• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is it possible

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How is it possible to find complete calm from within but still feel the pressure from this world?
I wrote the following as part of a new thread but I never got around to posting it. Maybe I will eventually, but since it is related to what you asked, I will share it now.

Here are the beliefs and practices that help me minimize my worries and the religions I associate them with:

· Detachment from the material world (Baha’i Faith and Buddhism)

· Living in the moment, not thinking of the future (Buddhism)

· Accepting that whatever happens is the Will of God (Baha’i Faith and Christianity)

· Believing that God is guiding and helping me (Baha’i Faith and Christianity)

· Believing there is another life to come much better than this life (Baha’i Faith and Christianity)

I do find some of the beliefs from religions other than my own useful but these are just the religions I know something about. I would probably benefit from the beliefs of some other religions if I knew about them, so please share.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How is it possible to find complete calm from within but still feel the pressure from this world?

To tell you honestly, I never understood of "this world"...this society, fall of humanity, etc. It tends to make me wonder as individuals in what way is the world bothering us?

I'm alone at home and I experience calm when I'm in nature or sitting in front my altar. If I'm not calm, it's usually cause of my replaying thoughts that have to do with me and sometimes people at work or loved ones but the world...

1. Do you mean you see the bad in the world and it's making you upset?

2. If so, where do you place yourself in the world; are you Not the world?

I understand pressure from ego, even from work, but the world? Do explain.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This Hindu's POV ... At a certain stage in the sojourn of the soul, it isn't possible. If you're at that stage, then accept it, and don't beat yourself up over it. Welcome to the hordes of other embodied souls who have the same challenge.

The key is practice ... over many lifetimes. If you can find the Quiet, for even 10 seconds a day, you're on the right track. But honesty with yourself is key. Lying to yourself about it doesn't make it happen.

Course I'm probably wrong.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To tell you honestly, I never understood of "this world"...this society, fall of humanity, etc. It tends to make me wonder as individuals in what way is the world bothering us?

I'm alone at home and I experience calm when I'm in nature or sitting in front my altar. If I'm not calm, it's usually cause of my replaying thoughts that have to do with me and sometimes people at work or loved ones but the world...

1. Do you mean you see the bad in the world and it's making you upset?

2. If so, where do you place yourself in the world; are you Not the world?

I understand pressure from ego, even from work, but the world? Do explain.
What happens in the world do not upset me. But i wonder why some people strive after power then use it toward others

I am in the world but not a part of it in a sense

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What happens in the world do not upset me. But i wonder why some people strive after power then use it toward others

Of the world means people strive after power?

A lot of people believe they are not part of the world in a sense. So, what makes the world "the world" when most individuals don't believe they are part of it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not know, thats the reason for the OP :)

I'm stuck on the terminology. What is "the world" you're referring to in the OP?

Once that has been defined then the question if you're pressured by the world would make sense. So far, I'm not sure how you can be pressured or not if we don't know what you're being pressured by.

Kinda get it?

MikeF

Premium Member

You seem to be asking, "Why are people different from each other?". The answer is complex and multi-factorial. We have very little control over the behavior of others, and so we must accept that there will always be a myriad of personalities in the world, and focus on how we pursue what makes us happy while doing our best to mitigate the effect of those personalities that may negatively impact our happiness.

This is life for a social species.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You seem to be asking, "Why are people different from each other?". The answer is complex and multi-factorial. We have very little control over the behavior of others, and so we must accept that there will always be a myriad of personalities in the world, and focus on how we pursue what makes us happy while doing our best to mitigate the effect those personalities that may negatively impact our happiness.

This is life for a social species.

Could one not be a part of this if this is what is meant by "the world"?

MikeF

Premium Member
Could one not be a part of this if this is what is meant by "the world"?
If you mean, can one remove ones self from all society and live in isolation? I believe some try or have tried. The question is, can a social animal can be fully happy in isolation. Perhaps there are some on the autism spectrum that may truly be more happy in isolation.
If you mean that one removes ones self from the greater world by creating a small community of like-minded individuals in isolation or seclusion from the greater world, then yes, this has probably worked for some.

One aspect that the OP does not address is that for some, calm may not be achievable for medical/psychological reasons. Examples include obsessive compulsive disorder, chronic anxiety, and mania.

As we humans have a large variety of psychological and behavioral characteristics that are expressed in some variation in all of us, finding calm may naturally be more difficult or may come more easily, depending on the person.

Edit: I personally think one should first seek strategies and methods with which to live in the whole world as it is before entertaining progressively isolating ones self. There is good in the world that would be lost along with the bad.

Last edited: