• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How has the age of Trump affected your views on religion?

Whether you are an atheist like me, or Christian, or anything else, American or not: how has Trump’s rise affected your views on religion?

Not just your views, but how you perceive others’ views, the roles religion plays in our personal and political lives, etc?

Speaking for myself: Trump’s rise has brought into sharp relief for me how important it is to have some kind of moral compass. In the past I have disagreed with conservative Christians for example, but I never doubted that we shared, for the most part, common values like the rule of law.

I am sheepishly embarrassed that Trump was raised Presbyterian (like me) and has come to disregard religion entirely (like me) - no matter how he lies to the contrary. I am astonished to find myself, as an atheist, wishing that Donald Trump was in fact a Christian, because almost any system of values and standards of behavior would be an improvement over nihilistic narcissism and bigotry fed to cheering crowds.

I am equally astonished at how little any of that matters, apparently, to about 40% of the country - most of it not only Christian, but given to pretenses that Christianity plays a prominent part of their social lives and political inclinations.

I always wondered how vast groups of Christians throughout history were able to keep their religious faith in a completely separate mental bucket, in order to go on murdering each other as well as non-Christians, in the name of things like nationalism, or Arianism, or a strong-man leader they cling to.

For the first time in my life, it feels like I have caught a glimpse of how this can happen. It reminds me of the massive, strange rock formations that you see in the Rockies - the unlikely arches and the massive boulders set precariously on hilltops. It looks like something that is at odds with itself, something that shouldn’t be possible; and if it ever was possible, only in some strange, ancient past.

I am not intentionally disparaging Christianity, or Christians, here. To the contrary, I appreciate now more than ever how preferable most religion is in America to the shameless cult of personality that is the Trump Tribe.

sealchan

Whether you are an atheist like me, or Christian, or anything else, American or not: how has Trump’s rise affected your views on religion?

Not just your views, but how you perceive others’ views, the roles religion plays in our personal and political lives, etc?

Speaking for myself: Trump’s rise has brought into sharp relief for me how important it is to have some kind of moral compass. In the past I have disagreed with conservative Christians for example, but I never doubted that we shared, for the most part, common values like the rule of law.

I am sheepishly embarrassed that Trump was raised Presbyterian (like me) and has come to disregard religion entirely (like me) - no matter how he lies to the contrary. I am astonished to find myself, as an atheist, wishing that Donald Trump was in fact a Christian, because almost any system of values and standards of behavior would be an improvement over nihilistic narcissism and bigotry fed to cheering crowds.

I am equally astonished at how little any of that matters, apparently, to about 40% of the country - most of it not only Christian, but given to pretenses that Christianity plays a prominent part of their social lives and political inclinations.

I always wondered how vast groups of Christians throughout history were able to keep their religious faith in a completely separate mental bucket, in order to go on murdering each other as well as non-Christians, in the name of things like nationalism, or Arianism, or a strong-man leader they cling to.

For the first time in my life, it feels like I have caught a glimpse of how this can happen. It reminds me of the massive, strange rock formations that you see in the Rockies - the unlikely arches and the massive boulders set precariously on hilltops. It looks like something that is at odds with itself, something that shouldn’t be possible; and if it ever was possible, only in some strange, ancient past.

I am not intentionally disparaging Christianity, or Christians, here. To the contrary, I appreciate now more than ever how preferable most religion is in America to the shameless cult of personality that is the Trump Tribe.

There is, in religion, so much more than what so many believers demonstrate and what non-believers can see.

Something tells me that this has always been true.

Good-Ole-Rebel

This era of Trump hasn't affected my views on religion at all. Why should it? In the end you only have two people to really vote for, or choose from. Which ever one is more aligned with my Christian views and world views will be the one I vote for. Thus in our day, the Republican Party is more aligned with me, and the Democratic Party is so far adrift out to sea, they don't even play a role, in my opinion.

Good-Ole-Rebel

This era of Trump hasn't affected my views on religion at all. Why should it? In the end you only have two people to really vote for, or choose from. Which ever one is more aligned with my Christian views and world views will be the one I vote for. Thus in our day, the Republican Party is more aligned with me, and the Democratic Party is so far adrift out to sea, they don't even play a role, in my opinion.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Thanks. Has Donald Trump said or done anything that does not align well with your Christian views?

What has he said or done that was the most Christ-like, in your view?

well ..you Americans can't even imagine how hard it is to live in a country, whose people knows that across the Sea there is a whole different , hostile world who has always tried to conquer Europe throughout the centuries, with its religion.

Magically a Nationalist POTUS who values the Christian roots of the West is elected...
And we say...what a relief.

He can be a manwhore...that is utterly irrelevant.
You think he “values the Christian roots of the West”? I think the first time he said the Bible is his favorite book, he couldn’t identify a single verse in it. I think the second time, he claimed his favorite verse was “an eye for an eye” - which is kind of the wrong answer for a Christian.

The first lie I saw Donald Trump tell was during the Republican primary debates, when he claimed that the reason the IRS audits his taxes each year is because he is Christian. And that’s why he can’t release his tax returns (another lie). This was in South Carolina (or a nearby southern state) and a transparent attempt to win votes by paying lip service to religion.

Religion & Trump....tis like how Hillary affected my view of haggis, ie, not at all.
Isn’t it a little surprising that so many Christians would vote for a man they know pretends to be Christian in order to win their votes, and a man who reminds of the Ten Commandments by breaking them every day?

I guess what I’m saying is, if someone comically and transparently lied about being an atheist simply to win my vote ... I would be extremely suspicious of that person, and I’d rather see my party lose than to support such a person.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Isn’t it a little surprising that so many Christians would vote for a man they know pretends to be Christian in order to win their votes, and a man who reminds of the Ten Commandments by breaking them every day?

I guess what I’m saying is, if someone comically and transparently lied about being an atheist simply to win my vote ... I would be extremely suspicious of that person, and I’d rather see my party lose than to support such a person.

This could be far out there, and be read into too much, but I have this theory that Protestants have been looking for strong leadership lately, much like how Catholics have the Pope, and think they found it in Trump.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I'm not surprised at how people vote...not after half a century of watching them.
Christians....
- They're diverse.
- They (like almost all humans) aren't prone to methodical rigorous reasoning.
- As do we, face the choice of the lesser of 2 evils.
- Must weigh a candidate's faults with their merits.
- And did I mention the lesser of 2 evils dilemma?

And lefties (sometimes called "liberals").....
Their voting for someone like Hillary also reeks of the same line of criticism.
How could they vote for someone like that?
Well...the same reasons that Christians vote as they do.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Thanks. Has Donald Trump said or done anything that does not align well with your Christian views?

What has he said or done that was the most Christ-like, in your view?

Your method here seems to be that what I list as his attributes, you will find something to disprove it.

Let me answer this way. What is there in the Democratic Party that aligns with my Christian views? Answer: Nothing.

What has the Democratic party said or done that does not align with my Christian views? Everything.

If Barry Goldwater came back and joined the Democratic Party I could not vote for him.

Good-Ole-Rebel

PureX

Veteran Member
Trump does not effect my views of religion because he is not even remotely religious. So nothing he does is inspired by any religious fervor within him.

What effects my view of religion, and very negatively so, are comments and behaviors like this: "In the end you only have two people to really vote for, or choose from. Which ever one is more aligned with my Christian views and world views will be the one I vote for. Thus in our day, the Republican Party is more aligned with me..."

"Me". ... "Aligned with me". This religion is all about "me" and what "I believe", and how "I" can use my vote to force my fellow citizens to comply with "my Christian ideals". It's a religion of selfishness, and of unquestioned self-righteousness. To the point of being traitorous to one's own national principals, and to one's fellow citizens.

I find this all-to-common expression of "Christianity" both absurd and disgusting.

Milton Platt

It has cemented my view that Christians can be very gullible when someone simply "talks the talk" and they don't care if he actually "walks the walk" if he tells them what they want to hear.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How has the age of Trump affected your views on religion?

Not one bit, i saw religion as a seriously divisive movement before trump and i still do.

Your method here seems to be that what I list as his attributes, you will find something to disprove it.

Let me answer this way. What is there in the Democratic Party that aligns with my Christian views? Answer: Nothing.

What has the Democratic party said or done that does not align with my Christian views? Everything.

If Barry Goldwater came back and joined the Democratic Party I could not vote for him.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Let me be a little more specific. Consider the following statement that the President made after he fired Sec of State Rex Tillerson:

upload_2019-11-24_9-6-20.png

Do you really think the former CEO of one of the world’s largest international companies was dumb as a rock and lazy as hell, or was Trump simply lashing out in response to a comment Rex had made that Trump doesn’t read briefing reports and asks his staff to do things that are illegal? How does this kind of behavior from the president, align with your Christian worldview?

What I am getting at is this: there’s POLlCY, and then there’s BEHAVIOR.

I am always going to support the candidate whose POLICY I agree with. If I think gay marriage should be legal, I am going to vote for the candidate who supports gay marriage. And I assume you will vote against. That’s because we disagree on POLICY and I get that.

But there’s a certain minimum acceptable standard of BEHAVIOR that I can stomach in a person I would support for the highest office in our country.

For example: if someone supported gay marriage, but constantly used their immense public platform to lie and bully and spread bigotry, I could not in good conscience support that candidate. I would even risk acquiescing to a Republican candidate who disagrees with my politics. After all, some things are more important than winning.

But it sounds like for you, the decision is more one dimensional. This candidate supports the policies I agree with - nothing else matters. Is that correct?

Or am I wrong; are there things Trump could do that would cause you to be unable to support him - he just hasn’t yet sunk low enough to cross your threshold?

pearl

If you want to understand what has shaped Trump forget about religion as we would define it. His compass through life is and has been formed by Norman Vincent Peale.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
There is a difference between voting for who you see as the "lesser evil" and licking their boots while you pretend they're perfect and infallible.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
Sounds like your version of Christianity has very little to do with Christ.