• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How is a giant billboard promoting atheism not proselytizing?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It is proselytizing because that words means to try to convert someone. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
The billboard I'm taking about can be found in the article below. I don't care so much about it being taken down or not, but rather I'm curious how such a billboard is not proselytizing?

Nebraska Atheist Billboard Promoting “The Good Life Without God” Comes Down Following Complaints

It's stupid. Who cares. But if I had to call it something . . . I'd call it trolling, not proselytizing.

Also, it was paid for by a Lincoln Atheist group, and . . . I can't believe I have to say this. . . does not reflect the views or tactics of all atheists. It probably didn't even reflect the views and tactics of all the members of that particular group.

My two cents: This is a waste of money that could be better spent on legal action against encroachments on the separation of church and state, or PACs supporting political candidates who support the separation of church and state.

Keep your eye on the ball, Atheists of Lincoln, Nebraska!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The billboard I'm taking about can be found in the article below. I don't care so much about it being taken down or not, but rather I'm curious how such a billboard is not proselytizing?

Nebraska Atheist Billboard Promoting “The Good Life Without God” Comes Down Following Complaints

I have no problem with the billboard, although it does seem rather telling that they had to take it down after only a week. Because they had too many complaints. But who would actually take the time to complain about that?

On the other hand, was this atheist group on some kind of membership drive?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't care so much about it being taken down or not, but rather I'm curious how such a billboard is not proselytizing?

Proselytizing is *often* done in the context of religion, but it can be done in other contexts. I could proselytize on behalf of organic foods.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Would a billboard advertising a church be allowed? If so, this billboard should be allowed.

It seems less of an argument (proselytizing) than an advertisement (we are here if you want to visit).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It's stupid. Who cares. But if I had to call it something . . . I'd call it trolling, not proselytizing.

Also, it was paid for by a Lincoln Atheist group, and . . . I can't believe I have to say this. . . does not reflect the views or tactics of all atheists. It probably didn't even reflect the views and tactics of all the members of that particular group.

My two cents: This is a waste of money that could be better spent on legal action against encroachments on the separation of church and state, or PACs supporting political candidates who support the separation of church and state.

How is it trolling?? Would a similar sign on the part of a church be trolling?

As to the economics, you be right, but this got a lot of free publicity.

HonestJoe

That’s probably debatable and would get in to some pretty pointless etymological arguments (that would only be enjoyed by those of us who use words like etymological :) ).

I think the key question your post raises would be; So what if it was proselytizing? Are you suggesting billboards that proselytize aren’t or shouldn’t be permitted? That there’s something wrong with an atheist organisation doing it? Or maybe that if it was proselytizing it should have greater free speech protections?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

When I see that billboard, I see a message to atheists who might feel unhappy and alone, telling them that they can find a community of people who are going something similar to them.

Apparently, when you see it, you see something trying to convince theists to become atheists. Why?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's stupid. Who cares.
The atheist from rural Nebraska who doesn't know any other atheists and feels isolated and alone... who sees the billboard on a trip to town and suddenly discovers that he's not as alone as he thinks he is, and that once a month or so, he can do the hour drive to Lincoln, get some relief from the constant religious background noise for an evening, and hang out with some people who know what he's going through.

That's who cares.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Not a waste of money. Since they got their money back AND a vast amount of publicity; I'd say it was excellent value for money

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since it's a company that put the sign up and took it down, they have that right under the 1st Amendment. But what is probably hypocritical are those that complained about that but not about religion-based advertisements.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a better choice of words in this context than 'proselytize' would be 'persuade' or 'convince.' Just my opinion.

DavidFirth

Majority rules. That's America. If atheists are in the majority this sign stays up and religious signs will come down. It's just the way it is.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

I don't think it's proselytizing because it says "The Good Life Without God ... It's possible". It's not saying it's the only way, like Christian proselytizing ("Jesus is the only way to salvation"). It just says it is acceptable.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I don't see it as proselytizing, but rather more of a rebuttal. It is so very frequently assumed you need god in your life for it to be good and moral and with purpose and meaning, and that billboard challenged that idea. I'm also inclined to agree it's a statement of "you're not alone" to other atheists in the community, those who otherwise are constantly at odds with such deeply-seated views around them, and in a good number of cases are demeaned and degraded over their lack of religious faith.

Majority rules. That's America.
Actually, America is not a democracy, and it's not "majority rules" but rather "protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority." "Majority rules" is a silly myth we are told as children, and in practice leaves the door wide open for abuse, witch hunts, and tyranny. To the Founders, "democracy" was no better than mob rule.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
How is it trolling?? Would a similar sign on the part of a church be trolling?

If the goal was to increase membership, I wouldn't have used that phrasing. The goal to increase membership is to oppose specific legislation or promote the separation of church and state.

I dislike all the signs. Lowest common denominator form of communication.

As to the economics, you be right, but this got a lot of free publicity.

The publicity says: if a sign offends your faith, you can get it taken down.

Atheists are an oppressed minority in the US, trusted slightly less than sex offenders. If we organize, it shouldn't be under a banner of atheism. . . It has no creeds or beliefs. Any organization needs to be focused on stopping encroachment of religiously motivated law. . . Which is not an exclusively atheist position.