• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many biblical literalists are there in the U.S.?

Agnostic75

I am trying to reasonably establish that while biblical literalism has dropped in the U.S. during the past three decades, that drop has not been as substantial as many people think it has been, and that biblical literalists still have a lot of political power. All biblical literalists are not exactly the same, but some evidence implies that there are still tens of millions of Americans who are biblical literalists.

An article at Four in 10 Americans Believe in Strict Creationism says that a December 17, 2010 Gallup Poll shows that "four in 10 Americans, slightly fewer today than in years past, believe God created humans in their present form about 10,000 years ago." An article at Beliefs of the U.S. public about evolution and creation mentions the same poll and shows that from 1982 to 2010, or almost 30 years, there was only a drop of four percentage points from 44% to 40%.

A Gallup Poll website at One-Third of Americans Believe the Bible Is Literally True says that in 2007, "about one-third [31%] of the American adult population believes the Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally word for word. This percentage is slightly lower than several decades ago."

Consider the following:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

U.S. Census Bureau said:

U.S. population - 308,745,538

Persons under 18 years - 24%

So there are about 234 million adults in the U.S. That means that If 31% of adults believe that the Bible is absolutely accurate and should be taken literally, that is 71 million Americans, or almost 10 million more people than the populations of the two largest states combined, which are California and Texas.

I believe that it is reasonable to conclude that tens of millions of Americans believe that the earth is young, and/or that a global flood occurred. Regarding people who believe that God created humans in their present form about 10,000 years ago, isn't it reasonable to conclude that a sizeable majority of them also believe that the story of Adam and Eve is literally true? If so, isn't it also reasonable to conclude that most of them also believe that a global flood occurred since the flood story is also in the book of Genesis?

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

I believe that it is reasonable to conclude that tens of millions of Americans answer poll questions with little or no understanding of what the questions actually mean. How many agree that they believe the bible is true without any knowledge of what that truth actually is. Few if any have read more than a few pages of the bible and what they read they don't understand in the same ways as others.

In other words, I don't think the polls are the best source of data.

Agnostic75

Jayhawker Soule said:
Therefore? What precisely are you seeking to debate and why?

Opening post, first paragraph:

"I am trying to reasonably establish that while biblical literalism has dropped in the U.S. during the past three decades, that drop has not been as substantial as many people think it has been, and that biblical literalists still have a lot of political power."

In a thread at http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...es/125012-possible-bible-contradiction-3.html, fallingblood said that "more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind." He was referring to biblical literalism. In addition, in a thread at http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-religious-debates/125026-global-flood-11.html, he said that "if you do that actual comparison, you will get that YECs actually compose only about 4-5 percent of the population (at most, 12%)." I request that fallingblood post his sources that back up that claim, which I think is way too low.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Opening post, first paragraph:

"I am trying to reasonably establish that while biblical literalism has dropped in the U.S. during the past three decades, that drop has not been as substantial as many people think it has been, and that biblical literalists still have a lot of political power."

In another thread, fallingblood said that "more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind."
So the debate is over whether "more and more" means "substantial." OK. Parenthetically, you are quoting post #30. I see nothing there to indicate that failingblood was attempting to make a substantive argument about the US, but I could be wrong.

In any event, if we were to say - "in the US more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind but the numbers are far from substantial" - would you agree? I suspect that failingblood would. Do you doubt that?

Agnostic75

Jayhawker Soule said:
So the debate is over whether "more and more" means "substantial." OK. Parenthetically, you are quoting post #30. I see nothing there to indicate that failingblood was attempting to make a substantive argument about the US, but I could be wrong.

In any event, if we were to say - "in the US more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind but the numbers are far from substantial" - would you agree? I suspect that failingblood would. Do you doubt that?

In a thread at A possible Bible contradiction, fallingblood said that "more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind." He was referring to biblical literalism. In addition, in a thread at The global flood, he said that "if you do that actual comparison, you will get that YECs actually compose only about 4-5 percent of the population (at most, 12%)." I request that fallingblood post his sources that back up that claim, which I think is way too low.

I agree with "in the US more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind but the numbers are far from substantial."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree with "in the US more and more Christians are leaving such ideas behind but the numbers are far from substantial."
Great. So if failingblood likewise agrees we can leave this thread behind and move on to something more valuable ...

Agnostic75

Jayhawker Soule said:
Great. So if failingblood likewise agrees we can leave this thread behind and move on to something more valuable.

We can leave this thread behind if fallingblood provides reasonable evidence that at best, only 12% of Americans are young earth creationists.