• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long till yogurt goes bad?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Look at it. Is it green(or any other color it shouldn't be) or moldy? If so, its probably bad. If not, you're probably okay. A little liquid on the top is normal.

Essentially, yogurt itself is a soured product, so if it sours... so what. That's what yogurt does...

I keep my yogurt for weeks.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Look at it. Is it green(or any other color it shouldn't be) or moldy? If so, its probably bad. If not, you're probably okay. A little liquid on the top is normal.

Essentially, yogurt itself is a soured product, so if it sours... so what. That's what yogurt does...

George, for some reason, I knew you would be one of the first responders to this thread!

Just a hunch I had! :D

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Have you had your yogurt change colors?:eek:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
George, for some reason, I knew you would be one of the first responders to this thread!

Just a hunch I had! :D
Good to see you show up with the avatar of our noble lovely lady Sita with her adorable Twins, to remind me I live in the Twin Cities! She is undoubtedly the perfect mother and nurturer!:heart:

You have more different avatars than anyone. :D

I wondered what your avatar changing averages out to, @JustGeorge . :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Have you had your yogurt change colors?:eek:

I think that I have had some camp out in quiet corner of my fridge until it turns green. Not the whole thing. It is a lot like cheese turning green. With cheese you can carve off the green parts.

And then there are cheeses where they allow them to "go bad" under controlled conditions. They are called Roquefort. Gorgonzola, Feta, and Blue cheese.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
@JustGeorge
The facility I live at served chicken today and I ate it. Is that gross?

I know how much you love chickens. :(

Well, its gross(to me, probably not to omnivorous folks), but it doesn't seem like you get a lot of choice in what you eat there, if I'm not mistaken...

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Is there not a best before date stamped on the carton?
There probably is, but sometimes you can eat expired food without a problem.

I was 7 months at a mission in the ghetto of Buffalo new York that served expired food to hundreds of homeless people every day , it seemed, and it didn't seem to do harm.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Most of the time with dairy, you don't want to go over 3 days expired, but yogurt is an exception, due to the nature of what it is. You're probably okay with expired cheese, too, as its visible when its bad(and you can just cut that part off).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Before they put dates on things we would sniff them and taste them. We lived.

BEST before dates are just indicators of likely freshness.
Consume before dates are warning dates that they may be off after that date.
But none of these dates are absolutes.
Things could be bad before or after these dates, they are just a guide.
Your nose is more accurate.

I buy kilo tubs of natural yoghurt that I use in fresh fruit smoothies, I usually have three or four in the fridge that I use in date order, they usually have a month in advance date on them. But I exceed that quite often. In the past 5 or 6 years I have only has one go sour on me .

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I was 7 months at a mission in the ghetto of Buffalo new York that served expired food to hundreds of homeless people every day , it seemed, and it didn't seem to do harm.

Just a guide.

Here is a snippet you may like. French supermarkets are not allowed to throw out of date food away, it must be given to charity, homeless shelters, food banks etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Food does go bad.
30f874f3e5e6e3267f220a50012ad3b3.jpg

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just thrown out a kilo Tub of natural yoghurt, it smelt musty. I found a small piece of hard green organic matter in it. However I do not think it had gone bad. Just contaminated.
Next tub of same date was fine.