• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is citizenship determined in your country?

atanu

Premium Member
The Citizenship Amendment Act of India, a brainchild of RSS-Modi Government is a brazen attempt to create a category of second class citizens in India. I wish to know how citizenship is established in USA, UK and any other country. Is religion a base in any country of the world?

For an introduction to the Act, the following may be seen.

British comedian John Oliver trended on Twitter in India on Monday as reactions swept social media following an episode of his weekly current-affairs programme roasted the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) with lacerating criticism of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Comedian John Oliver Trends On Twitter For Remarks On CAA Against PM Modi

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
RSS and Modi et al are hugely popular. They are popular because they touch the place where hatred of the others resides in the majority of the population.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In the US birth in the US geographically qualifies. Born outside the US as long as one or both of your parents are US citizens.

There are various ways to become a naturalized citizen, but all have required procedures wait times and fees.

1)Marriage to a US citizen 2 to 5 years as a resident.
2)Petitioned for residency by a US citizen or US employer + 5 years as a resident in good standing. Has most qualifiers.
3)Lottery very limited plus 5 years good standing as a resident.

atanu

Premium Member
In the US birth in the US geographically qualifies. Born outside the US as long as one or both of your parents are US citizens.

There are various ways to become a naturalized citizen, but all have required procedures wait times and fees.

1)Marriage to a US citizen 2 to 5 years as a resident.
2)Petitioned for residency by a US citizen or US employer + 5 years as a resident in good standing. Has most qualifiers.
3)Lottery very limited plus 5 years good standing as a resident.

Thank you Bob.

dianaiad

This is the basis for all the stupid "birther" objections to Obama; the claim was that he was not born on US territory, and that he was born Muslim.

As much as I disliked Obama's politics, I had major problems with this one. All that is required to be a ''born citizen' of the USA (and eligible to be POTUS) is that ONE of the parents be a US Citizen, naturalized or 'born.' Obama's mother was a US citizen, and therefore he was one, even if he had been born on the moon, and the religion his FATHER adhered to means nothing at all. Shoot, the religion his mother adhered to means nothing. The religion HE adhered to means nothing.

Now I have another problem with the pastor of the church Obama went to for many years; a more racist man I have never heard of in my life, but Obama claimed to be "christian' and I have no reason to think differently. Nor would I have, frankly, given a hoot.

Shad

Veteran Member
The Citizenship Amendment Act of India, a brainchild of RSS-Modi Government is a brazen attempt to create a category of second class citizens in India. I wish to know how citizenship is established in USA, UK and any other country. Is religion a base in any country of the world?

British comedian John Oliver trended on Twitter in India on Monday as reactions swept social media following an episode of his weekly current-affairs programme roasted the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) with lacerating criticism of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

In Canada citizenship is granted at birth for those born here. It is granted to those that have parents that are citizens. Immigrants go through an application process based on merit, education and financial capabilities which weed out burdens (low class) from becoming citizens. Religion isn't a criteria.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

How backward is India?
If you're born there, there is usually a record.
If you've been naturalized there's a record.
Poverty has nothing to do with it.

If India can't keep track of it's birth and immigration, they've a much bigger problem. How does this single out Muslims?

Shad

Veteran Member
How backward is India?

If India can't keep track of it's birth and immigration, they've a much bigger problem. How does this single out Muslims?

India is still a developing nation ergo it won't be able to track people as effectively as a developed nation.

This Act provides immunity for applicants so the government does not need to track anyone. The government only needs to verify that a person is a former resident of one of the identified nations and follows a religion within stated criteria. That is really low level information and easy to verify if target nations cooperate with documentation requests. Although given the controversy with this Act other nations may not cooperate as they would need to address the claims of oppression as every true applicant is making such a claim. None of the stated nations are bastions of human rights so denial of abuses should be expected.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Perhaps they should've amended to give exception to refugees who can show religious persecution instead of naming specific religions.

atanu

Premium Member
How backward is India?

People have documents. People have been citizens. They have voted. People are born and educated in India. But they have to prove their citizenship again through a prescribed set of documents. This can be bothersome for all but really worrisome for Muslims.

The combination of CAA and NRC is diabolic. NRC has been implemented in the state of Assam to weed out illegal immigrants. In NRC, one needed to establish the birth of parents too. So in NRC of Assam state, more Hindus than Muslims got identified as illegal immigrants. Therefore, CAA was brought in by way of a bill to exclude Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, and Sikhs from this illegal list.

India indeed is backward in large patches. All records may not be available with individuals, especially in villages. Even my wife does not have her birth certificate. Very few people will be able to provide their parents birth certificates. I cannot. If I were a Muslim, I would be really worried.

CAA is only one part of the issue. A section of government issues veiled threats of implementing Assam like NRC all over India. All those who cannot prove citizenship as per government’s requirements will be declared illegal through NRC.But through CAA all but Muslims will be accommodated.

CAA and NRC, if implemented country wide, will truly be diabolical show of discrimination for one particular community. Millions of Muslims chose secular India as their home, rejecting Shariah type Pakistan in 1947. They are integral part of India. But suddenly now they and their progeny will face the effect of country-wide NRC, if implemented, the worst.

Home minister Amit Shah and many in the rightist government have asserted in Parliament and in public that country wide NRC would be implemented. When the situation became volatile with all sections of population opposing the NRC (especially NRC in tandem with CAA), PM said that government was not contemplating the NRC. But many, including me, do not believe this PM. He is not known for truth.

I know many Muslims who are law abiding and god fearing citizens of India. They have hugely enriched India in culture, science, and business. I can only imagine their fears and apprehensions. NRC and CAA in tandem will be a deadly weapon in hands of zealot officials. Who will police them?

I hope that sanity returns soon.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Citizenship Amendment Act of India, a brainchild of RSS-Modi Government is a brazen attempt to create a category of second class citizens in India.
Atanu, your basic premise is wrong. Citizenship Amendment Act has nothing to do with Indian Citizens; whether they are Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhist, Jains, Jews or Zoroastrians.
Have you read the Act or are spouting what other people say?