• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many religions are there?

kjw47

I was going down the main page--wow--this world is very confused--Jesus started 1 single religion--That is all God had in the ot--1 single religion. Why would there be more? One truth, one faith, one God, one religion--- this world is in trouble-2Cor 4:4

Sees

Dragonslayer
IMG_20140226_130852.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Religion is personal. Everyone has their view of reality given we are all different. To say there is only one true way--to claim it as true for all people rather than yourself--is inappropriate. We aren't confused; we all have different ways we see the world. If "one-way" religious people can see that, the world would be a less confusing place to live in.

I was going down the main page--wow--this world is very confused--Jesus started 1 single religion--That is all God had in the ot--1 single religion. Why would there be more? One truth, one faith, one God, one religion--- this world is in trouble-2Cor 4:4

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
To the OP. Did you mean denominations within Christendom?
If so it's estimated there are over 40,000 denominations.
Why so many? Because mankind sees what mankind wants to see.
Ergo why some Christians play with rattlesnakes thinking it's recorded in the Bible that they should so such a stupid thing to prove faith in God.
Mankind is a million forms of self delusion.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
From the perspective of Bible believers, there are only two kinds of religion in God's eyes...true and false. It matters little what you call it.

What is really interesting is how we went from Eden to 2015 and we are still manufacturing versions of the same beliefs under different banners with different justifications for them. There is a real connection to Babylon, which seems to be the springboard for all beliefs that are outside of scripture. When the Revelation speaks about "Babylon the great" it is speaking about all worship that has gleaned its beliefs from that original source.

Why would God allow this when he could just snuff out all the false beliefs?

He is allowing us to choose. What we choose and why, whether that is anything from fundamentalist extremism to lackadaisical half hearted worship ( what you write on a form when it says "Religion") or even if we profess no religion at all.....it all tells God who we are, what we will accept as truth and where we will place our loyalties.

We actually all have the freedom to do that. But it is not without consequence that we make our choices.

Believing that God is not there will not make him go away. :rolleyes:

Choosing a form of worship that is the product of flawed human inclination is also telling God who we are. Can we be told when our beliefs do not line up with God's instructions, or are we stubbornly hanging on to what we want to believe, despite being shown that it is not right?

In the final outcome, there will again be just one form of worship....the right one, because there will be no one in existence who is inclined to practice anything else.

We are all choosing our own destiny. :eek:

kjw47

To the OP. Did you mean denominations within Christendom?
If so it's estimated there are over 40,000 denominations.
Why so many? Because mankind sees what mankind wants to see.
Ergo why some Christians play with rattlesnakes thinking it's recorded in the Bible that they should so such a stupid thing to prove faith in God.
Mankind is a million forms of self delusion.

They could have listened to Jesus--He taught---enter through the narrow gate, for cramped is the road( one) that leads off into life( eternal),FEW will find it, for broad and spacious( many religions) the path that leads to destruction, many have entered this way.
Most want their ears tickled.

kjw47

What rational basis is there for assuming that there is only one path, and that everyone who disagrees is confused?

Jesus taught---enter through the narrow gate, for cramped the road( one) that leads off into life-FEW will find it, for broad and spaciopus the path( many religions) that leads to destruction, many have entered this way.

Baladas

An Págánach
Jesus taught---enter through the narrow gate, for cramped the road( one) that leads off into life-FEW will find it, for broad and spaciopus the path( many religions) that leads to destruction, many have entered this way.
I already know this. Thank you though.
It goes deeper than that though. What is the rational basis of assuming that the path you walk is the narrow one, that your scripture is the right scripture, or that Jesus ever really spoke those words for that matter?

Sees

Dragonslayer

Many religions would be many paths. What is the most broad and spacious path in the world?

Would seem like the large, spacious path would be the largest religion...Christianity.

Kolibri

This is a bit too far in the other extreme. "One acceptable form of worship" does not imply robotics. We have to see what is required true. But we also have to recognize what is not required to be balanced.

One might think the following passage looks like the above picture but it does not.
"For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raise up against the knowledge of God, and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ." - 2 Corinthians 10:5

We have to also take into consideration this verse:
"For just as the body is one but has many members, and all the members of that body, although many, are one body, so too is the Christ. For by one spirit we were baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink one spirit. For indeed, the body is made up not of one member but of many. If the foot should say, 'Because I am not a hand, I am no part of the body,' that does not make it no part of the body. And if the ear should say, 'Because I am not an eye, I am no part of the body,' that does not make it no part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If it were all hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But no God has arranged each of the body members just as he pleased." - 1 Corinthians 12:12-17

Even on the same cramped road. We are all still very different in our talents, skills, cultures, and interests. Replace those robots with happy people of various colors and ethnic dress and you'll have a much more accurate sense of what "the form of worship that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God" is. - James 1:27

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The notion there is one true faith seems to me as ridiculous as saying there is one true shoe size. We humans are a diverse lot. It takes a lot of different faiths -- and no faith at all -- to fit all of us.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Why all the song and dance?
Why don't you skip all the riddles and other bull **** and just tell the forum which of the 10,000+ denominations of Christianity is the one true god approved version?

arthra

Baha'i

I've heard there were forty thousand denominations of Christianity... In the Baha'i Writings it says that there is only one religion of God...

From these facts and premises we may conclude that the establishing of the divine religions is for peace, not for war and the shedding of blood. Inasmuch as all are founded upon one reality which is love and unity, the wars and dissensions which have characterized the history of religion have been due to imitations and superstitions which arise afterward. Religion is reality, and reality is one. The fundamentals of the religion of God are, therefore, one in reality. There is neither difference nor change in the fundamentals. Variance is caused by blind imitations, prejudices and adherence to forms which appear later; and inasmuch as these differ, discord and strife result. If the religions of the world would forsake these causes of difficulty and seek the fundamentals, all would agree, and strife and dissension would pass away; for religion and reality are one and not multiple.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Would seem like the large, spacious path would be the largest religion...Christianity.
To truly walk Christian path is incredibly difficult, I stumble all the time. The spacious path is to walk in the way of the world, becoming lost in its pleasures and concerns thus losing sight of God and the spiritual purpose for which you are here.