• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I deal with no afterlife

The Transcended Omniverse

If I am special and have value as a human being, that creates a major conflict for me. This conflict would be that for such a special and valuable person as myself to just forever rot and decay away would be the greatest insult to my value and specialness as a human being.

It would be utterly demeaning of my value and specialness. It would be just tossing me away like trash. So in order to resolve this conflict, I would have to deem myself as nothing special at all and of no value. However, if I am immortal and do get to live forever in heaven, then there would be no conflict.

So, in short, if there is a heaven for me to live forever in, then I would deem myself as valuable and special since that conflict would not exist. But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of **** who might as well just die anyway.

This would also apply to the relationship I have with my own family and how I view other human beings.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If I am special and have value as a human being, that creates a major conflict for me. This conflict would be that for such a special and valuable person as myself to just forever rot and decay away would be the greatest insult to my value and specialness as a human being.

It would be utterly demeaning of my value and specialness. It would be just tossing me away like trash. So in order to resolve this conflict, I would have to deem myself as nothing special at all and of no value. However, if I am immortal and do get to live forever in heaven, then there would be no conflict.

So, in short, if there is a heaven for me to live forever in, then I would deem myself as valuable and special since that conflict would not exist. But if there is no afterlife, then I would just view myself as a piece of **** who might as well just die anyway.

This would also apply to the relationship I have with my own family and how I view other human beings.
^ sloppy bordering on incoherent

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
@MattMVS7

Well, in my belief system our core is spirit that is blissful and eternal and this spirit is the core of all living beings. Hence, we have the innate drive to both survive and be happy as this is our true nature. That is what drives all sentient beings. An afterlife wish is part of the survival and happiness drive that you are talking about.

As you know I objectively believe in the afterlife from the paranormal evidence.

interminable

منتظر

Without hereafter I can't see any reason to live here
I wonder why atheists don't commit suicide???
Why they tolerate all these difficulties and problems???
To achieve which goal???

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Interesting that you forgot the mention the "immortal and going to live forever in hell"...
One wonders how that possibility strikes your ego?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Well then believe in heaven, I don't see any negative for you.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If you need to believe there is afterlife to be happy, then believe in one, but I am already happy with this one, I don't care about another one, why wast my life on a dream that may never happen.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"How I deal with no afterlife?"
The fun is that you do not have to deal with it. It takes care of itself. Just don't harm others by action or word or even think of that (manasa, vacha, karmana).

Thief

Rogue Theologian

one very important item of conflict to deal with....

you're special....only if God and heaven agree

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the same way it will do unto yours....

you end up with others.....who think and feel as you do

ENTP Logician

Advocate for Reason

Your reasoning is flawed.

You are your consciousness and you are gone without a trace but the things you have done will continue to effect humanity in either a subtle or large way.

The Transcended Omniverse

Your reasoning is flawed.

You are your consciousness and you are gone without a trace but the things you have done will continue to effect humanity in either a subtle or large way.
It's not about that, it is about me as a person here. To just have me decay and forever rot away is like just tossing me away like trash and that is demeaning. So it doesn't matter what legacy I leave behind for others, it is still demeaning of my value as a human being to have no eternal blissful afterlife for me.

ENTP Logician

Advocate for Reason
It's not about that, it is about me as a person here. To just have me decay and forever rot away is like just tossing me away like trash and that is demeaning. So it doesn't matter what legacy I leave behind for others, it is still demeaning of my value as a human being to have no eternal blissful afterlife for me.

As I said. You are not there when you are dead.

You are your consciousness if you had a finger cut off are you saying it is just as much you as the rest of your body?