• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How long does a gig of data usually last you?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I know data use-rate is metered according to what you're doing rather than amount of time you're online, but typically, how long does it take you to use up a Gig of data on your phone?

Wondering because I've been trying out different off-brand cell-service providers for the last month or so, and I'm noticing a big difference in the time it takes to use up my data allowance doing basically the same things.

The plan I'm on now is using up about 100 mb per 10 minutes or so of basic browsing, which seems ridiculous to me.

*Edit: mean't 10 mb per 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
I know data use-rate is metered according to what you're doing rather than amount of time you're online, but typically, how long does it take you to use up a Gig of data on your phone?

Wondering because I've been trying out different off-brand cell-service providers for the last month or so, and I'm noticing a big difference in the time it takes to use up my data allowance doing basically the same things.

The plan I'm on now is using up about 100 mb per 10 minutes or so of basic browsing, which seems ridiculous to me.

100 mb per 10 minutes? Are you sure?

I'm searching horse sales, equipment, and such online daily, read all sorts of news daily, watch several videos daily, down load songs all the time, and even blue tooth movies to my TV and only use 23,000 to 28,000 MB per month.

Edit. I even sometimes let others use my data by making my phone a hotspot.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

If I turn off my wifi and only used cell data I run about 2 gigs a month. But that's only because I would stay away, as much as I can, from streaming video/audio while just on cell. But I leave my wifi on and tap into that and stream all day/night and barely touch my cell data nowadays. I pay $25 a month for unlimited talk/text and 1 gig of data.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
100 mb per 10 minutes? Are you sure?

I'm searching horse sales, equipment, and such online daily, read all sorts of news daily, watch several videos daily, down load songs all the time, and even blue tooth movies to my TV and only use 23,000 to 28,000 MB per month.

Sorry, I mean't 10 mb per 10 minutes or so, which still seems like a lot.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

*Edit: mean't 10 mb per 10 minutes or so.

I use 1 gigabyte per week, on my mobile and on my laptop both.

I only browse Ebay, RF, gmail and google, but I do spend about an hour per day on both.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I do have unlimited data. Downloading and streaming high quality music and HD videos burns through data like nothing.

Ah. I always use public wifi to download videos and music, rather than streaming so I'm thinking I could probably get away with an 8 to 10 gig a month plan.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ah. I always use public wifi to download videos and music, rather than streaming so I'm thinking I could probably get away with an 8 to 10 gig a month plan.
I use my Wi-Fi at home. I need that for gaming, anyway. I have Boost Mobile, which is $50 for the unlimited tier. I had Metro before which is about the same.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

You probably could. Though keep in mind, just clicking on an embedded YouTube video on the forum, or a video on Youtube.... well there goes 500MB. Lol.