• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is music not a tool of Satan?

DrTCH

Hmmm. Well, this is one of those oddly phrased questions, which suggests mischief.

1. Clearly, Satan is a mythical creature, so this question appears to have no relevance to my life. Incidentally, I hold that myth may have value, but not in the usual "N.Y.Times" sense of everyday reality, but more in a metaphoric/allegorical sense.

2. An honest inquiry would ask if various types of music have any connection with the mythical figure of the devil....or with "evil incarnate" (assuming there were such a thing, which I doubt). And my answer would be "NO."

On the other hand, I do think that some music tends to pull us down, and to be disruptive..such as about 90% of Hip Hop songs, and "Heavy Metal" rock music..and, to some extent, Punk "music."

And, on YET ANOTHER HAND, I maintain that the ABSOLUTE OBSESSION with sin and the devil, of some "Fundie Christians," is also terribly disruptive and negative in character. Blessings!!; )

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I do think that some music tends to pull us down, and to be disruptive..such as about 90% of Hip Hop songs, and "Heavy Metal" rock music..
I don't know what kind of "Heavy Metal" you're listening to, but it's hardly depressing. To juxtapose, did you ever really listen to the early Beatles? Talk about depressing...

DrTCH

1Og2F3v9R8OPjCci4gSw_Gwar.png

DrTCH

A "definition of Satan?" This is the Christian "Bogeyman," the Arch Enemy of the Fundie Christian's world view narrative....like in a Batman movie or some insipid film about the War on Terror (or the related--and insane-policies coming out of Washington). PEACE!!

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
How is music not an in-direct cause to hatred and violence?
"The sincere Muslim who is following the Quran will not find in the Quran any prohibition whatsoever of music or singing. God is very specific and His commands are very clear regarding any prohibition given in the Quran. God, the Most Merciful, never prohibited music or singing in the Quran. Any prohibition of music or singing that is talked about among some Muslims has no basis in the Quran. These prohibitions are innovations made up by some of the scholars and their followers who do not shy from refusing to follow the clear commands in the Quran and instead follow man made laws and books of Hadith and Sunna that contradict the Quran"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141022073956-334388224-music-is-not-forbidden-in-islam

sovietchild

How is music not an in-direct cause to hatred and violence?

"The sincere Muslim who is following the Quran will not find in the Quran any prohibition whatsoever of music or singing. God is very specific and His commands are very clear regarding any prohibition given in the Quran. God, the Most Merciful, never prohibited music or singing in the Quran. Any prohibition of music or singing that is talked about among some Muslims has no basis in the Quran. These prohibitions are innovations made up by some of the scholars and their followers who do not shy from refusing to follow the clear commands in the Quran and instead follow man made laws and books of Hadith and Sunna that contradict the Quran"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141022073956-334388224-music-is-not-forbidden-in-islam

Excuse me but what does that have to do with quoted question?

Last edited: