• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many hours of TV do you watch?

exchemist

Veteran Member
When I was younger I used to crack up watching Benny Hill :D
Yes he could be funny, but a lot was rather tedious, and by today's standards sexist, double-entendres, so not approved of in the household in which I grew up, ahem.

Red Dwarf was a sci-fi comedy, a genre that I suppose was originally started by Douglas Adams with his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a decade earlier. A very original and funny series, but possibly too British to travel well:-

Kryten (the robot) is the best character, in my opinion.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Nick is one of my favourites. Was a fan of shows like Oggy and the cockroaches and ofcourse there's Spongebob.

Loved watching the show Ancient Aliens and Pawn shop that still probably comes on History channel.

There was a music channel named Vh1.
It played all the 80s 90s classics. This was back in 2007/08. Not sure if this channel is still around.

Then there was a channel called World Movies. They played European, Korean and other foreign movies.

Nowadays, i just download shows/movies from the internet. The pirated copies i mean. :D
Omg I love ancient aliens!!!
It’s a meme to be sure but I’m a bit of sci fi nerd lol

The Crimson Universe

I have not watched TV for 20 years now.

When I was a kid In the 60s and 70s I enjoyed the usual UK favourites: Dr Who, Thunderbirds, Monty Python etc. I was in Dubai for much of the 80s so didn’t watch much TV. When I got back I used to enjoy Red Dwarf - and cricket test matches in summertime.

I used to love cricket too. Especially the good ol' test cricket in the winter months. But this twenty-twenty ruined everything. They even made the boundaries shorter so that players could hit sixes without breaking a sweat. They made it too easy for the players. Its no fun anymore.
I'm in my 30s and people my age go crazy for twenty-twenty. Not me. I hate it.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is per week.
Also what is your favourite TV series from the 60',70's and 80's?
(Can be anything from current affairs to cartoons).

My Mum's was the Lucy Show (Lucille Ball) still very watchable on YouTube .Mine was Thunderbird's.
Your a Thunderbird fan? That's awesome!

I love the puppets. Retro Classic.

The Crimson Universe

Omg I love ancient aliens!!!
It’s a meme to be sure but I’m a bit of sci fi nerd lol

Its a pleasure to meet you, mister. Its good to have a comic and sci-fi lover here on RF.
I love sci-fi too, but UFOs and Aliens are no longer science fiction. Too many people have seen them in the sky and i think the government have recently started to disclose reports of such aerial sightings.

:)

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Most weeks I watch YouTube that's it. I'd say 21 hours of YouTube. Most weeks of actual TV 0. I hardly even watch streaming services. Occasionally once in a blue moon I get the urge to watch Disney +. But that's rare. I've only in two years watched 5 movies on there. I plan on watching another today on there cuz im curious about a movie I heard about on youtube

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes he could be funny, but a lot was rather tedious, and by today's standards sexist, double-entendres, so not approved of in the household in which I grew up, ahem.

Red Dwarf was a sci-fi comedy, a genre that I suppose was originally started by Douglas Adams with his Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a decade earlier. A very original and funny series, but possibly too British to travel well:-

Kryten (the robot) is the best character, in my opinion.

Red Dwarf, brilliantly funny series. Last year i watched it through again on Dave. The children loved it.

pearl

The combination of being retired and the increased availability through hulu etc., I watch more. Really miss the British sitcoms, for whatever reason PBS is not available unless on the computer which is just not the same. Downton Abbey was available, and I loved it, but can't imagine where the new series goes from here.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I used to love cricket too. Especially the good ol' test cricket in the winter months. But this twenty-twenty ruined everything. They even made the boundaries shorter so that players could hit sixes without breaking a sweat. They made it too easy for the players. Its no fun anymore.
I'm in my 30s and people my age go crazy for twenty-twenty. Not me. I hate it.
I've never seen it, but it sounds like the antithesis of proper cricket.

The unique charm of cricket, in my opinion, is the gentle pace at which it unfolds. It's a day out, or several days out, on the grass, in summertime, chatting, having a drink and/or a cup of tea, and observing as the game develops, complete with external factors such as the weather playing a vital - and very British - role. (Oh it's clouding over, maybe time to bring on the swing bowlers, etc.) Trying to make it a shouty, adrenalin-soaked experience that's over in an hour or two misses the entire point.

But then I have not watched any cricket since the ECB sold out to Murdoch, at a stroke wiping all test cricket off UK terrestrial television. I think that was a huge strategic mistake, driven by blinkered greed. Test cricket is just no longer a shared national experience - and so cricket has ceased to be one of the national games, in the way that football and (to a lesser extent) rugby still are.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Its a pleasure to meet you, mister. Its good to have a comic and sci-fi lover here on RF.
I love sci-fi too, but UFOs and Aliens are no longer science fiction. Too many people have seen them in the sky and i think the government have recently started to disclose reports of such aerial sightings.

:)
Actually it’s umm “sister” lol :D

I’m a huge sci fi and comics nerd. For a long time I thought I was only a fantasy fan. Rejected sci fi even.
But every time I read a sci fi novel (especially the classics) I just have too much fun.

Hmm. I didn’t know that about the government disclosure. Interesting

The Crimson Universe

Actually it’s umm “sister” lol :D

I’m a huge sci fi and comics nerd. For a long time I thought I was only a fantasy fan. Rejected sci fi even.
But every time I read a sci fi novel (especially the classics) I just have too much fun.

Hmm. I didn’t know that about the government disclosure. Interesting

Oops sorry mam. My bad. :oops:

I think i found that government disclosure thingy while going through the sample pages of some books on amazon. I can't recall which books they were. I just got one delivered a few days ago. Its probably about the grey aliens. Haven't read it yet. :=)

Can you recommend me some good sci-fi novels? All i have in my wishlist are horror ones.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Can you recommend me some good sci-fi novels? All i have in my wishlist are horror ones.

Iain M Banks, not to be confused with Iain Banks (same author, different genres, he used the M for his sci-fi books)

I think most of the culture books are good except the algebraist which i found boring as they come. I particularly like excession that I've read several times and find something new each time.

JIMMY12345

TV?
Does that count as like.... YouTube videos? Hulu, Netflix, Disney+?
Anything you like.Meanwhile I think we can agree (which is the reason I asked) that this forum consists of highly intelligent people who keep viewing to a minimum.When we 2/3 channels the content was high quality.Everyone copied the Americans with multiple channels dominated by rubbish.

Orbit

I'm a planet
That is per week.
Also what is your favourite TV series from the 60',70's and 80's?
(Can be anything from current affairs to cartoons).

My Mum's was the Lucy Show (Lucille Ball) still very watchable on YouTube .Mine was Thunderbird's.

I watch series on Acorn.tv, Netflix, Criterion (for films), and Amazon Prime. Does that count as TV? I don't watch every day, and I have no idea how many hours it is per week.
I don't really have a favorite show from the 70s, but perhaps Get Smart? That was always entertaining.