• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many friends do you have?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I have a lot of people I am aquatinted with and talk to. They are not friends!

I have very little interest in many friends, when I discover what most people talk about, and how highly irritating it is to be around such chatter.

I'm not saying I am a better person than they, but my interest is in connecting with Spiritual entities that are greater than myself, and doing their will.

I find that is not the interest of the average person, so feel like being friends with the average person, and being around such chatter, it alienates me from God, the Virgin Mary, and the Spiritual Empire and brotherhood I long to be connected to (and do their bidding).

I would say I have a true friend in Minneapolis who called me two days ago. He loves to hear about all the bizarre signs and coincidences I come across, and some of the meaning I attach to them. He is not a religious person, but he says that if I'm not bull****ting him, and those things happen like they do, and all the dots connect, he said is irrefutable that the universe is involved with some independent force or sentient being, other than mere chance or coincidence.

But I don't think he believes in God either.

It was weird. I saw him wearing a "dead Kennedys" logo, and he played dead kennedys music for me. I went up to my room immediately after he played "Dead Kennedys" music, and checked RF notifications, and someone resurrected an old thread of mine that hadn't been posted at in months, and the post resurrecting the dead thread, was about the "dead Kennedys" group.

That recovery center was next to Saint Olaf's Church , which had a plaque to John F Kennedy, at the Pew he attended Mass there.
It caused me to study JFK , because he has my favorite person I ever met's birthday, the day he died (He was assasinated 11/22, she was born 11/22.) This lead me to love Jackie Kennedy (Jackie is an alternative for my surname). I taped a picture of Jackie Kennedy on my wall on Christmas, as I said, and a brand new cell phone showed up in my locked security Hallway with the name Jaquelin (Jackie's name on her birth certificate), last name beginning in "K", the following New Years day. The phone was brand new and is a "Schok" phone, and I was shocked.

It works, I just had to register as "Jackie". I only share the story again because it is "President's day" , and JFK was my favorite President. Because of that sign and wonder, I feel like JFK and Jackie are my friends. I feel like I bless them and they bless me.

But I don't think a lot of people would call that a legitimate friendship. Thing is, I find people just don't talk about things that interest me, and if people are not helping me grow more wise, have more understanding, increasing virtue, raising my moral standards, advancing my knowledge about things it is good to be knowledgeable about, I just don't have interest in having them as friends.

I am most happy when I am chanting to, invoking, blessing, and petitioning my friends in Heaven, or receiving what I interpret as signs from above.

But having lots of true friends would be wonderful, and I feel I have them, they are just Heavenly beings. I think a lot of people who think they have a lot of friends, would be surprised that they don't have as many friends as they think.

There are many celebrities who probably don't have a friend in the world. They might have people who are drawn to their money, fortune, fame, talent, good looks etc, but do they really have people who love them for who they are, if they had none of those qualities?

Thoughts? How many friends do you think you have? I think currently , other than immediate family, and other than people on the Internet, in real life, out of people I met, I have three male friends, and two female friends.

The two female friends I used to spend lots of time with in real life, but I also don't live in the same state they do anymore. One of them is sending me a pair of Saint Dymphna (Patron Saint of the mentally ill) socks in the mail I should get soon :)

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a complicated question.

I recently found out that a good friend of mine from back in my Chicago days had passed away. In fact, I knew him from living in Virginia, and he was one of only two people I knew living in Chicago at the time I first moved to Chicago, in 1982. Myself and another friend stayed in his apartment for a week until we could find our own place. And we remained good friends and even coworkers for many years after that.

I eventually lost touch with him as I had to quit drinking and could no long go out and hang with him in the bars, and shoot pool, as we once did. And he started getting into the beach volleyball scene (he was tall and fit, and I was not). So we drifted apart. But at no time did I ever consider that he was no longer a good friend, and I feel pretty sure he'd say the same of me.

Eventually I left Chicago and he stayed. He had bought a house and had only a sister down south, so for him, Chicago had become home. But I had a whole family living elsewhere, and as I got older, I decided to return to where they all lived. Anyway, the long and short of it is that to me, he is and will always be a good friend. And I have other good friends that are now scattered around the country, some of whom I see and talk to regularly, some of whom I have not seen or talked to in years. And yet I still feel certain that if I were to go visit them tomorrow, we would be as good a friends as we had always been. And when I think about them, I still think of them with the same warm appreciation as ever.

In fact, in the future, I hope I don't find out that any of them have died, even if they have. Because for me, they will always be that good friend that I just haven't spoken to for a while, but that I think of fondly and warmly; out there in the world, being their wonderful selves. (Even if they aren't anymore.)

Real friendship is an interesting thing. Almost like loving a spouse or something, a thing that never really ends even when the interaction does.

Suave

Simulated character

I have very little interest in many friends, when I discover what most people talk about, and how highly irritating it is to be around such chatter.

I'm not saying I am a better person than they, but my interest is in connecting with Spiritual entities that are greater than myself, and doing their will.

I find that is not the interest of the average person, so feel like being friends with the average person, and being around such chatter, it alienates me from God, the Virgin Mary, and the Spiritual Empire and brotherhood I long to be connected to (and do their bidding).

I would say I have a true friend in Minneapolis who called me two days ago. He loves to hear about all the bizarre signs and coincidences I come across, and some of the meaning I attach to them. He is not a religious person, but he says that if I'm not bull****ting him, and those things happen like they do, and all the dots connect, he said is irrefutable that the universe is involved with some independent force or sentient being, other than mere chance or coincidence.

It was weird. I saw him wearing a "dead Kennedys" logo, and he played dead kennedys music for me. I went up to my room immediately after he played "Dead Kennedys" music, and checked RF notifications, and someone resurrected an old thread of mine that hadn't been posted at in months, and the post resurrecting the dead thread, was about the "dead Kennedys" group.

That recovery center was next to Saint Olaf's Church , which had a plaque to John F Kennedy, at the Pew he attended Mass there.
It caused me to study JFK , because he has my favorite person I ever met's birthday, the day he died (He was assasinated 11/22, she was born 11/22.) This lead me to love Jackie Kennedy (Jackie is an alternative for my surname). I taped a picture of Jackie Kennedy on my wall on Christmas, as I said, and a brand new cell phone showed up in my locked security Hallway with the name Jaquelin (Jackie's name on her birth certificate), last name beginning in "K". The phone was brand new and is a "Schok" phone, and I was shocked.

It works, I just had to register as "Jackie". I only share the story again because it is "President's day" , and JFK was my favorite President. Because of that sign and wonder, I feel like JFK and Jackie are my friends. I feel like I bless them and they bless me.

But I don't think a lot of people would call that a legitimate friendship. Thing is, I find people just don't talk about things that interest me, and if people are not helping me grow more wise, have more understanding, increasing virtue, raising my moral standards, advancing my knowledge about things it is good to be knowledgeable about, I just don't have interest in having them as friends.

I am most happy when I am chanting to, invoking, blessing, and petitioning my friends in Heaven, or receiving what I interpret as signs from above.

But having lots of true friends would be wonderful, and I feel I have them, they are just Heavenly beings. I think a lot of people who think they have a lot of friends, would be surprised that they don't have as many friends as they think.

There are many celebrities who probably don't have a friend in the world. They might have people who are drawn to their money, fortune, fame, talent, good looks etc, but do they really have people who love them for who they are, if they had none of those qualities?

Thoughts? How many friends do you think you have? I think currently , other than immediate family, and other than people on the Internet, in real life, out of people I met, I have three male friends, and two female friends.

The two female friends I used to spend lots of time with in real life, but I also don't live in the same state they do anymore. One of them is sending me a pair of Saint Dymphna (Patron Saint of the mentally ill) socks in the mail I should get soon :)
Since I have lost my job and wife, I now only have one very close dear friend, namely my daughter. I am also Facebook friends with my fellow Matrixist Eddi. Perhaps, we could also be friends, then I will have increased my active friendships by 50 percent.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My one true friend is my husband
I have quite a few people who i would say are varying degrees of friendship
A long time best friend, thought not seen her so much since covid.
In fact you can say that for most of my friends, they are in the UK, it's one of the things you don't really think of before moving country, how much you'll miss them.
There are a handful of local French, American and British people ive met here that i get on well with

Counting all those id be happy for them to come and visit for a week or few or we go visit them i would say around 25 people are friends.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Well,
Maybe I should quit complaining. Maybe i am very fortunate.

In Montana, a lady gave me a hug and said "a lot of people love you Matthew".

A lot of people don't have that, so I should stop complaining , I guess....

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I have very few friends, less than a handful. My husband is my best friend, but I have four good friends that I have known since childhood. We rarely see each other since we don't live near each other, and we have our own lives to live. We keep in contact on Facebook. I have another good friend that I met while I was involved in protests against the Dakota Access Pipeline. He is a Native American activist, and he's also a well-known actor. He's a very kind and compassionate person, and I have a lot of respect for him.

Last edited:

Nimos

Mmmhh.. not an easy question to answer, I have a quite a lot of people I would consider friends, despite me not seeing them all that much. But it is basically friends for life. Most of them I have been friends with for at least 25+ years and think from what I can quickly count its about 12-14 people. Then I come from a big and close family connected through grandparents which all stuck together, so guess it carried on. So adding all the cousins which I know very well as well, I think it would add up, to close to 30-35 in total or something like that. Then we hold huge family parties as well for the whole family, which means everyone that simply have the same last name or that are connected to the grandparents, so we reach around 150-200 I think, not sure, but a lot, but many of these I don't know that well :D

And not really enjoying these things, its not always great to be honest, but for the most part it is fun :)

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There are lots of definitions of "friends". I like to think that a friend is someone who will help you out when you're in need. We live on a remote island, without a lot of the conveniences of urban and suburban life. Friends are really important out here! I'd say I have maybe 6 to 8 people that I could call at 2am with a problem, and they'd help out.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have one friend. She comes to see me sometimes; we bake cakes together on Sundays. We also gather sometimes to celebrate each other's religious stuff.

Her wife and I were friends, and we still are in words, but she ignores me most of the time, and is sometimes rude, or will ditch out on things we have planned. I don't really consider her a friend anymore; more an acquaintance. If it wasn't for the fact that her wife and I are friends, I doubt we'd keep in contact. A lot of it is she has a refusal to keep her mental illnesses in check, and uses them as an excuse to behave in awful ways. (She won't seek treatment or take medicine.)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Maybe we all should try to get together with RFers who live nearby. No, I am not a stalker, I just like people. Y'all seem nice.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have two very close friends that I've had for over 70 years plus many secondary friends that includes family.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It caused me to study JFK , because he has my favorite person I ever met's birthday, the day he died (He was assasinated 11/22, she was born 11/22.) This lead me to love Jackie Kennedy (Jackie is an alternative for my surname). I taped a picture of Jackie Kennedy on my wall on Christmas, as I said, and a brand new cell phone showed up in my locked security Hallway with the name Jaquelin (Jackie's name on her birth certificate), last name beginning in "K", the following New Years day. The phone was brand new and is a "Schok" phone, and I was shocked.

My friends can be summed up with Jim Carroll.