• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How I Became Amoral

Electra

To start i found a great video explaining views on being amoral

My journey into leaning towards becoming amoral started ~4 years ago. It has really taken a lot of time to mull over!!

I will try to keep this short and succinct.

At a point where i would say i would of said i was a 'good' person. I was overly eager to make others happy and make a change in peoples life.

I was asked "what's the difference between good and evil?" - i could not answer in a neat way.
I knew deep down that the answer was 'perception' or better yet, there is no difference between good and evil.
I was at a point in my life were i was trying to process a major part of my life. Every single person in my life had lied to me, many people had betrayed my trust. A huge amount of people had worked against my privacy, life quality and freedom. This whole saga is hard to explain. To put it simply a lot of people had done a lot of 'bad' things to me.
It took a lot of time to dig deep and feel that, yes a lot of people went against me and in a moralistic point of view they have done 'bad' a lot of them 'evil' in persona.
In a amoral view i can say, yes, these people did effect me but i am going to not label them bad or good.
I am going to realize how i can move foreward in the best effective way for myself. To me, holding these people up to a moralistic standard of my own creating weighed me down.

Anybody else have stories?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I always found that gray area of neutrality to be the best grounds to dwell in. Not really good. Not really evil.

I find morality In practice to be that of a sliding scale wereas one man's evil is another man's good in terms of societal stability and harmonizing.

Like beauty, morality from what I can determine is in the eyes of its beholder.

Electra

I always found that gray area of neutrality to be the best grounds to dwell in. Not really good. Not really evil.

I find morality In practice to be that of a sliding scale wereas one man's evil is another man's good in terms of societal stability and harmonizing.

Like beauty, morality from what I can determine is in the eyes of its beholder.

It's funny because i have gotten to a point of being able to see others through that lens. Myself, on the other hand, that is another stumbling step haha.

I still have a strong urge to be good and to be seen as good. Although i know i am seen as 'bad' to many as i am an amoral, drug taker in open poly relationships (ect) . Haha. I still justify these as 'good' to my self.

And the growth continues ^^

Rational Agnostic

My journey into leaning towards becoming amoral started ~4 years ago. It has really taken a lot of time to mull over!!

At a point where i would say i would of said i was a 'good' person. I was overly eager to make others happy and make a change in peoples life.

I was asked "what's the difference between good and evil?" - i could not answer in a neat way.
I knew deep down that the answer was 'perception' or better yet, there is no difference between good and evil.
I was at a point in my life were i was trying to process a major part of my life. Every single person in my life had lied to me, many people had betrayed my trust. A huge amount of people had worked against my privacy, life quality and freedom. This whole saga is hard to explain. To put it simply a lot of people had done a lot of 'bad' things to me.
It took a lot of time to dig deep and feel that, yes a lot of people went against me and in a moralistic point of view they have done 'bad' a lot of them 'evil' in persona.
In a amoral view i can say, yes, these people did effect me but i am going to not label them bad or good.
I am going to realize how i can move foreward in the best effective way for myself. To me, holding these people up to a moralistic standard of my own creating weighed me down.

Since I started reading Nietzsche I have actually started to fully appreciate and adopt the idea that morality is a man-made construct.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

I have a similar back story of lies and betrayal.

I think that there are good and evil people. But they are both a very small % (less than 1%) of the population. 99% of everyone lies somewhere in the grey between, most of these (us) perform good and evil deeds on a daily basis. That grey area mostly consist of selfish people. The acts they perform may appear to be evil to me, but good to you (the reader) for example, this is where your "perception" problem comes from.

While the act could be considered good or evil, it's actually neither, because it was done for selfish reasons meant to benefit the person that performed it. They didn't do it to do an evil or good act. They did it for themselves. We view that as evil usually, when the act performed come at the cost of someone else. We view that act as good usually, if it benefits someone else, even though it benefitted the performer as well.

Basically it's all bulls**t. Other than your Hitlers, Stalins, Charles Mansons, Jeffrey Dahmers, etc. The world is just a bunch of selfish a-holes all jockeying for positions of power over other people. This goes for world leaders all the way down to your nosey neighbor across the street. You are not a person, you have no value other than you are a tool to be used to meet someone else selfish desire(s).

Sorry to go all Ayn Rand(ish) on ya but yeah that's my opinion anyways.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's a very difficult situation you're in. I think that each person in your circumstances will react a little differently. What ever you choose to do to help relieve the pain of betrayal ( without causing pain to others ) i think is understandable. Being betrayed, In my opinion, is probably one of the worst most painful experiences I can imagine.

Finding like minded people, who share your values and do not judge your behavior maybe will help to prevent future problems. Finding people who have been betrayed and and are successfully coping with it may be helpful as well.

Electra

I have a similar back story of lies and betrayal.

I think that there are good and evil people. But they are both a very small % (less than 1%) of the population. 99% of everyone lies somewhere in the grey between, most of these (us) perform good and evil deeds on a daily basis. That grey area mostly consist of selfish people. The acts they perform may appear to be evil to me, but good to you (the reader) for example, this is where your "perception" problem comes from.

While the act could be considered good or evil, it's actually neither, because it was done for selfish reasons meant to benefit the person that performed it. They didn't do it to do an evil or good act. They did it for themselves. We view that as evil usually, when the act performed come at the cost of someone else. We view that act as good usually, if it benefits someone else, even though it benefitted the performer as well.

Basically it's all bulls**t. Other than your Hitlers, Stalins, Charles Mansons, Jeffrey Dahmers, etc. The world is just a bunch of selfish a-holes all jockeying for positions of power over other people. This goes for world leaders all the way down to your nosey neighbor across the street. You are not a person, you have no value other than you are a tool to be used to meet someone else selfish desire(s).

Sorry to go all Ayn Rand(ish) on ya but yeah that's my opinion anyways.

Yes and yes.

The fact is that viewing looking after your self first as evil and looking after others as good seems pretty warped?

As you say many of people are 'selfish' but are they really looking after themself? Most of the time no. They are stuck in a weird societal trance to act a certain way.

Hmm...

All good, i like it.

Last edited:

Electra

It's a very difficult situation you're in. I think that each person in your circumstances will react a little differently. What ever you choose to do to help relieve the pain of betrayal ( without causing pain to others ) i think is understandable. Being betrayed, In my opinion, is probably one of the worst most painful experiences I can imagine.

Finding like minded people, who share your values and do not judge your behavior maybe will help to prevent future problems. Finding people who have been betrayed and and are successfully coping with it may be helpful as well.

Thank you. This comment made me really happy.
I am very much so looking foreward to being around people who hold me as a person.

iam1me

Sounds like you never had an understanding of good vs evil to begin with.

Is rape evil, or merely something we falsely perceive as evil? Is torturing and killing innocent people for fun evil, or merely something we perceive as evil? How about letting someone starve to death when you could easily step in and provide them some food, but won't because you are too greedy?

No - evil is definitely real.