• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Feel About Atheists

PureX

Veteran Member
Reading his works, much like having read the bible, merely reaffirmed my atheism.
As every rebuttal on this thread has only served to affirm my opinion that atheism is nothing more than a pointless bias. But that doesn't relate to the value or complexity of mythology. Nor of faith.

I disagree with much of what you just posted. I answered your question that I can agree that the lack of belief of a Deity is reasonable, why did you not answer my question if you can agree that the belief in a Deity is also reasonable. And as far as evolution , fossils, and is coming from apes...none of that is fact. The more scientists discover the more the idea of evolution is being seen as having many flaws and inconsistencies. And I am speaking completely in the view of scientific study and reasoning. Darwin himself admitted to problems of one species actually becoming another KIND of species. Species variation seems reasonable but not evolution in many minds of scientists who have no regards for an Intelligent Designer or not. Fossils do not show one species becoming another KIND of species There are many inconsistencies and flaws in the fossil record as holding the proof of evolution . Evolution is not even a theory because it cannot be tested. So a definite conclusion cannot be drawn. Many ideas in science change as new discoveries and research is made. You need to really study this more. Science is increasingly pointing to an Intelligent Designer based solely on pure scientific study. Scientists that once thought the idea of evolution to be fact have completely changed their views based on their life long intense study of it. You would have to research this for yourself as it is very intricate scientific study and discovery. You might be amazed at what you will find out. One founder of the DNA molecule has come to a conclusion of the probability of an Intelligent Designer based on the findings of his work with DNA. And there are many. many examples of scientists coming to this probability based on many different areas is science. It's there if you are willing to look.....And even if evolution was somehow proven to be true, that does not explain how we came into existence. That would only explain how species evolved from nonliving matter ( which is another concept that I find not very probable, but still possible ). A Creator still could exist who designed evolution. But evolution doesn't explain where we came from originally, the First Cause of existence. How would you explain how everything just came into existence out of nothing ? Even if you believed in the Big Bang hypothesis, how did that come into existence ? What existed prior to that? If you believe there was nothing before that and then somehow matter came into being, that requires as much faith as believing in the concept of the possibility that a God existed before that who created everything No one knows that , of course.

Reading his works, much like having read the bible, merely reaffirmed my atheism.
Purex, you label yourself an atheist. What exactly is an atheist in terms of your beliefs on the possibility of the existence of a Creator/Intelligent Designer/God ? I don't come to these forums to rebuttal or argue with anyone on this issue. All beliefs are possibilities in this matter. I only state my beliefs and answer other's questions that they may have for me. Is an atheist just a disbelief in a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator ? I can completely understand that thought process. But you don't try to deny the possibility of a Creator, do you ? This is the only flaw I find in what I have known about some atheists. Because neither you nor I can know this, we only believe or don't believe in this. You would agree wit that, would you not ?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Purex, you label yourself an atheist. What exactly is an atheist in terms of your beliefs on the possibility of the existence of a Creator/Intelligent Designer/God ? I don't come to these forums to rebuttal or argue with anyone on this issue. All beliefs are possibilities in this matter. I only state my beliefs and answer other's questions that they may have for me. Is an atheist just a disbelief in a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator ? I can completely understand that thought process. But you don't try to deny the possibility of a Creator, do you ? This is the only flaw I find in what I have known about some atheists. Because neither you nor I can know this, we only believe or don't believe in this. You would agree wit that, would you not ?

You quoted me, but did not refer to me by my name. Are you misquoting or.....?

Purex, you label yourself an atheist. What exactly is an atheist in terms of your beliefs on the possibility of the existence of a Creator/Intelligent Designer/God ? I don't come to these forums to rebuttal or argue with anyone on this issue. All beliefs are possibilities in this matter. I only state my beliefs and answer other's questions that they may have for me. Is an atheist just a disbelief in a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator ? I can completely understand that thought process. But you don't try to deny the possibility of a Creator, do you ? This is the only flaw I find in what I have known about some atheists. Because neither you nor I can know this, we only believe or don't believe in this. You would agree with that, would you not ? And does an atheist think we came into existence by mere chance or does he not even find it reasonable to contemplate how we came into existence. I'm interested in the thought process of an atheist. I don't want to put all atheists into one category. So I would appreciate if you could convey your beliefs without disregarding the beliefs of creationists in doing so.

DavidFirth

Most atheists are smarter than the average bear. However, the average bear is only a few IQ points above a microbe. Research proves this test conducted over millions of years of simulated tests involving cosmic microwave background radiation, a good back rub and about 12 margaritas is absolutely 100% correct with a margin of error of only 26 millions years either way. Endorsed by Charles Darwin, Carl Sagan and 12 other drunk atheists.

;)

PureX...You are an atheist , correct ? Am I misreading something here ? If so, then can you answer ? I'm not argumentative, I just want to understand your view point. Thanks.

As every rebuttal on this thread has only served to affirm my opinion that atheism is nothing more than a pointless bias. But that doesn't relate to the value or complexity of mythology. Nor of faith.
Purex, you label yourself an atheist. What exactly is an atheist in terms of your beliefs on the possibility of the existence of a Creator/Intelligent Designer/God ? I don't come to these forums to rebuttal or argue with anyone on this issue. All beliefs are possibilities in this matter. I only state my beliefs and answer other's questions that they may have for me. Is an atheist just a disbelief in a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator ? I can completely understand that thought process. But you don't try to deny the possibility of a Creator, do you ? This is the only flaw I find in what I have known about some atheists. Because neither you nor I can know this, we only believe or don't believe in this. You would agree with that, would you not ? And does an atheist think we came into existence by mere chance or does he not even find it reasonable to contemplate how we came into existence. I'm interested in the thought process of an atheist. I don't want to put all atheists into one category. So I would appreciate if you could convey your beliefs without disregarding the beliefs of creationists in doing so.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
How does withholding belief due to lack of evidence show bias? Isn't withholding belief in anything until sufficient evidence is presented the most reasonable way to life life?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How does withholding belief due to lack of evidence show bias?
It is a bias.....a pretty good one.
Analogy time....
I'm biased to not believe breaking news reports regarding grisly events.
Experience shows that they're quite unreliable.

ArtieE

An atheist is just a person who doesn't believe in the existence of gods. Most atheists are weak atheists. People who simply have found no reason to start believing in any gods and live their lives without such a belief. Some atheists are strong atheists. They actively believe gods don't exist.

Yes, we *do* know how humans came to exist: we evolved from other great apes. We have the fossils.

And the question is largely solved. But it isn't solved through faith. it is solved by observation and testing of our ideas.

Sorry, but you don't get to make up meanings for words as you choose. Truth is, by definition, something that doesn't depend on the individual. That is what makes it truth instead of opinion.

I can realize that you are misusing a word. And that you have definite *opinions*.

OK, your choice. There are so many different possibilities, that if we consider ALL of them seriously or even equally valid, then we will be sloshing through muck most of the time. Yes, mere possibility is a very low bar. Imagination is not the same as truth.
Mere possibility is a low bar in your opinion, that does not make it so. Einstein said .." Imagination is more important than knowledge." And knowledge is usually synonymous with truth. So the thoughts of one of the most brilliant scientific minds is low bar to you ? And he is just one person out of countless who believe in the power and value of imagination and possibility. So you are so egotistical and sure that all of us who think this are believing in something low bar ? I find that to be extremely ignorant, although I acknowledge your right to believe what you wish. And I don't make up the meaning of the definition of truth, but I can say that what is true for one is not always true for another. That's not changing the meaning. There are different types of truths. There are scientific truths and then there are non tangible truths. It is the latter which I speak of. Is it true that a water molecule is composed of 2 Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen..yes. Is it rue that God is real ? Well, to some that is truth. Treating others as you would want to be treated is a truth to many people. But some people may not find that to be true. Is it true that having lots of money will make you happier ? To some that will be true, to others it is not. And there are many examples of these kinds of truths. Meanings of words aren't always as definitive as you may think. There are other variables involved and people are very different in their interpretations and thinking on various truths.

Last edited:
An atheist is just a person who doesn't believe in the existence of gods. Most atheists are weak atheists. People who simply have found no reason to start believing in any gods and live their lives without such a belief. Some atheists are strong atheists. They actively believe gods don't exist.
I totally accept that type of atheistic thinking. What I don't accept is those who claim that there is no possibility of a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator. I , personally , believe in the possibility and even the probability of an Intelligent Designer, but I'm not so ignorant as to claim there isn't a possibility that one may not exist. So what type of atheists believe that "God " doesn't exist but believes in the possibility that "God" may exist but they just don't personally believe that ?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Mere possibility is a low bar in your opinion, that does not make it so. Einstein said .." Imagination is more important than knowledge." And knowledge is usually synonymous with truth. So the thoughts of one of the most brilliant scientific minds is low bar to you ?
Imagination is not the same as knowledge. it is important to have an imagination to be able to come up with the creative concepts that can then be tested. THAT is why imagination is more important than knowledge: it is what leads to new insights that can be tested. But, that doesn't mean that imagination is the same as knowledge or that knowledge is unimportant. And it certainly does not mean imagination is the same as truth.

Once again, to find the ideas that can then be tested requires imagination. So imagination is the basic material that allows us to advance. But it still needs to be tested and must be approached with skepticism.

And he is just one person out of countless who believe in the power and value of imagination and possibility. So you are so egotistical and sure that all of us who think this are believing in something low bar ? I find that to be extremely ignorant, although I acknowledge your right to believe what you wish. And I don't make up the meaning of the definition of truth, but I can say that what is true for one is not always true for another. That's not changing the meaning. There are different types of truths. There are scientific truths and then there are non tangible truths. It is the latter which I speak of. Is it true that a water molecule is composed of 2 Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen..yes. Is it rue that God is real ? Well, to some is truth. Treating others as you would want to be treated is a truth to many people. But some people may not find that to be true. Is it true that having lots of money will make you happier ? To some that will be true, to others it is not. And there are many examples of these kinds of truths. Meanings of words aren't always as definitive as you may think. There are other variables involved and people are very different in their interpretations and thinking on various truths.

Treating others as you would yourself isn't a 'truth' at all: it is a rule of conduct. Now, what *may* have a truth value is the statement that 'we should treat others as we do ourselves'. Do you see the difference?

ArtieE

I totally accept that type of atheistic thinking. What I don't accept is those who claim that there is no possibility of a God/Intelligent Designer/Creator.
1. That's not "atheistic thinking". That is "gnostic atheist" thinking.
2. And a "gnostic atheist" only says there's no possibility of the existence of a god. He says nothing about the existence of any Intelligent Designer or Creator.
I , personally , believe in the possibility and even the probability of an Intelligent Designer
And also some atheists believe in an Intelligent Designer.
but I'm not so ignorant as to claim there isn't a possibility that one may not exist. So what type of atheists believe that "God " doesn't exist
Strong atheist.
but believes in the possibility that "God" may exist but they just don't personally believe that ?
Agnostic atheist. Doesn't know and doesn't believe but doesn't rule out the possibility that "God " may exist.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree with much of what you just posted. I answered your question that I can agree that the lack of belief of a Deity is reasonable, why did you not answer my question if you can agree that the belief in a Deity is also reasonable. And as far as evolution , fossils, and humans coming from apes...none of that is fact.
Yes, actually, it is. There is no scientific question about this.

The more scientists discover the more the idea of evolution is being seen as having many flaws and inconsistencies. And I am speaking completely in the view of scientific study and reasoning. Darwin himself admitted to problems of one species actually becoming another KIND of species. Species variation seems reasonable but not evolution in many minds of scientists who have no regards for an Intelligent Designer or not. Fossils do not show one species becoming another KIND of species There are many inconsistencies and flaws in the fossil record as holding the proof of evolution . Evolution is not even a theory because it cannot be tested. So a definite conclusion cannot be drawn.

I see you have drunk the creationist koolaide. I would suggest you go look at *actual* scientific journals and actual textbooks rather than the popularizations promoted by those with a religious axe to grind.

Many ideas in science change as new discoveries and research is made. You need to really study this more. Science is increasingly pointing to an Intelligent Designer based solely on pure scientific study.
Simply false.

Scientists that once thought the idea of evolution to be fact have completely changed their views based on their life long intense study of it. You would have to research this for yourself as it is very intricate scientific study and discovery. You might be amazed at what you will find out. One founder of the DNA molecule has come to a conclusion of the probability of an Intelligent Designer based on the findings of his work with DNA. And there are many. many examples of scientists coming to this probability based on many different areas is science. It's there if you are willing to look.

Yes, the truth is out there. But not in creationist literature (or ID, which is the same thing).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The process and the intent are not that mysterious (nor foolish). What you're referring to is mythology, and it's a well documented subject these days, thanks to people like Joseph Campbell. Read on of his books on the subject and you will discover a whole new world of human ideals and expression that you previously thought were just 'fairy tales and fantasies'. Once you understand them, you will see that they are far from it.

Fine. As long as you recognize it as *myth*, there is no problem. Myths are not true.

Yes, actually, it is. There is no scientific question about this.

I see you have drunk the creationist koolaide. I would suggest you go look at *actual* scientific journals and actual textbooks rather than the popularizations promoted by those with a religious axe to grind.

Simply false.

Yes, the truth is out there. But not in creationist literature (or ID, which is the same thing).
But it isn't false. YOU need to read more into the scientific journals out there. The journals and textbooks I speak of have nothing to do with religion whatsoever. This is a hang up of yours. Religion is not mentioned once in the journals and books I have read. Why are the ones you read the ones with all the definitive answers ? Have you read and studied all of them ? I doubt it. These are scientists who are not religious at all. They are serious, brilliant scientists, much more knowledgeable than either of us on the subject who come to these conclusions, through absolute scientific findings. They have no religious axe to grind because they are not religious. Their findings lead them to believe in the probability of an Intelligent Designer. That is not religion. You cannot say that their findings are false . They may be absolutely correct. You just don't want to research or consider these findings because you are afraid that your so called knowledge or truth or views may be challenged. A Creationist does bot have to have any belief or connection to any religion. Do you know what Creationism or Intelligent Design is ? It has nothing to do with religion. If your mind is open enough and your ego small enough you can do the research. Or do you claim to have absolute knowledge on the subject ? What is an actual scientific journal ? I have read many actual scientific journals written by genius scientists who support these claims. I doubt you are more intelligent and knowledgeable than them. And just because something is written in a textbook and accepted as true by many doesn't make it all necessarily true. Do you know how many textbooks in our school system are flawed ? You can do the research and decide for yourself. But many much smarter than you can offer complex scientific material and evidence to support their findings. Perhaps you are the one who believes in popularizations of your own liking. Science is always changing. What was true yesterday in science isn't always true tomorrow. There will be scientific facts which we claim today as probable that will be found out to be completely different in the future. If you knew anything about quantum physics you would know this. I find it ignorant of you to be so dismissive of what you have no certain knowledge of. How could you disregard or invalidate the findings of decades of intense scientific research that may challenge some of our preconceived notions about certain facts ? This is the job of science...to challenge accepted beliefs in the face of new discoveries and theories to further understanding and knowledge. That is what these scientists are doing. How do yo know what future research and discovery may reveal ? I suggest you take your own advice and do spend some time doing some research. I read all types of different scientific journals , by those believe in the possibility and probability of Intelligent Design to those who don't believe in Intelligent Design and everything in between. That is how you make an intelligent , informed decision on something. It seems like you would not read journals and books written by scientists who strongly believe in ID in the name of science because you have your mind made up about certain claims and are afraid of your current views being challenged. Possibilities contrary to what your closed mind holds really bothers you doesn't it ?

Last edited: