• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many gods do panentheists believe in?

St Giordano Bruno

To put is simply from how I read it, Pantheism says God is the universe, Panentheism says God is the universe and a little bit more.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
So what do I call the brand of pantheism described in my post? Where gods are slightly less than the universe but still exist and are a part of it?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

God pervades and transcends all. We see with our limited consciousness. For example, even the worst of the worst... Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, Joseph Stalin, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Satan (I dont think any dharmic religion believes in Satan)...

Outwardly their actions and physical forms do great evil, yet their jiva, living being, soul, is pervaded by God. It's hard to grasp, but even your worst enemy, a person you hate with a passion has the spirit of God within them.

To say namaste, pranam, vanakkam is to say "I bow to you (because the spirit of God is within you)". I wrestle with this myself because I have a sister-in-law I hate with a passion. She has been nothing but trouble since the day she was born. But I have to keep in mind it's only her physical form and her actions in this world that are "evil". She is still pervaded by God, and is part of the Absolute.
Oh, okay. I will try to keep that in mind.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So what do I call the brand of pantheism described in my post? Where gods are slightly less than the universe but still exist and are a part of it?

Probably polytheism.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, it gets crazy. You should see the subtleties involved in the "differing" vedantic schools. That's why labels are bad. You can go crazy.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't know about just one; what if some panentheists believe in another God that has another universe within him?

That sounds like some funky New Age stuff, right?

I believe that God is the Origin or origins, the Cause of all causes.
This has contradictions attached to it. How can something be good and evil at the same time. Its almost like preaching ying and yang. How can something destroy and create at the same time, unless there are two beings and spiritual beings of light and darkness. The good being would have to overrule the evil beings, to govern the world fairly. An energy is substance, electricity cannot talk, and fire doesnt understand people.