• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much arrogance does it take to claim to teach the word of God

Just_me_Mike

Across religions that deal in the unknown, aside from the texts and oral traditions. How much arrogance does it really take to present yourself to the world or your community, and say "you can teach the word of God, or whatever your divinity or unknown belief is"? Not just teach it, but you are QUITE certain it is truth that your are teaching.

I'd like to hear from religious people specifically.

A

angellous_evangellous

That's what ordination is for.

Your religious community has identified what they think is the Word of God already, and certify you to teach.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It is arrogance, for sure, for any average Joe to claim to have the Word of God.

It takes an Enlightened Sage who has done away with all that. How can we tell? Well, not from a sermon on the street, not from what's said, but from what this person does.

footprints

Across religions that deal in the unknown, aside from the texts and oral traditions. How much arrogance does it really take to present yourself to the world or your community, and say "you can teach the word of God, or whatever your divinity or unknown belief is"? Not just teach it, but you are QUITE certain it is truth that your are teaching.

As I belong to the religion of Agnostics, I suppose that makes me specifically qualified.

I would say about as much arrogance as it takes any atheist to stand up and deny God, when there isn't a shred of evidence to support their argument.

Dunemeister

Why should we confuse conviction with arrogance?

John D

Spiritsurfer
Anyone can "teach". It is the ones that are teached that must ask the questions and not blindly follow their teacher.
Responsibility belongs to the seeker.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
It is arrogance, for sure, for any average Joe to claim to have the Word of God.

It takes an Enlightened Sage who has done away with all that. How can we tell? Well, not from a sermon on the street, not from what's said, but from what this person does.

Exactly, ones actions show others the truth of their beliefs... not what they claim or say. It's how your faith has changed your heart, and subsequently, your doings.

footprints

Why should we confuse conviction with arrogance?

Hi Dunemeister,

Conviction and arrogance isn't confused. Conviction is how the theist or atheist see themselves, arrogance is generally how they see the other.

It is the base question, who is the terrorist and who is the freedom fighter?

It is Yin seeing Yang and Yang seeing Yin without taking the time to see themselves first.

RamaRaksha

Anyone can "teach". It is the ones that are teached that must ask the questions and not blindly follow their teacher.
Responsibility belongs to the seeker.

Fantastic. Coming from a guy who says one must get down on one's knees and beg like a dog for mercy. A slave/sujbect/servant does not ask questions - they obey blindly. A man who Fears God is not going to raise his eyes, let alone his voice.

Stand tall, look god straight in the eye, and debunk this sin stuff - then only can you ask questions.

RamaRaksha

Actually it is pretty simple - if I say something, i may not be taken seriously. But hey, let me say I speak for God! Now you dare disagree with me? You are not just disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with God himself!

Add in the daily brainwashing of religion from childhood, Fear of God, He won't let you into his heaven if you dare question, etc. and you can see in some religions, it is quite easy to frighten sheep...er, people.

blackout

Violet.
Whose word is not the word of gOd?

Proverbial Bonus Question: What then is there to teach?

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
At first glance, claiming to teach the Word of God seems arrogant - it seems like the supreme arrogance.

I think it actually takes tremendous insecurity. I'm going to take this book -- or these conciliar decrees, or this tradition, or whatever -- and I'm going to explain it in accordance with my religious tradition, and I'm going to claim it's the Word of God. Without that, I've got nothing. I'm not enlightened, I'm not one with God, I'm not one with the Universe, I'm not sure of anything except that I've got this burning need to be sure. So look at what this book says. Look at me, teaching the book. Pay me to teach the book. Now I feel sure -- when I'm up on the stage. When I go home at night I've still got this empty, gaping chasm inside of me, and the real truth is, I've still got nothing. That's why I cling so desperately to the feeling of knowing the mind of God, because without it, I'm lost. I'm ******* empty.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
A slave/sujbect/servant does not ask questions - they obey blindly. A man who Fears God is not going to raise his eyes, let alone his voice.

Stand tall, look god straight in the eye, and debunk this sin stuff - then only can you ask questions.

Whoo!!! Furballs!!

As I belong to the religion of Agnostics, I suppose that makes me specifically qualified.

I would say about as much arrogance as it takes any atheist to stand up and deny God, when there isn't a shred of evidence to support their argument.

Why is it arrogant for a person to not believe what you claim to believe?

BTW Atheism means no BELIEF in GODS. It does not require denial of gods.

BTW Agnosticism means not taking a position because of the lack of evidence (gnosis).

Atheism and Agnosticism does not advocate any belief. Lack of belief and lack of evidence for belief do not constitute belief.

The supreme irony is of the widespread compulsion of every religion to persecute those whose belief differs in some way.

Atheists are the only major group of humans persecuted for what they don't believe.

Agnostics are the only group persecuted by believers for failure to accept purely subjective false evidence of religionists.

It means we are committing the sin of thinking and reasoning instead of blindly believing the unsupportable.

Ardipithecus

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Why would it take any arrogance at all? I don't see why you would need to classify it as arrogance. If one truly believes that one has the word of God, then why not teach it as such? Those who disagree disagree and those who believe listen. Simple as that.

Baydwin

Why would it take any arrogance at all? I don't see why you would need to classify it as arrogance. If one truly believes that one has the word of God, then why not teach it as such? Those who disagree disagree and those who believe listen. Simple as that.
I agree. I don't think it is arrogant to believe you have the truth, most people don't believe something they think is untrue. I suppose it is arrogant to tell other people they are wrong, but not to teach them why you believe you are right.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I agree. I don't think it is arrogant to believe you have the truth, most people don't believe something they think is untrue. I suppose it is arrogant to tell other people they are wrong, but not to teach them why you believe you are right.
I'm not sure I would call that arrogance either. Stupidity maybe, but not necessarily arrogance.

A good teacher will explain things so that all of his students understand it. If not, then the fault is on the teacher. I see it more as a mistake on the teacher's part than arrogance.

Just_me_Mike

You know if it wasn't for all the corruption and mayhem that plagues and has plagued the religious communities (Christianity, Judaism, Catholicism, Islam and others) I might agree with you. However, teaching God, seems to be one of the core problems with the world today. It is a major source of confrontation and division among the world.

In light of that, how is it not arrogant for someone to announce they have the word of God, along with several other people with opposing view points announcing the same thing? The arrogance comes in claiming absolute assurance it is the real God.

IMO arrogance would be lessened if all parties involved were to come together and put human life on equal grounds as their beliefs. Meaning, the preservation of life, even of other opposite faiths is just as important as whatever religion you believe in. That standard is hardly met.

DavyCrocket2003

Exactly, ones actions show others the truth of their beliefs... not what they claim or say. It's how your faith has changed your heart, and subsequently, your doings.
Amen to both. What someone preaches is meaningless in and of itself. You cannot divorce the message from the one giving it. What someone verbally says is only a tiny fraction of the real message. It's like music. The lyrics alone can mean so many different things depending on how they go with the music. And some of the greatest and most moving music doesn't even have any spoken words. Each person's life is a symphony. You have to listen to the music. Do you like it or not? Is there an aspect of that music that you would like to make a part of you? What does it sound like when the different parts are playing out of tune with each other? What makes their music sound bad and how can I avoid it in my own? Most of the music you encounter is so so. But once in awhile you encounter a sheer masterpiece. It has the power to touch your very soul. That's when I wake up and go, "hey, this guy knows what he's talking about!"

Last edited: