it was in the past. Most people can't just except life as it is. Religion acts like a therapy for most. I've said before if you remove religions from the world you are going to need a lot more Psychologists, Therapists and psychology hospitals.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Religion is not the same as a belief in Divinity.

"Being in the sky" is not the same as The Divine/God

My answer to 'why' is there is no reason. Belief is not a matter of reason but at best of experience. Those who have smelled the rose know by experience that there is something very sweet that people call the 'rose'.

PAUL MARKHAM

How much do we need religion in the modern world.

Why you ask "we", I always thought that spirituality is a private matter between "you" and "X"
Which is why most worship in a group and as one following the instructions of one leader.

Please answer the question or don't bother posting.

exchemist

Veteran Member
found this public service bulletin....
seems useful.View attachment 43280
Can you explain why, on the same website you found that, I also found this?:

CONSUMER NOTICE – HOME DEPOT
TO: Shareholders, Consumers, Colleagues, Legislatures, Law Enforcement/Attorney General, State Attorney, Media, and Professional Associations
DATE: September 8, 2012
RE: Home Depot’s Integrity and Credibility: Home Improvement Projects – Countertops and Kitchen Cabinets
We purchased the above-mentioned home improvement projects in good consumer faith. Regrettably, sales person’s claims did not turn out as promised. With each project, we had to undergo and endure considerable disappointment, frustration and inconvenience to which both staff and service providers were insensitive and aggrandizing. On each project, staff and service people refused to recognize and acknowledge both faulty product and major service inequities. The only exception was the cabinet refacing subcontractor in the second listed project who went to extraordinary measures in an effort to compensate for Home Depot’s remiss, negligence and resistance.

With respect to the $5,472.42 countertop project, Home Depot surreptitiously and aggressively attempted to pass off to us a granite countertop that had been broken and super glued back together. This took considerable effort and inconvenience on our part to get Home Depot to appropriately correct.

Regarding the current $12,163.00 cabinet project, it took Home Depot production services three contemptuous attempts to get the order correct while placing us and our order at the back of the production and service line.

Unfortunately, consumers, before you consider contracting any project with Home Depot, you need to seriously consider our above experiences and their techniques of doing business. We do not want future consumers to experience the uncomfortable and awkward situations which faulty claims and promises inevitably create. Consequently, how does a business build integrity and credibility, i.e. trustworthiness?

UNQUOTE

The author of that chart seems to be some sort of loony. Curious, isn't it? :D

PAUL MARKHAM

We don't need it but it gives comfort to many; justifies bad behaviour for other and makes a lot of money and influence for a few.
I can understand it giving comfort when something bad happens the comfort of fellow worshippers is good, justifies bad behaviour is a bit of a stretch given all the bad behaviour done by religions.

Money and influence spot on.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Well, before I answer I would like how you can speak for me. I am not a member of your "we". I can't speak for you and stop speaking for me.

MNoBody

Can you explain why, on the same website you found that, I also found this?:

The author of that chart seems to be some sort of loony. Curious, isn't it? :D
hmm....I was looking at the graphic as a stand alone item
I look at the statement, not the one who delivered it, since one could be way off in their snapshot assumption.

curious, why don't you ask him?