• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How important is your religious or spiritual beliefs for your life?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
My spiritual beliefs is the most important in my life. I could not live without my spiritual beliefs. My spiritual beliefs help me so much. It give my life meaning. I need God in my life.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
My spiritual beliefs is the most important in my life. I could not live without my spiritual beliefs. My spiritual beliefs help me so much. It give my life meaning. I need God in my life.

I feel sad for you. :(

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Because our critical thinking is thrown out of the window concerning that which we regard as psychologically essential in our lives.

We can't afford to have that which works as a central pillar in our lives to be damaged. This is why ideally we should have multiple small pillars rather than a big one that is responsible for giving meaning to our lives.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

It’s too important for me perhaps

I’m struggling with the want to throw everything in my life away in pursuit of my religious ambitions…

thinking about giving religion and spirituality a break for my own health

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's a raft for me. A tool.

Once I get across, my religious practices and all philosophies associated will not be needed anymore and will be rendered useless and discarded.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Im the luckiest person alive. I found something so precious, so beautiful, so peaceful that no tongue can describe and when asked, my words are totally inadequate. There are no words, no language to thank God enough.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

By spiritual beliefs, you probably mean belief in spirits. My spiritual life is not based in any belief. It's a reaction to reality that manifests as a pleasant to euphoric feeling embodying a sense of connection and belonging, and associated with a sense of mystery, awe and gratitude. It's a feeling one has when being mindful of life. It's an intuition, like when recognizing something as beautiful, funny, or precious - not a belief.

I reject material philosophies, but not "critical thinking".

Critical thinking is rooted in empiricism - the evaluation of evidence using fallacy-free reasoning. Philosophies don't get any more materialistic than that. The thinking based in a god belief is not critical. It is faith-based. There is no sound argument that ends, "therefore, God"

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Does not apply.

My spiritual experience is quite important though.
But more then likely, I mean something very different from what your average Joe theist means by it.

In a very real sense, my spirutal experience is how I keep my sanity in a lot of ways.

muhammad_isa

Critical thinking is rooted in empiricism - the evaluation of evidence using fallacy-free reasoning. Philosophies don't get any more materialistic than that. The thinking based in a god belief is not critical. It is faith-based. There is no sound argument that ends, "therefore, God"

Critical thinking is the analysis of available facts, evidence, observations, and arguments to form a judgment.
Critical thinking - Wikipedia

One does not have to be a materialist to employ critical thinking.
If you prefer to answer philosophical questions as "don't know", that is your prerogative.
Some of us form different judgments.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

My life is not based on beliefs. I go by knowledge and experiences and insights gained thereof. Also I do not distinguish between spiritual and secular. Washing dishes can be a spiritual exercise and sitting meditation or taking part in a worship ceremony can be an analytical exercise for me.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My religion is my life. Doesn't get much more important than that.

When limited just to the beliefs associated with my way of life, though? Honestly, a lot less important. What I believe about things is secondary to what I feel and what I do and what I experience.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
My spiritual understandings are my life. They inform and determine what I do and what I'm striving to become..