• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How in the world can ANYBODY think the Jews and Christians have the same god, that Jesus is messiah?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm literally just straight curious. Not only is this a belief, it's a common one despite the two deities being inherently contradictory in nature and Jesus fulfilling little to NONE of the messianic prophesy. Not to mention the whole idea of Christ contradicts Judaism, and Christianity has blatantly perverted the Hebrew texts. If the deities are suppose to be the same, as Christianity seems to believe, as in they worship the Hebrew god, isn't the religion absolute pure blasphemy?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm literally just straight curious. Not only is this a belief, it's a common one despite the two deities being inherently contradictory in nature and Jesus fulfilling little to NONE of the messianic prophesy. Not to mention the whole idea of Christ contradicts Judaism, and Christianity has blatantly perverted the Hebrew texts. If the deities are suppose to be the same, as Christianity seems to believe, as in they worship the Hebrew god, isn't the religion absolute pure blasphemy?
Sort of. True.. I guess.
Xians believe that Jesus did fulfill the messianic prophecy.
So..?
No.. it's a different religion.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member

"The 2 dieties being inherently contradictory in nature"

Explain please?
How has Christianity blatantly perverted the Hebrew texts?
"isn't the religion absolute pure blasphmey?" you ask.
Please tell me what about the Christian religion is blasphemy?
Perhaps you are just expressing emotions of some sort w/o anything to back up the emotional outcry?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Explain please?
How has Christianity blatantly perverted the Hebrew texts?

It excruciatingly obvious to most people. Starting with the biggy, trinitarianism. The god of Abraham and Moses was no polytheistic trinity. The 1st Commandment was very clear about inventing new gods.

This is the why Christianity is a heresy to Jewish people, even when they are too kind to say so.

Tom

Premium Member

Explain please?

For example, the Christian god is all about love, forgiveness, joy, light, and so on, the Hebrew God has no such duality. In Christianity the whole of power consists of God and Satan, even if to a (supposedly) unequal degree. In Judaism, God is the creator of both light and dark, forgiving and vengeful, loving yet severe. The very core of their nature differs, and therefore the must be different entities.

ow has Christianity blatantly perverted the Hebrew texts?

The greatest example of this is the conception of Satan between Judaism and Christianity. In Christianity, Satan is essentially The Devil - that is to say the two words mean the same thing. There is no Devil in Judaism, and "Satan" is a title (meaning "adversary") deignating and angel, who in fulfilling orders from God himself, sent to test man's faith.

Another would be the idea that Jesus is a demigod, which is definitely not an option in Judaism. Even the Messiah is of human parents.

A random guy came in, said he was god, twisted God's word to fit his own needs, said the "old" word of God was meaningless, and proceeded to call himself the Messiah. I can't imagine something much more blasphemous from a Jewish perspective.

Perhaps you are just expressing emotions of some sort w/o anything to back up the emotional outcry?

Seems pretty damn well reasoned to me. Maybe actually wait to have your questions answered before putting your foot in your mouth?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
When they claimed the Messiah was some dude not named Emanuel, didn't slay Leviathan, didn't raise the Kingdom of Israel into Heaven..

Do you mean 'departed' as in departed from judaism ?
Isn't that kind of the point behind calling it christianity rather than judaism ?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think they can be said to have the same God. It's just that the thinking evolves as mankind advances. Jesus attempted to provide an upgraded view of the same God the Jews had been following for centuries. The OP thinking wants to set/fix God with the views of religious writers at a set place in time. I'm saying thinking Jews and Christians evolve their understanding by considering modern thinking on the God concept. Why should their beliefs be set in stone by ancient scriptures.

Premium Member
I think they can be said to have the same God. It's just that the thinking evolves as mankind advances. Jesus attempted to provide an upgraded view of the same God the Jews had been following for centuries. The OP thinking wants to set/fix God with the views of religious writers at a set place in time. I'm saying thinking Jews and Christians evolve their understanding by considering modern thinking on the God concept. Why should their beliefs be set in stone by ancient scriptures.

We aren't discussing god concepts, we are discussing theoretical actual deities within specific religious contexts.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
We aren't discussing god concepts, we are discussing theoretical actual deities within specific religious contexts.
Yes, a deity that no finite mind can really grasp. So we think of the deity's attributes through concepts. And these concepts are imperfect and evolve.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Oh, I thought we were discussing the nature of how jesus is JHVH via the Spirit, or JHVH as Deity, as a manifestation of the Godhead. As opposed to 'Yahweh', of Jewish belief, without the 'man form' entity or manifestation; because in Judaism there is no man form Deity, there can't be, observed by people.

Thana

Lady

Well, I think a lot believe that Jesus is coming back to fulfill the prophecies, Which is consistent since many prophecies have been demonstrated to have a dual fulfillment, that is, fulfilled in part now and completely fulfilled in the future.

As to the perversion of Hebrew texts, How so? I believe all they've done is translate them, And yes a lot has gotten lost in translation but that's not intentional and I certainly wouldn't call it a perversion.

Perhaps to a Jew, Christianity may seem blasphemous but then, To a Christian, The Jews are once again rejecting God and following themselves. Either way, We don't have the best opinion of each other but yes, we do have the same God.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, I think a lot believe that Jesus is coming back to fulfill the prophecies, Which is consistent since many prophecies have been demonstrated to have a dual fulfillment, that is, fulfilled in part now and completely fulfilled in the future.

As to the perversion of Hebrew texts, How so? I believe all they've done is translate them, And yes a lot has gotten lost in translation but that's not intentional and I certainly wouldn't call it a perversion.

Perhaps to a Jew, Christianity may seem blasphemous but then, To a Christian, The Jews are once again rejecting God and following themselves. Either way, We don't have the best opinion of each other but yes, we do have the same God.
How can it be the 'same' god when our god manifests in human form, ie Jesus? Judaism says that isn't possible, not to mention the other differences. Clearly not the 'same' deity.

Thana

Lady
How can it be the 'same' god when our god manifests in human form, ie Jesus? Judaism says that isn't possible, not to mention the other differences. Clearly not the 'same' deity.

Because even Trinitarians don't really understand the mechanics of the Trinity, So I doubt the Jews understand it any better, let alone be able to deny it's possibility.
Besides, not all Christians are Trinitarians anyway.

Jesus was human. He is not human anymore.

Premium Member
Yes, a deity that no finite mind can really grasp. So we think of the deity's attributes through concepts. And these concepts are imperfect and evolve.

And that'd great, but the two deities are inherently different. This "evolution" would be the equivalent of humans suddenly coming out as gigantic, mothlike creatures.