• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How hard is to write the first novel?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I have the story plotted out.

But I am referencing many other books to get ideas on how to fill all those pages of my plot with.

I am planning to write a historical fiction of about 40,000 words in 2023.

This will be my first novel.

I am getting very apprehensive thinking all those pages and pages of details I might have to write. For that matter, I am not too good at descriptions and details.

Anyone who felt the same while writing their first novel?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

But I am referencing many other books to get ideas on how to fill all those pages of my plot with.

I am getting very apprehensive thinking all those pages and pages of details I might have to write. For that matter, I am not too good at descriptions and details.

For me it has been a very difficult task, definitely a learning experience of what to do and what not to do when writing your second novel. It also requires a lot of patience, discipline, and focus. When you get to the second draft, be prepared to remove things that you really liked in the first draft.

It's very rewarding though, and fun in spite of the struggle.

As for descriptions and details, I wouldn't worry about that on your first draft. That will come later and it won't be as difficult as you think.

Wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I am curious as to why you would put a word count limit on your story? Shouldn't you tell the story, and whatever length it is is how long it is...of course, until the editor gets ahold of it...:D

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

A couple of thoughts:

1 - 40,000 words doesn't seem like enough words for a normal novel. There are roughly 300 words per page for a normal novel, so 90,000 words (300 pages), might be a better number to target.

2 - Stephen King strives to write 6 pages a day. That's a lot, but if you can write 2 or 3 pages a day you can get a draft done over the course of several months.

3 - DO NOT worry too much about chapter 1. After you've written your first draft of chapter 1, one of two things is overwhelmingly likely to happen:
1 - You'll throw it out and start the book with chapter 2. (This is often a GREAT idea!!)
2 - You'll totally rewrite it.

So just get your first draft of chapter 1 done! Don't worry if it's total crap, get it out of the way. :)

As a general writing tip, whenever possible SHOW or DEMONSTRATE a thing you want to convey, AVOID TELLING.

(fwiw, I've authored or coauthored 13 books :) )

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am curious as to why you would put a word count limit on your story? Shouldn't you tell the story, and whatever length it is is how long it is...of course, until the editor gets ahold of it...:D

I just did it as an exercise to get an idea of perhaps how long the story might go. There are about 38 small chapters in the plot and I gave 1000 words in an average to each chapter. Not at all an accurate estimate but I want my novel to be at least minimum this long.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
A couple of thoughts:

1 - 40,000 words doesn't seem like enough words for a normal novel. There are roughly 300 words per page for a normal novel, so 90,000 words (300 pages), might be a better number to target.

2 - Stephen King strives to write 6 pages a day. That's a lot, but if you can write 2 or 3 pages a day you can get a draft done over the course of several months.

3 - DO NOT worry too much about chapter 1. After you've written your first draft of chapter 1, one of two things is overwhelmingly likely to happen:
1 - You'll throw it out and start the book with chapter 2. (This is often a GREAT idea!!)
2 - You'll totally rewrite it.

So just get your first draft of chapter 1 done! Don't worry if it's total crap, get it out of the way. :)

As a general writing tip, whenever possible SHOW or DEMONSTRATE a thing you want to convey, AVOID TELLING.

(fwiw, I've authored or coauthored 13 books :) )

Wow... kudos to you. I envy you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It's hard, but I'm sure that varies by writer. I did an 80 000 word animal fantasy (sort of, but not true animal fantasy, because the main character interacts with humans via a 'gift') and now I'm doing my first edit. I use so many redundant words it's tedious. Thank goodness for a word processor. Before that I have no idea how they could have done it, short of hiring professional editors. I have word look for each of my 'bad' words separately. (just, actually, both, at least ... and about 30 more)

If you're apprehensive, I'd suggest thinking about doing 3 or 4 pages a day, not the whole thing. Good luck.

Audie

Veteran Member

Eze peezy.

Maki g it any good may take talent and work

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It depends on the subject.:)
Because there are subjects that would make me write things for hours.
Writing is a vital need to express your emotions and each of us loves a subject.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I'm starting on novels. I'm hoping to read 1 hour and write 1 hour every day until I have one.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Nah, only fanfiction so far, and it's NSFW.

I used to read volumes and volumes on Creative Writing until I finally figured out that the only thing that counts is that you know why you write. Once you know what you want to get across, the way how to get there shouldn't be a problem.

In the fanfiction community I used to visit, frequent references were made to NaNoWriMo (NaNoWriMo) but as I haven't tried it myself, so I can only recommend it to you on hearsay.