• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How have rabbis been important in the development of Judaism?

TheoDixon

Hey folks, I have an essay entitled 'In what ways did the Rabbis play a critical role in the development of Judaism?'. If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be helpful, I'm aware of the Mishnah and Talmud however don't have much knowledge of how either of these changed from oral to written text. Is there anything other than the previously stated that I could talk about as well? Thanks

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey folks, I have an essay entitled 'In what ways did the Rabbis play a critical role in the development of Judaism?'. If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be helpful, I'm aware of the Mishnah and Talmud however don't have much knowledge of how either of these changed from oral to written text. Is there anything other than the previously stated that I could talk about as well? Thanks
Mishna | Jewish laws looks helpful

Tumah

Veteran Member
Around 200 CE, Rabbi Judah the Prince gathered traditional opinions on pretty much all areas of Jewish Law from across Israel and compiled them into the very terse Mishnah. The reason why he did this, was because things were pretty bad in Israel and people were running. After Hadrian died, he took the opportunity that the lull in action gave him and started collecting these opinions and traditions. But he kept it as concise as possible so that there would still be an oral component - it basically acts as a mnemonic to remember the ideas, but without a teacher to expound on it, it's difficult to get the full impact. Two of his students, Rabbi Hiyya bar Abba and Rabbi Hoshaya compiled another slightly more lengthy text as a background for the Mishnah.

The Talmud is composed of two parts, the Mishnah and the Gemara. There are two Talmuds - or rather, two Gemaras, one compiled in Israel (Galilee despite it's name being Jerusalem Talmud) around 350 CE and one in Babylon around 500 CE. The collections this time are compilations of discussions, elucidations and sayings from the study halls of their respective locations over the past 150 and 300 years respectively, arranged under the Mishnah used to start the discussion.

Aside from the above, the Rabbis were instrumental in transitioning the nation from being Temple-centric, to the more portable synagogue-centric life we use today. They standardized formal prayer services and enacted a number of measures that would ensure we would retain our relationship to the Temple in an era where we wouldn't have it.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
Around 200 CE, Rabbi Judah the Prince gathered traditional opinions on pretty much all areas of Jewish Law from across Israel and compiled them into the very terse Mishnah. The reason why he did this, was because things were pretty bad in Israel and people were running. After Hadrian died, he took the opportunity that the lull in action gave him and started collecting these opinions and traditions. But he kept it as concise as possible so that there would still be an oral component - it basically acts as a mnemonic to remember the ideas, but without a teacher to expound on it, it's difficult to get the full impact. Two of his students, Rabbi Hiyya bar Abba and Rabbi Hoshaya compiled another slightly more lengthy text as a background for the Mishnah.

The Talmud is composed of two parts, the Mishnah and the Gemara. There are two Talmuds - or rather, two Gemaras, one compiled in Israel (Galilee despite it's name being Jerusalem Talmud) around 350 CE and one in Babylon around 500 CE. The collections this time are compilations of discussions, elucidations and sayings from the study halls of their respective locations over the past 150 and 300 years respectively, arranged under the Mishnah used to start the discussion.

Aside from the above, the Rabbis were instrumental in transitioning the nation from being Temple-centric, to the more portable synagogue-centric life we use today. They standardized formal prayer services and enacted a number of measures that would ensure we would retain our relationship to the Temple in an era where we wouldn't have it.

I find this really interesting. Thanks.

"The Talmud is composed of two parts, the Mishnah and the Gemara. There are two Talmuds - or rather, two Gemaras, one compiled in Israel (Galilee despite it's name being Jerusalem Talmud) around 350 CE and one in Babylon around 500 CE. The collections this time are compilations of discussions, elucidations and sayings from the study halls of their respective locations over the past 150 and 300 years respectively, arranged under the Mishnah used to start the discussion."

TheoDixon

Cheers guys, if anyone has any recommended reading about then I'd appreciate that for sure. My library has quite a large collection of books on Judaism so I should be able to find most suggestions.

sooda

Veteran Member
Cheers guys, if anyone has any recommended reading about then I'd appreciate that for sure. My library has quite a large collection of books on Judaism so I should be able to find most suggestions.

Can you discuss why the Jerusalem Talmud ( or Gemara) or came from Galilee in 350 AD?

sooda

Veteran Member
I could look into why the shift occurred, it sounds like I should be able to reach the 2000 word count as discussion of the Talmud could be quite extensive.

I am curious as to what the political environment was that would cause them to be in Galilee in 350 AD.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I am curious as to what the political environment was that would cause them to be in Galilee in 350 AD.
Shortly before the destruction of the Temple, the Sanhedrin moved out of it's place in the Chamber of Hewn Stone. Following the desturtion of the Temple and the Jewish-Roman wars, it migrated to the Galilee and remained in that area until it's dissolution. The Sanhedrin represented the seat of authority in Judaism, so that's where the major study centers were. There was never an opportunity to return to Jerusalem because Hadrian forbade Jews to enter on pain of death except for once a year. That remained the status quo for Jews (Constantine allowed Christians to enter in his time) until I believe the Muslim took the city.

sooda

Veteran Member
Shortly before the destruction of the Temple, the Sanhedrin moved out of it's place in the Chamber of Hewn Stone. Following the desturtion of the Temple and the Jewish-Roman wars, it migrated to the Galilee and remained in that area until it's dissolution. The Sanhedrin represented the seat of authority in Judaism, so that's where the major study centers were. There was never an opportunity to return to Jerusalem because Hadrian forbade Jews to enter on pain of death except for once a year. That remained the status quo for Jews (Constantine allowed Christians to enter in his time) until I believe the Muslim took the city.

I think you're right.. Jews stayed away from Jerusalem until the Treaty of Omar. Now it makes sense to me.. Thanks.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
This is really a complex topic, and one could write an entire book on the subject. I'm glad you are getting ideas from a lot of people: maybe you'll get a well rounded view. I hope the importance of the Rabbis to the formation of Oral Torah will be brought up, since this is the area where the Rabbis have been of the greatest importance, going all the way back to the appointing of the seventy elders by Moses.

I would like to add just a few tidbits that I was taught by my own Rabbis. These things happened during the Babylonian Captivity, when Jews did not have a Temple for sacrifice.

The Rabbis, with the help of Hosea, replaced the sacrifices with prayers. When we Jews returned from Captivity, and the Temple was rebuilt, the Pharisees didn't want to lose this direct connection with God. Indeed it was their intent to make Judaism accessible to every Jewish man. They opened the synagogues, which came to be in every town, for study of Torah and for communal prayer. They opened Jewish schools for boys so that every Jewish boy had a chance to learn reading and writing in Hebrew and a chance to learn Jewish law, preparing him to be an observant adult.

All the necessary things were already in place for the survival of Judaism when the Temple was destroyed again in 70 CE. Oral Torah was ALREADY developed (although it was written down a bit later). The synagogues were ALREADY there. The Rabbis ALREADY had authority.

Let me remind you that you need to find REAL sources for your essay that say these things, and cite your sources. Saying, "I read some nice lady on this internet saying this stuff" doesn't impress professors. :) I'm sure that plagiarizing, a form of theft, isn't something you are considering. :)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator

The Rabbis are the cool dudes !!