• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Here Attend Church?

How Many Here Attend Church?

• Attend an established church

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Do not attend church

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Home study group

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters

Yerda

Veteran Member
prosecutor said:
robtex, the UU church is perfect for you. God has nothing to do with that bunch nor ever will.

Prosecutor
Universalism increases in appeal each time I hear of it.

Did God definitely tell you this? I really have to be sure, the last thing I want is to turn up at a UU meeting and find God there, it would really damage my outlook.

Melody

prosecutor said:
No*s, I don't apoligize for truth no matter who it offends.

Prosecutor
While I admire the sentiment, the other side of the coin is that if you don't word your truth in a manner that doesn't offend people, eventually they'll stop listening. Then it won't matter how many "truths" you have to share.

Melody I appreciate your thoughts. I am aware that how you say something can make a difference. Yet Jesus offended people by what He said and by what He did. He was perfect. I am not nor ever will be in this life. Some of us choose to use a more direct manner in our teaching. This has been effective for me over the years. Yes, I have offended some people by the way I say things. I actually would be concerned about trying any approach or method that doesn't offend some. Jesus Himself said, "Woe to you when all people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets" (Luke 6:26). Thanks again for your concern.

Prosecutor

Truthseekingsoul, if "Universalism (UU church,pros.) appeals to you every time you hear it", that appeal is not the result of what the Word of God teaches. His church which is universal and the UU church are about as different in doctrine as that of an atheist and a theist. As far as "God telling me anything", He does every time I study His Word.

Prosecutor

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I havent steped foot in a church in over a year. I did once allitle over two years ago, but that was just because me and my friend went with his grandmother to eat breakfast.

Natas

Nope, never feel the urge to get dressed up and go shake hands, hug, and listen to someone's speech on a Sunday morning. But I do sometimes watch a televangelist during commercials with the sound muted. I love to see them touch people's foreheads making them faint. Does that count?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I once heard a wonderful thing about a Wiccan "church". I can't remember the name of the author but I remember she said that she was in a grocery store on a Sunday one day and the guy bagging her groceries asked her if she just got out of church. She said "no" and that she was Wiccan, and he said "oh, so I guess that means you are in church all the time."

I like that and adhere to that. I, of course, don't go to a recognized church, but everywhere I go, outside, the park, my yard, my home, driving in my car, everywhere...is my church...for the Divine is everywhere and through all of us and if you recognize the wonder of it all and realize that They are everywhere, then everywhere is your church. The same can be said for every religion actually. My mother, who by the way is from a big Catholic family, doesn't go to church, because she feels that everywhere she is she is in contact with God, and she doesn't feel the need to go to a church for God to hear her or be with her...He already is.

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I attend church when I can. I haven't at all this summer, basically because I have no car, and all of my housemates are rabid athetists and would get all twitchy if I asked them to take me to church.

During school, though, I kinda bounced between a local Catholic church that was within walking distance of the campus...although I stopped going to Mass in the winter, because it was too cold out, and dark. Then I started going to the once every-other-week Lutheran service the Lutheran Campus Ministry has right on campus. It's really cool, because the pastor does parts of the service in Lakota :D.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Services I like best are the quiet and less popular ones. services with only a few people present.
In the quietness I somehow feel closer to God.

Terry