• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how much BQ do i need to be considered native or do i have to be enrolled?

Futhark

blood quantum perception...

I am 1/16 cherokee and 1/64 ojibwe according to a dna test i had done earlier this year

so about 8% or so in percentage terms

is that enough to consider myself native?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I'd think that would depend on how connected you feel to it. With only 8% there's really no way you could use that as a primary label but you can surely say you're part native and even that it's the part you're most proud of.

Futhark

I'd think that would depend on how connected you feel to it. With only 8% there's really no way you could use that as a primary label but you can surely say you're part native and even that it's the part you're most proud of.

i agree, my second cousin has been involved in native american ceremonies since the early 90s and goes out to the lakota rez even tho hes cherokee and apache he is still accepted.

he got me going to native drum circles earlier this year and last month or a few saturdays ago i went to my first sundance. so my connection is there its just a matter if do i want to embrace it... and i get confused at times because i have built a rep for being a pagan already over the past few years

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE

I am 1/16 cherokee and 1/64 ojibwe according to a dna test i had done earlier this year

Depends on the tribe and/or if the tribal mindset was a part of you in your life.

I have about the same percentage, more or less, and have since my youth been influenced by it.

Not that such a percentage is enough for my tribe, but it's been enough for ME.

So, I consider myself tribal, but know that it's only for me, not my tribe.

Probably for the best, with my Nordic features no way I'd fit in.

Probably why I was attracted to Judaism, another Tribal group.

But then, I had the same problem. I'm tall, blond, blue-eyed with sharp facial features.

Not a fit. I clash.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

8%????
I doubt that very much.
It would be very hard to find ANY "white" person of European decent that didn't have
at least traces of Native American genes.
My great, great, grandmother was full blood dirty foot and I'm not claiming
Native American root stock. (dirty foot = Blackfoot).
To each his/her own however.
It would be also difficult to find many white Americans without some sub Saharan
genes.
You might research where Native Americans came from.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-american-people-migration-siberia-genetics/
^^^^
Another "theory".

GoodbyeDave

There are legal definitions for membership of tribes, but for considering yourself a native American the only things that matter are (1) what you feel, (2) what other people think, and (3) — most important of all — what the ancestral spirits think.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
A cousin of mine in California is big into family of origin research and claim
we are related to Dan'l Boone.
Really?
Also it's claimed that my great uncle Eb Toothman rode with Jesse James.
So if true that means what to me?
NOTHING!
Of course being related to Dan'l might explain why I eat weeds and raw meat.:rolleyes:
Then there was this bear I kilt.........................................
and ate.
The meat was sooooooooooooooo bad that I never killed another.
My dog even buried the meat.:confused:

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
I took a DNA test and I know on my fathers side I am Mexican but I have no Idea if I have blood on Native American or my ancestors were part of the culling?

If I did want to join and my ancestors killed native americans, would i not be allowed in?

Futhark

just an update on my thoughts and opinion from days later...

my second cousin who is alot older than me, has been there for me over the past year or so for emotional support. he is a white man although has been involved with native american ceremonies for over 20 years. up until about 2 years ago i didnt even know he was family or that he existed. although our bond has grown over the last year or two or so.

anyways i think that if i continue to do native american ceremonies that i will have a windfall of character so to speak and get confused about my religion again.

lately i have been just staying home trying to figure out a way to get a stronger connection to the asatru gods and goddesses and maybe figure out a way to do my druid group homework.

just some of my thoughts

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
Probably for the better.

I would not betray your Gods so quickly and research more and connect more.
Find sanctity in them, they are yours!