• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many times did Jesus die?

SoyLeche

meh...
Binyamin said:
Do you believe Isaiah 53 to be talking about him?
Yes, and, although I just read the chapter, and can't see it coming, I know that this is somehow a loaded question.

JerryL

He did not die.
So then all those "he died for our sins" people are full of it? Same with those who believe in a resurrection (which would require someone first be dead)?

Cordoba

Each person is responsible for his or her good or bad deeds.

From a Muslim point of view, nobody can take responsibility for the acts of others.

God forgives all sins, because He is The Most Merciful.
He does not need Jesus peace be upon him to die in order to forgive mankind.

JerryL

From a Muslim point of view, nobody can take responsibility for the acts of others.
And yet you are held accountable for them. If nothing else, you are personally accountable to the whim of God.

God forgives all sins, because He is The Most Merciful.
It seems to me that I know people who love and fogrive no matter what. To even be tied with them, God would have to let everyone into heaven and love them equally... which would kind of remove the point of religion.

He does not need Jesus peace be upon him to die in order to forgive mankind.
It has less to do with forgiveness and more to do with atonement. Sin cannot exist in the presence of God, and so to be in God's presence, you must have your sins covered. The blood of Jesus is a permenant covering for sin.

Cordoba

JerryL said:
It has less to do with forgiveness and more to do with atonement. Sin cannot exist in the presence of God, and so to be in God's presence, you must have your sins covered. The blood of Jesus is a permenant covering for sin.
Hello Jerry:

I know this is a main point of difference between Christianity and Islam, which has been debated many times, but your point is simply not logical.

When Adam and Eve sinned, then felt sorry for their sin, God taught Adam how to repent, which he did, and God forgave them.

Repentance from sin needs three conditions:

1- To feel sorry and ashamed for the sin committed
2- To ask God to forgive
3- To promise God not to repeat that sin again.

There is a fourth condition if the sin involves harm caused to others, and that is to repair the harm or damage done. So for a thief for example to be forgiven by God for his theft, he would have to return what he stole to the owner.

God created us for His Mercy and Love, and gave us a free will to love Him out of our own choice. He knew we would make mistakes, and as He is The Most Merciful, He directly forgives all sins following the above conditions.

All the best.

SoyLeche

meh...
Cordoba said:
Hello Jerry:

I know this is a main point of difference between Christianity and Islam, which has been debated many times, but your point is simply not logical.

When Adam and Eve sinned, then felt sorry for their sin, God taught Adam how to repent, which he did, and God forgave them.

Repentance from sin needs three conditions:

1- To feel sorry and ashamed for the sin committed
2- To ask God to forgive
3- To promise God not to repeat that sin again.

There is a fourth condition if the sin involves harm caused to others, and that is to repair the harm or damage done. So for a thief for example to be forgiven by God for his theft, he would have to return what he stole to the owner.

God created us for His Mercy and Love, and gave us a free will to love Him out of our own choice. He knew we would make mistakes, and as He is The Most Merciful, He directly forgives all sins following the above conditions.

All the best.
Those steps are almost identical to the way I taught it when I was a missionary. I added a fifth step though - first you have to recognize that you have done something wrong.

may

Binyamin said:
Just curious if you can give me a rough number...

1 Pet. 3:18: "Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit ["by the Spirit," KJ; "in the spirit," RS, NE, Dy, JB]

Deut 13:1

Cordoba said:
Just on a side note: Adam wasn't the first to do Chuva.

JerryL

Recall please the first 13 words in what I said:

It has less to do with forgiveness and more to do with atonement.

So you assert. Obviously, you don't have the only opinion.

That said, I personally know people more merciful than this; people who would show mercy without your steps being performed first. Obviously, if this is how merciful God is, than God is not the most merciful... he's reasonably merciful.

Cordoba

SoyLeche said:
Those steps are almost identical to the way I taught it when I was a missionary. I added a fifth step though - first you have to recognize that you have done something wrong.
Hello SoyLeche:

That's a good point. To recognize one has done something wrong is somehow part of feeling sorry. Most of the time, we know when we're doing something wrong as we all have a conscience.

But maybe for a person with a dead conscience that first reminder would be a help.

All the best.

Cordoba

JerryL said:
That said, I personally know people more merciful than this; people who would show mercy without your steps being performed first. Obviously, if this is how merciful God is, than God is not the most merciful... he's reasonably merciful.
God's Mercy on The Day of Judgement will be without limits for all those who believed in Him.

But as we are still in this world, we should do our best to repent when we sin or commit a mistake, as that's what God commands us to do.

All the best.