• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Here Attend Church?

How Many Here Attend Church?

• Attend an established church

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Do not attend church

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Home study group

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters
prosecutor said:
The word "ekklesia" translated "church" means "called out." While there are a few instances in the New Testament where the word has reference to something other than a religious assembly, the general usage is that of those who have become members of the body of Christ, His Kingdom. I DOUBT THAT THE ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS INTENDED FOR ATHEISTS, R.J..
Prosecutor
Thanks for the extra info, I had a thought that eclesiastical (sp) meant "of the church", or something like that. But as far as the original question being NOT for atheists. Some atheists attend Universal Unitarian Churches, or at least I have heard. The question did not specifically say "Christian" Church...even though I felt that was the original context:rolleyes: ..LOL
And anyways, it gave me the option of "Does not attend"..how can an Atheist refuse to vote that.

Respectfully with many giggles.

R.J., who would an atheist worship? The question did not have to "specifically say 'Christian church". Some things should be assumed by the question that is asked.
Prosecutor

robtex

Veteran Member
I am an atheist who goes to UU church in Austin. Prosecuter why do you feel an atheist can't go to church? So what if they (we) don't worship a higher power? Their is culture and philosophy in a church . I find it amusing at hard some Christians try to "save atheists" but than are aghast at the idea of one actually being in a church. Go to the beginning of this thread. 1/2 the atheists on these boards go to church in. Incidently, I have met an atheist who was a practicing Christian minister for years and a rabbi once who had to be agnostic at best. You would be supprised where atheists pop up from time to time. Deut very cool about Schul. I am never off on friday nights but I would love to go to one soon and maybe with my Muslim friend who just came back from Iran. Actually he may take me to a mosque sometime this month.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I don't go to church regularly, really. Sometimes I go to my father-in-law's church, he is a Baptist preacher. I don't feel at home in the Protestant churches anymore.

No*s

Captain Obvious
*******MOD POST*********

Insulting or belittling another person or faith is not tolerated on this site​

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
prosecutor said:
robtex, the UU church is perfect for you. God has nothing to do with that bunch nor ever will.

Prosecutor

You're probably right. God trusts us to behave on our own. :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Snow,

I would probably kill your beautiful horses as I have no clues how to care for them! You ought to share some pictures of them with Ceridwen in the "post your Pic" thread.

As for going to church, this past month has been tough. I have not been as many times that I usually go, but only because of the various health issues that I have to deal with in my family. Yesterday was the first time in at least three weeks that I made it to Sunday am Worship. The outpouring of love and concern was nearly overwhelming. I am in charge of our "First Impressions Ministry" and greeting arriving members was tough. EVERYONE wanted to know how we were doing and so I stood by the least entered door, so as not to congest the entrance! After services, my son wanted to leave quickly, but I could barely move as my brothers and sisters heaped their love on me. I am truly blessed for where I choose to worship.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hmmnnn,

It's amazing how some defend arrogance and bad manners with statements like
I don't apoligize for truth no matter who it offends.
While I would never imply that the author of this sentence would ever stoop to that level, we ought to be careful that in our quest to defend the truth, we don't close the door to salvation in people's faces. I believe that's what Jesus condemned the Pharisees for:

Matthew 23:1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 "The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. 3 So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

My point on "defending the truth" is that no matter how a person responds to that truth it is like water off a ducks back to me. Jesus offended a lot of people and still does. He called the "scribes and the Pharisees" what they were in reality not what they thought of themselves or what others though of them. If I make a statement that God is not in a certain church or with a certain type person, it only becomes arrogant if it is untrue or if I on purpose try to run down that person or church. If it is a fact it cannot be called arrogant. The problem with so many of you is that you wear your feelings on your sleeve. If someone attacks my beliefs, I don't get mad or try to get even. I accept the charge as an opportunity to defend what I believe. That to me is an honor. So many don't want their religious comfort zones challenged. All this "sugar and spice" foolishness will not cause people to look again at what they believe or practice. If you get mad at me because I make a statement you don't like, show the statement false. Attacking me is proof that you can't answer the statement. One thing about the word "love". True love that is taught in the Bible is telling people they are going to hell if they don't do what God commands. Yet I never rejoice over any being lost but it break my heart so many are. I want play with your souls. It makes no difference to me how many "points" I loose. I does make a difference if I must write or speak in such a way that conceals what I really believe. To those of you who think you have "the right to believe as you wish", you are dead wrong. You have the freedom to choose what or who you will believe. You only have the "RIGHT" to do what God has authorized.
Prosecutor