• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How has Buddhism influenced Hinduism historically?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I know that Buddhism obviously could be called a split sect from Hinduism originally. Has Buddhism influenced Hinduism in any ways throughout history?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend HM,

Personal understanding is there is nothing as hindusim what is, is Sanatan Dharma and Sanatan Dharma is open ended i.e. it has no boundries where one could state that this is not Sanatan Dharma because Sanatan Dharma means the eternal law and is said to be a *way of life* meaning any individual living his own unique way of life is simply following sanatan dharma. Yes, some are conscious about it and some who term themselves as following other paths also are unconsciously following the eternal law.
Gautama only turned the dharma wheel further i.e. dharma itself evolved through Gautam's enlightenment.
Rather each enlightenment is an expansion of consciousness.

Love & rgds

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well the reason I asked is because Wannabe Yogi, I believe it was, mentioned in another thread that Hinduism used to offer sacrifices a lot more, until it was influenced by Jainism's idea that one should not kill any living thing. I was wondering if Buddhism had also influenced Hinduism in any ways like that.

Satsangi

Ahimsa and vegeterianism are inter related and the concept was present in Sanatana Dharma much before Jainism was founded. Animal sacrifice although mentioned in the Vedas, is also clearly prohibited for spiritual aspirants; it is for Artha and Kama and not for Dharma and Moksha.

Regards,

Wannabe Yogi

Well the reason I asked is because Wannabe Yogi, I believe it was, mentioned in another thread that Hinduism used to offer sacrifices a lot more, until it was influenced by Jainism's idea that one should not kill any living thing. I was wondering if Buddhism had also influenced Hinduism in any ways like that.

That was river wolf who said that.

Wannabe Yogi

Ahimsa and vegeterianism are inter related and the concept was present in Sanatana Dharma much before Jainism was founded. Animal sacrifice although mentioned in the Vedas, is also clearly prohibited for spiritual aspirants; it is for Artha and Kama and not for Dharma and Moksha.

Regards,

Well said. You can find the concept Ahimsa in the Vedas. The Jains have just made this concept the center of their faith and devoloped it.

Wannabe Yogi

I know that Buddhism obviously could be called a split sect from Hinduism originally. Has Buddhism influenced Hinduism in any ways throughout history?

Buddhism influenced Hinduism in many ways. I see the Lord Buddha as not only a world teacher who started Buddism. He also helped to reform Hinduism after it lost it's way. The Buddhists did help us along with the Jains better understand Ahimsa and helped to make our faith more practical.