• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Many Here Attend Church?

How Many Here Attend Church?

• Attend an established church

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • Do not attend church

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Home study group

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.9%

• Total voters

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I think I've set foot in a church 3 times in the last 10 years (once to be polite to the people I was staying with - I lasted until the first hymn before I walked out; once for a christening; once for a funeral). They make me very uncomfortable.

Lightkeeper

I don't attend church regularly, but I love churches. I especially like to go into them during the week when no one else is there. I feel very at peace.

Ceridwen018

Yeah, I go to church....why are you laughing?

Lol, my mom makes me. She suffers from acute denial. I don't mind too much though. Who knows? Maybe I will experience that unexplainable and sudden conversion she's hoping for.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I attend a UU church, whenever I can get the kids up and organized early enough to go, which hasn't been enough lately. Gotta get back in the habit, I really miss it.

meogi

Ceridwen018 said:
Yeah, I go to church....why are you laughing?

Lol, my mom makes me. She suffers from acute denial. I don't mind too much though. Who knows? Maybe I will experience that unexplainable and sudden conversion she's hoping for.
Me too! At least when I'm in America... I go more as support for my mother though... she's going through some tough stuff right now :(

Doc

Space Chief
I go to church but I get more out of meditating at home in my room before I go to bed each night. It helps clear my mind and I sleep better at night. If I go to church too often whether serving or not, I feel like I am going through the motions I mentally wander off.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
My church is nature, and I go every day. :)

By the way Doc, could you explain Franciscanism? Does it have anything to do with St. Francis? Back when I was Catholic, St. Francis was my Patron Saint.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I kind of attend church... I write poetry, essays about the joys I find in the the plant/ earth/ mineral/ animal kingdoms and about my beliefs, and I try to organize others into gathering for a religious worship (what is that phrase about 'herding cats'?) There isn't really any organized meeting place that I feel comfortable in spiritually, at the moment, though.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I chose other; my situation is a bit hard to describe. My sangha is still very small; while we are incorporated, and recognized by our national group as a temple, we still meet in my home. We also participate in a local CRS center; mostly with their youth group, as our sangha isn't large enough to have established a youth group as yet.

martha

I used to go to church every day. It grew increasingly more difficult to be there by 7:30 am considering I have to get dressed, walk the dog and then walk twelve blocks to get there. It is easier in the winter because I don't have to worry about what I am wearing, I can go in my pajamas if need be as long a I have my long coat on.:)
I attend Mass on weekends and I am a lector ( someone who reads the Word at Mass).
I enjoy Church and sometimes wish Mass was longer. I would love to sing and praise God longer. Perhaps I should be a Baptist, eh beloved? :)

Joyfully in Jesus,

Martha

robtex

Veteran Member
I attend a UU church. I would love to hear meogi thoughts on it since you are an athiest....the church that is. I do more study on my own though....I consider this part of my study.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Lightkeeper writes: I don't attend church regularly, but I love churches. I especially like to go into them during the week when no one else is there. I feel very at peace.
For many years previous, I couldn’t quite understand Churches but a close friend of mine shared with me this same explanation and since I Understood her I UNDERSTAND why some people enjoy BEing in them.

Druidus writes: Back when I was Catholic, St. Francis was my Patron Saint.

If I REMEMBER CORRECTLY that is like your Confirmation name, right? My Confirmation name was The Apostle Peter.

SOGFPP writes: I attend Mass every Sunday and usually 2-3 times during the week.

SOGFFP besides mass, are there other responsibilities you are involved in with the Church? Do you teach?

Scott1

SOGFFP besides mass, are there other responsibilities you are involved in with the Church? Do you teach?
Thanks for the question carrdero.
I teach a RCIA (classes for new Catholics) for adult converts in my parrish and do a few non-theological things like work at the parrish school bingo etc.

Master Vigil

My church is where I can meditate. So that includes my house, the woods, my school, my girlfriends house, my parents house, etc... I do often go to many different churches. Different christian churches, jewish temples, buddhist temples, I even went to a muslim service once. I find the woods, catholic churches, and buddhist temples to be the most spiritual. So I go to those more often than the others.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Well i go to shul not a church but same difference i suppose.:jiggy: I also attend functions during the week and i'm trying to get in the habit of praying 3 times a day but it's hard.

huajiro

Not to offend anyone, but I am completely against Churches. I feel that once you get something like a building involved in religion/spirituality it turns it into something material, as the building creates an expense, this allows someone the opportunity to capitalize on others. A building isn't even necessary.