• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is Jesus serving as High Priest to God if he is God?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
The book of Hebrews has chapter and verse to say this about the Lord Jesus Christ:
  • “Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by a mere human being.” (Hebrews 8:1-2)
When it is claimed by certain faction of ideological ‘Christian’ belief that ‘Jesus is almighty God’, it seems strange that the writings of the book of Hebrews should insinuate that Jesus IS NOT ALMIGHTY GOD (YHWH) by rather he is a SERVANT High Priest TO ALMIGHTY GOD.

Hebrews 7 shows Jesus being assigned the high priesthood BY GOD to serve in the ETERNAL spiritual capacity of the life limited version on earth.

Jesus is likened to the mysterious Melkizedek, to whom even Abraham paid tithes. Yet Melkizedek is not called ‘Almighty God’ since he serves in the capacity of ‘High Priest to the God most high’.

How is it then that Jesus Christ (which the book of Hebrews describes as being appointed to the high priesthood BY ALMIGHTY GOD) called ‘Almighty God’ even while Jesus Christ serves exactly in the capacity of high priest:
  • “but he [Jesus Christ] became a priest with an oath when God said to him: “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: ‘You are a priest forever.’” (Hebrews 7:21)
Can it be so… can it be right… can it be true… that the Lord Jesus Christ is Almighty God AND a high priest to Almighty God?

Are there two Almighty Gods?

((Yet the ideological group of which I speak actually advocate that there are THREE ALMIGHTY GODS?))

Lain

The book of Hebrews has chapter and verse to say this about the Lord Jesus Christ:
  • “Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by a mere human being.” (Hebrews 8:1-2)
When it is claimed by certain faction of ideological ‘Christian’ belief that ‘Jesus is almighty God’, it seems strange that the writings of the book of Hebrews should insinuate that Jesus IS NOT ALMIGHTY GOD (YHWH) by rather he is a SERVANT High Priest TO ALMIGHTY GOD.

Hebrews 7 shows Jesus being assigned the high priesthood BY GOD to serve in the ETERNAL spiritual capacity of the life limited version on earth.

Jesus is likened to the mysterious Melkizedek, to whom even Abraham paid tithes. Yet Melkizedek is not called ‘Almighty God’ since he serves in the capacity of ‘High Priest to the God most high’.

How is it then that Jesus Christ (which the book of Hebrews describes as being appointed to the high priesthood BY ALMIGHTY GOD) called ‘Almighty God’ even while Jesus Christ serves exactly in the capacity of high priest:
  • “but he [Jesus Christ] became a priest with an oath when God said to him: “The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: ‘You are a priest forever.’” (Hebrews 7:21)
Can it be so… can it be right… can it be true… that the Lord Jesus Christ is Almighty God AND a high priest to Almighty God?

((Yet the ideological group of which I speak actually advocate that there are THREE ALMIGHTY GODS?))

Two answers for you: different Person, Incarnation.

Good question. I think it would be best to answer with this:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

:)

Lain

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

In my opinion: St. Paul, one of the greatest minds to walk the Earth, never has a better answer been given. Thank you for sharing.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

the only way to serve as high priest and be god is as a monist

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

this then would cancel out hebrews and jesus being made in the image of melchizedek, or patterned/ordered. melchizedek is referred to as the 1st high priest. this is where the mimicking of aaron came in. it was based on lineage, but melchizedek wasn't an israelite

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In my opinion: St. Paul, one of the greatest minds to walk the Earth, never has a better answer been given. Thank you for sharing.
paul, had shortcomings. it is because of paul's work that most of the disciples who had been trained for 3.5 yrs to share the good news got shunted aside. jesus chose those 12 for a reason. jesus never said that paul would sit judging israel and that was for a reason.

matthew 19:28 and luke 22:28-30

Lain

paul, had shortcomings. it is because of paul's work that most of the disciples who had been trained for 3.5 yrs to share the good news got shunted aside. jesus chose those 12 for a reason. jesus never said that paul would sit judging israel and that was for a reason.

matthew 19:28 and luke 22:28-30

All in my opinion: they haven't been shunted aside at all, they still rule the Church, St. Peter is the most prominent of them (as Jesus said) and speaks to us today, and the 12 will have their Thrones, have their Thrones, and will judge Israel still. What shortcomings are you talking about? The Lord Jesus Himself sent St. Paul out as His very own.

lostwanderingsoul

If a man named John Doe has a son named Sam Doe, they are both Doe. They are the same family named Doe. If a God has a son, they are both God. The same family named God. God is the FAMILY of father and son. There is only one God just like there is only one family baned Doe. A father and a son named Doe and a father and son named God. God is not a person. God is a family.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
If a man named John Doe has a son named Sam Doe, they are both Doe. They are the same family named Doe. If a God has a son, they are both God. The same family named God. God is the FAMILY of father and son. There is only one God just like there is only one family baned Doe. A father and a son named Doe and a father and son named God. God is not a person. God is a family.
You are right to say, ‘If a Man … had a Son…’

But God is not a man!

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
All in my opinion: they haven't been shunted aside at all, they still rule the Church, St. Peter is the most prominent of them (as Jesus said) and speaks to us today, and the 12 will have their Thrones, have their Thrones, and will judge Israel still. What shortcomings are you talking about? The Lord Jesus Himself sent St. Paul out as His very own.
there are books written by the apostles that didn't get included, yet somehow a little known saul gets 1/2 of the new testament. seriously?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
god created all so then all is the offspring of god.

Act 17:28

Lain

there are books written by the apostles that didn't get included, yet somehow a little known saul gets 1/2 of the new testament. seriously?

All in my opinion: As far as I know not much else was in fact written, and of the many texts bearing the names of the Apostles were in fact false. Again, the Lord Jesus is He who selected these works and St. Paul for this purpose, and St. Paul taught the same thing as the rest of them, as they themselves bore and bear witness.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
All in my opinion: As far as I know not much else was in fact written, and of the many texts bearing the names of the Apostles were in fact false. Again, the Lord Jesus is He who selected these works and St. Paul for this purpose, and St. Paul taught the same thing as the rest of them, as they themselves bore and bear witness.
jesus didn't write anything but you have multiple writers claiming he said this and that. if you're going to control the power, you have to keep the followers in the dark and feed them only what you need to keep them moving.

if you can enslave the mind, the body will follow. you don't need shackles, or boundary lines once the mind believes there is a limit.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If God is omnipresent then there is no where God is not.
The Gospel of Thomas: (77) Jesus said, “It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.”

If this is true, then in every gaze you meet, it is God looking back at you.

Lain

The topic under discussion is the priesthood of Christ to God.

All in my opinion: it was stated by St. Paul simply that Christ is the mediator between the Father and us. This indicates that the Person of the Son differs from the Person of the Father, and He in His Person, by the Two Perfect Natures which He possessed, reconciles God to man. So the reason how it is possible He is a high priest is shown clearly.

74x12

Well for that matter how can Jesus be both the high priest who offers the sacrifice and the sacrifice itself? Let's take it further. How can Jesus be the temple, the priest and the sacrifice all at once?

pearl

Hebrews presents a theological matrix. Hebrews offers a vision of the heavenly courts and of God at whose right hand sits the Son.
To fill out his portrait of the heavenly realms, the author uses a chain of scriptural citations. The author of Hebrews had many more links in his chain of quotations. He cites an additional six texts and alludes to several more before bringing his list to a close with the words, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet” (Ps110:1), the Jewish Scripture most often cited in the New Testament. Quotations from the Jewish Scriptures run throughout the text of Hebrews. The historical figures to whom the author makes reference as “our ancestors” and the “witnesses that surround us” are the great figures of the biblical tradition. The author is at his best when he uses his inspired religious imagination to develop a Christology that portrays the virtually unknown Melchizedek as a type of Jesus the high priest, and when he uses the liturgy of Yom Kippur to portray the salvific effect of the Son's return to the heavenly Father.

We don't realize how much the author has packed in this 'letter'.
No other text in the New Testament so focuses on the humanity of Jesus as does the Letter to the Hebrews.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The topic under discussion is the priesthood of Christ to God.

And as well Biblical literalism.

Well for that matter how can Jesus be both the high priest who offers the sacrifice and the sacrifice itself? Let's take it further. How can Jesus be the temple, the priest and the sacrifice all at once?

Because the Christ is beyond the realm of the intellect. And it's a statement that what appears to the intellect to be separate is in reality One.