• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how is your religion helping you to age gracefully

Tumah

Veteran Member
I believe if somebody is believing in truth their life and everythin in it is suppose to be affected by its beauty.
So how is your religion helping you to age gracefully?

I'm just wondering: are you are asking people of other religions to validate your belief in the effects of religion?

ametist

I'm just wondering: are you are asking people of other religions to validate your belief in the effects of religion?

If you are thinking believing in what you believe is ought to dim and doom your life as days go by, the answer will be yes, I guess :)
In other case, you wouldnt recognize my question as an 'imposed' belief.
We all have certain assumptions when we ask a question, any question.thats the nature of asking questions,sharing ideas.
But again you can answer in anyway and I may reflect on it..anything against that in your belief?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We (Hindus) try very hard (not easy, but we try) to not identify ourselves with the physical body, emotions, or mind. We view the 'I' as the eternal soul, or jiva. So this idea of aging is merely something that happens to the physical body, which is not who we are. Many physical bodies that the soul inhabited earlier have aged and dropped off in death, so it's a natural process. We're also not particularly nostalgic, but try to remain aloof or detached from the past, and more focused on the now, doing what we are doing in the moment to a high level of focus.

So the idea of aging doesn't actually exist. It's just a natural process, as is death.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My 2 cents: any religion or philosophy that facilitates hope will help keep you looking forward with a minimum of fear, and allow you to look back with a minimum of regret.

Put all together, all of that allows you to keep moving forward, which is the difference between youth and old age: one imagines what could be, the other mourns what could have been.

"See, most people set themselves against Time, like a rock in a river, resisting it, trying to hold it back. They never can though: it’s just flows on around them, washes over them. Winds up wearing them down. I think that’s why people get old. "
---Tom Evermore.

Triumphant_Loser

Libertarian Egalitarian
I believe if somebody is believing in truth their life and everythin in it is suppose to be affected by its beauty.
So how is your religion helping you to age gracefully?

Religion makes you age gracefully? Someone should have told that to Fred Phelps. :p

Fred-Phelps.jpg

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I think that depends on the truth perceived, and whether or not it is actually perceived as beautiful. Further, i might perceive beauty but find myself unable to take part in it, or benefit from it.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Funny you all thought it was a physical aspect I was questioning.:) Perhaps it is a language thing but I dont necessarily mean the physical. Fine you want to include that aspect too but I am asking how your life is getting better and better believing what you believe as you get old.

Here are some scriptures that help me get past the whole aging thing, and look forward to the future.....nobody told me it would happen so fast! :facepalm:

I am looking forward to these......in a new world of God's making. (2 Pet 3:13)
“Let his flesh become fresher than in youth; let him return to the days of his youthful vigor.” (Job 33:25)

"At that time the eyes of the blind ones will be opened, and the very ears of the deaf ones will be unstopped. At that time the lame one will climb up just as a stag does, and the tongue of the speechless one will cry out in gladness. For in the wilderness waters will have burst out, and torrents in the desert plain. And the heat-parched ground will have become as a reedy pool, and the thirsty ground as springs of water. In the abiding place of jackals, a resting-place for [them], there will be green grass with reeds and papyrus plants." (Isa 35:5-7)

"And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea." (Isa 11:6-9)

"Let go of anger and abandon rage; Do not become upset and turn to doing evil. For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

"The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:8-11, 29)

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”

Can't wait!!! I feel younger already! :D

Last edited:

ametist

Here are some scriptures that help me get past the whole aging thing, and look forward to the future.....nobody told me it would happen so fast! :facepalm:

I am looking forward to these......in a new world of God's making. (2 Pet 3:13)
“Let his flesh become fresher than in youth; let him return to the days of his youthful vigor.” (Job 33:25)

"At that time the eyes of the blind ones will be opened, and the very ears of the deaf ones will be unstopped. At that time the lame one will climb up just as a stag does, and the tongue of the speechless one will cry out in gladness. For in the wilderness waters will have burst out, and torrents in the desert plain. And the heat-parched ground will have become as a reedy pool, and the thirsty ground as springs of water. In the abiding place of jackals, a resting-place for [them], there will be green grass with reeds and papyrus plants." (Isa 35:5-7)

"And the wolf will actually reside for a while with the male lamb, and with the kid the leopard itself will lie down, and the calf and the maned young lion and the well-fed animal all together; and a mere little boy will be leader over them. And the cow and the bear themselves will feed; together their young ones will lie down. And even the lion will eat straw just like the bull. And the sucking child will certainly play upon the hole of the cobra; and upon the light aperture of a poisonous snake will a weaned child actually put his own hand. They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea." (Isa 11:6-9)

"Let go of anger and abandon rage; Do not become upset and turn to doing evil. For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

"The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:8-11, 29)

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”

Can't wait!!! I feel younger already! :D

How nice and refreshing! :-D I can feel your energy from here. No wonder when I meet wit JW people on the bus we always have nice time, laugh and talk about many things. :)

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
How nice and refreshing! :-D I can feel your energy from here. No wonder when I meet wit JW people on the bus we always have nice time, laugh and talk about many things. :)

That's nice to hear. :)

I have never lost this energy in over 40 years as a JW. It inspires me every day.
It was not an energy I ever had in church.

The apostle Paul wrote...."For all these things are for your sake, so that the increase of the undeserved kindness should abound even more because many more are offering thanksgiving to the glory of God. Therefore, we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day. For though the tribulation is momentary and light, it works out for us a glory that is of more and more surpassing greatness and is everlasting; while we keep our eyes, not on the things seen, but on the things unseen. For the things seen are temporary, but the things unseen are everlasting." (2 Cor 4:15-18)

No matter what happens in the world or even in our personal life, we have this hope that lifts us and raises us above it all. This daily spiritual renewal keeps us 'alive' and engaged in the work that Jesus assigned to us. Its so good to be able to give this wonderful hope to others. :yes:

Nice thread.