• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is it possible

John1.12

Free gift
How is it possible to find complete calm from within but still feel the pressure from this world?
John 14:27

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Philippians 4:7

“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
John 14:27

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Philippians 4:7

“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
Jesus brings me peace too. :)

MonkeyFire

I’m not sure, but the dharma contains this funny little word ‘equanimity,’ which is defined as calmness under pressure. Maybe that will help.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Imo without equanimity you must fight, and with fighting you mustn’t be totally happy or whoever practices this would become sadist.
I do think to much happiness can lead toward an attachment to it too, everything have to be in just the right amount at the right time in life :)

Just because i feel overpowered by the outside world from time to time (especially in cities) it is also a form of development because i have to understand why it happen, and then use the calmness from within to gain calmness around me too.
(did that give any sense at all?)

MonkeyFire

I do think to much happiness can lead toward an attachment to it too, everything have to be in just the right amount at the right time in life :)

Just because i feel overpowered by the outside world from time to time (especially in cities) it is also a form of development because i have to understand why it happen, and then use the calmness from within to gain calmness around me too.
(did that give any sense at all?)

What would happen to you if you had to much happiness??? I think you cant have to much of anything because eventually you can’t measure that thing any more and you will lose sight of it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would happen to you if you had to much happiness??? I think you cant have to much of anything because eventually you can’t measure that thing any more and you will lose sight of it.
I think i have landed on contentment in my life :) Not only happiness and not only sadness/suffering but a bit of both every day, and it is just how this life have become for me. And to accept it that open my eyes a lot

idea

Question Everything
How is it possible to find complete calm from within but still feel the pressure from this world?

Seems like it would be unloving, uncaring to be "calm" in the midst of suffering and pain. A selfish endeavor to seek calm in the midst of suffering, rather than mourn with those who mourn, and seek to help lift others up.

Story time: I once had a student who got into an accident on the way to school - they were bloody, road rash up the side of their leg and body. I told them to go home, take the test another day, but they refused, wanted to take the test. They got the best grade in the class. Pain sharpens your awareness, fine tunes your understanding. Yin/Yang, opposition strengthens us. Lazy to avoid it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Seems like it would be unloving, uncaring to be "calm" in the midst of suffering and pain. A selfish endeavor to seek calm in the midst of suffering, rather than mourn with those who mourn, and seek to help lift others up.
When being calm within, it is much more easy to help other with a clear mind. and with compassion for what others going through the help one can give is deeper on every levels.
Personally i help someone every single day without thinking of my self.

idea

Question Everything
When being calm within, it is much more easy to help other with a clear mind. and with compassion for what others going through the help one can give is deeper on every levels.
Personally i help someone every single day without thinking of my self.

I disagree. Deep help comes from those who have experienced the same pain, who understand the problem deeply. Drug addicts are best helped by other who were once addicts, abuse victims are helped by others who were also abused, genuine care, crying together.
Calm = someone who does not care at all, who does not understand, who will not help, will ignore, just brush it under the rug ← avoid these people.
Cry, get angry, show emotions = someone who cares, understands, and will actually help.
Sorry, that is how I see it, what I have found from past experience of who actually helps.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I disagree. Deep help comes from those who have experienced the same pain, who understand the problem deeply. Drug addicts are best helped by other who were once addicts, abuse victims are helped by others who were also abused, genuine care, crying together.
Calm = someone who does not care at all, who does not understand, who will not help, will ignore, just brush it under the rug ← avoid these people.
Cry, get angry, show emotions = someone who cares, understands, and will actually help.
Sorry, that is how I see it, what I have found from past experience of who actually helps.
I have been bullied 12 years of my life,
i lost both my parents to cancer and i spend more than 15 years of my life helping first my father when he was sick and he died, then my mother got cancer twice in 10 years and i still was next to her until she also passed away and i had a fulltime job on top of this.
i have a brother who is a psycopath and he was treating like **** when i was trying to help our parents.and he did never lift a finger to help.
i have spend 8 years to help a woman who was my fiance for 5 of those years, and i am still helping her every day even she is not in a relationship with me.
So i can not say i spend much of my life thinking about my own needs. And through this, i am still now able to be calm within.

I had my share of experience in life too.

idea

Question Everything
I have been bullied 12 years of my life,
i lost both my parents to cancer and i spend more than 15 years of my life helping first my father when he was sick and he died, then my mother got cancer twice in 10 years and i still was next to her until she also passed away and i had a fulltime job on top of this.
i have a brother who is a psycopath and he was treating like **** when i was trying to help our parents.and he did never lift a finger to help.
i have spend 8 years to help a woman who was my fiance for 5 of those years, and i am still helping her every day even she is not in a relationship with me.
So i can not say i spend much of my life thinking about my own needs. And through this, i am still now able to be calm within.

I had my share of experience in life too.

I just think it is healthy to cry with people, to get angry with people. There are different kinds of calm, the spaced out detached can't deal with it so I will shut you out and pretend and act like nothing is wrong kind of calm, and there is the intense grit your teeth forced-because it's socially acceptable calm.... you can put a wall around yourself, define what is "outside" and what is "inside" as two different things, and stay isolated, stay alone through it all.... or mourn with those who mourn, get angry with those who are angry, allow what is outside to come inside, no walls, shared suffering.... there is this idea in other religious beliefs about knowing as you are known, about not being alone, not being separate. Personal boundaries preserve sanity, and I am no expert or guru to be sure.... but haven't you had times where you just wanted someone to cry with you? to get angry with you? to really be there with you? not just calmly peacefully pat you on the shoulder and tell you everything is ok when it is not?
I just think it is ok to have emotions. It is ok to cry, it is ok to get angry - it is part of being alive, it can be part of caring for others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I just think it is healthy to cry with people, to get angry with people. There are different kinds of calm, the spaced out detached can't deal with it so I will shut you out and pretend and act like nothing is wrong kind of calm, and there is the intense grit your teeth forced-because it's socially acceptable calm.... you can put a wall around yourself, define what is "outside" and what is "inside" as two different things, and stay isolated, stay alone through it all.... or mourn with those who mourn, get angry with those who are angry, allow what is outside to come inside, no walls, shared suffering.... there is this idea in other religious beliefs about knowing as you are known, about not being alone, not being separate. Personal boundaries preserve sanity, and I am no expert or guru to be sure.... but haven't you had times where you just wanted someone to cry with you? to get angry with you? to really be there with you? not just calmly peacefully pat you on the shoulder and tell you everything is ok when it is not?
I just think it is ok to have emotions. It is ok to cry, it is ok to get angry - it is part of being alive, it can be part of caring for others.
Speaking only for me. I do have compassion for all living beings, meaning i have no problem crying because of how others may have it, even if i see children in Africa i may cry out of compassion for them.
I do not feel a need for others to cry for me, because i am content with my life as it is, and the past is the past. so to me the emotions are about the present moment.

And i think you miss understand a bit, the path i am on is not to hide or lock my self in alone. but the way i can recharge my energy is to have time for my self, i do react to too much noise around me, so i do prefere silence.
I do very seldom get angry, and if it happens it is for a few minutes topps.
To understand once own emotions is important so we do not say, do or think bad about others from anger, jealosy and so on.

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

My personal view on this is based on my beliefs that once the soul ‘attains to the City of Certitude’ he then sees everything through the Eyes of God.

The station of Certitude is a state of knowing, of complete freedom from uncertainty and doubt which leads to perfect inner calm and contentment. It is the next level of humanity’s spiritual development, a completely new consciousness if you like. It will result in the transformation of the individual and society.

Civilisation cannot advance until it sorts out its inner conflicts and confusion about all the different interpretations and belief systems. Once it has been enabled by the Grace of God to reconcile these differences then humanity will be able to live in perfect peace.

Each and every soul is in this day, I believe, whether consciously or not, seeking to reconcile all the contradictions and put together the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle that explains the big picture. When this is achieved perfect calm will be the result.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My personal view on this is based on my beliefs that once the soul ‘attains to the City of Certitude’ he then sees everything through the Eyes of God.

The station of Certitude is a state of knowing, of complete freedom from uncertainty and doubt which leads to perfect inner calm and contentment. It is the next level of humanity’s spiritual development, a completely new consciousness if you like. It will result in the transformation of the individual and society.
When you said "City of Certitude" you reminded me of one of my favorite passages at the end if the Tablet of the True Seeker.
It is very close to my heart because ever since I discovered that City a moment’s separation from that City has been very difficult.

“They that valiantly labor in quest of God, will, when once they have renounced all else but Him, be so attached and wedded unto that City, that a moment’s separation from it would to them be unthinkable. They will hearken unto infallible proofs from the Hyacinth of that assembly, and will receive the surest testimonies from the beauty of its Rose, and the melody of its Nightingale. Once in about a thousand years shall this City be renewed and readorned….

That City is none other than the Word of God revealed in every age and dispensation. In the days of Moses it was the Pentateuch; in the days of Jesus, the Gospel; in the days of Muhammad, the Messenger of God, the Qur’án; in this day, the Bayán; and in the Dispensation of Him Whom God will make manifest, His own Book—the Book unto which all the Books of former Dispensations must needs be referred, the Book that standeth amongst them all transcendent and supreme.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 269-270