• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many times can you catch CoVid ?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Fortuitously, I have (yet) never contracted covid.

Fully vaccinated back in 2021-22.

I'm the only "novid" in my family and social circle (and its not a case of asymptomatic, as I was testing repeatedly throughout the pandemic).

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've had Covid twice. Not really keen on going for the hat trick tbh. Having it a second time felt a bit unjust.
I'm assuming I will continue to catch it every so often, as one does with 'flu' or colds. If subsequent episodes are like my second time, it won't be a big deal. My father had it twice in his 90s, but having been vaccinated he was not very ill on either occasion.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I have had all the shots and boosters and got Covid twice. Both times it lasted 4 days, and was not severe.

RestlessSoul

I'm assuming I will continue to catch it every so often, as one does with 'flu' or colds. If subsequent episodes are like my second time, it won't be a big deal. My father had it twice in his 90s, but having been vaccinated he was not very ill on either occasion.

Yeah, my dad is 92 and just getting over Covid. Unfortunately he's very frail, but he shrugged that off anyway.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
This is an interesting example of base rate neglect.

A much larger proportion of those who are not vaccinated end up catching COVID, while a smaller portion of those who are vaccinated catch it.

However, since there are more people who are vaccinated than those who are not, most people who catch COVID now are vaccinated. This is because the small portion of vaccinated people who catch COVID is still larger than the total number of unvaccinated people, who still have a much higher risk of contracting the disease as a group.

You can still catch COVID multiple times, even if you're vaccinated. It's a false dichotomy that vaccination is either 100% effective or it doesn't do anything, though. It is a relatively effective treatment, but even if it were 99.9% effective that still means that 1 in every 1,000 vaccinated people are going to contract COVID. When you increase that sample size to the population of nations, you would expect to find tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of such cases.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Vaccinations may not be perfect, but they do two things. First, they do lower your odds of catching the disease in the first place. They are never 100% effective in that regard. Second and more important, they do lessen the severity of the disease if you do catch it. In the US Trump supporters were less likely to get the vaccine. The counties with high percentages of Trump supporters had a higher covid death rate than Biden counties. In our last serious surge of cases the unvaccinated were about seven more times likely to die than the vaccinated.

In other words the vaccines aren't perfect but they still work. Seatbelts are not perfect in an auto crash. But they do greatly increase the odds of surviving one.
I completely missed this post of yours when I read through the thread before I made my post. I only caught this on a brief re-skim, sorry.

On the bright side, repetition aids memory, so repeating the same idea in different words might help someone reading this thread retain the information. Probably not, though.