• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How hard do you have to try to be an atheist?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I think most of us have had periods in our life where we were atheists.

When you were an atheist, or if you are an atheist, do you ever have to try hard to be an atheist?

For instance, I would bite into a strawberry and observe the strawberry, taste the strawberry, and think to myself, maybe that strawberry was designed to be delightful to our taste buds.

It just seemed like as an atheist, there were constant signs popping up, that maybe there was some sort of intelligent design, destiny, and plan behind the existence of mankind.

I don't see chimpanzees or any other apes evolving... whatever the other apes invent, was the same thing they were inventing thousands of years ago.

It's like my baboon tarantula, invents all kinds of groovy webs, and intricate tunnels throughout the dirt, and it's his home.

That's an example of what animals invent. It is very primitive, and no more advanced then what they were creating thousands of years ago.

Humans on the other hand have Internet, space ships that fly to the moon, robots on Mars, satellites in outer space, airplanes, brain surgery, open heart surgery, kidney dialysis, pacemakers, x-rays, credit cards, MRIS, knee and hip replacement, cell phones, computers, printers, nuclear power, and nuclear weapons.

It made me think, perhaps scripture is right, that mankind was made in God's image, and maybe that is why we invent all these things that other Apes do not.

I don't see any evidence that other apes have evolved at all in thousands of years.

It was hard for me to be an atheist, when I can't find a single person on the planet who is half chimpanzee and half human. There really should be a chimpanzee out there that is more advanced than the rest at least, who invents something more new or something that resembles civilization.

These factors made it very difficult, and I had to try really hard to be an atheist.

It also made me wonder, how did this humble Jesus figure, who was born in a barn in complete poverty, and a humble Carpenter, start a movement that conquered the Roman Empire, and has Conquered 2.2 billion hearts, and lead to a book that is a best seller year after year?

How we date everything centers on his life, "before Christ or after Christ." And more books, shrines, structures, basilicas, and cathedrals are in his honor, more so than anyone else in history.

As an Atheist, it was hard for me to believe that evolved chimps wrote a fairytale, that influences and governs more than 2.2 billion Christians, and 1.8 billion Muslims, in a massively powerful way.

I always had to wonder, perhaps there is a supernatural force behind all of this? Perhaps this was the destiny of mankind?

Any thoughts?

Humans are fascinating Apes...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Many Christians consider me an atheist or semi-atheist because I say that that God of the Bible doesn't exist. I don't mind being considered an atheist

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't want to turn this into a debate (and neither should others) as this isn't the evolution v creationism forum.
However, I can confidentilly say that:
1. That's not how evolution works.
2. Not all or even most people who accept evolution are atheists. From the majority of Hindu, Buddhist,Jews to even the majority of Christians, most people don't have troubles reconciling evolution with their theistic faith.

That said, personally being atheist is incredibly natural to me. Trying to be anything else just didn't feel like I was being honest with myself.

Deidre

I went through a period of turning from faith, but it was a gradual indifference towards prayer, and the idea of any supernatural realm even existing. It was gradual, not really a choice, it felt like. I feel like I make a choice now to believe ...but perhaps my path back to faith, was also natural. But, if you ask most atheists, they'll tell you the same, that it wasn't really a choice (if they left faith, if they were formerly religious, etc) but more of a natural conclusion they came to.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I don't want to turn this into a debate (and neither should others) as this isn't the evolution v creationism forum.
2. Not all or even most people who accept evolution are atheists. From the majority of Hindu, Buddhist,Jews to even the majority of Christians, most people don't have troubles reconciling evolution with their theistic faith.

That said, personally being atheist is incredibly natural to me. Trying to be anything else just didn't feel like I was being honest with myself.
Would you be so kind as to move this thread to the Evolution versus creationist forum? Thanks!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I dont believe evolution has anything to do with atheism. So, Im kinda lost in that connection.
When you were an atheist, or if you are an atheist, do you ever have to try hard to be an atheist?

No. Its like having thousands of chocolate pies and ten vanilla pies and those who love chocolate wonder why others dont like it.

Then, trying to make sense of this disinterest in chocolate (I mean, if you like it, we should like it too?), they automatically assume those who reject chocolate we must love vanilla. They figure we should like "something" in place of chocolate but never ask us if we liked pie to begin with!

As an atheist, in this analogy, I wouldnt like pie.

Your question is like asking if its hard for me to not want chocolate just because the majority do.

Do you try to dislike something you have not taste to begin with?

For instance, I would bite into a strawberry and observe the strawberry, taste the strawberry, and think to myself, maybe that strawberry was designed to be delightful to our taste bud

I actually dont like strawberry ;) but its like

I wouldnt bite the strawberry, have no interest to do so, and see no reason to question why people like strawberry as if what people see in strawberry is what I should see too.

It also assumes that those who taste it will automatically like it.

Analogy and reality, thats simply not the case. Religion isnt an exclusion to the logic.

Edited.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member

Also, I don't have a difficult time accepting Evolution with my faith.

But the idea that a round world was formed as a result of a big bang, and the sun was in a perfect place to make the world survive, and somehow a single cell organism came into being, which eventually became a human, and all sorts of plants, fruits, vegetables, and animals develop and evolve randomly, to provide for Mankind's needs....hmmm...

I still believe in evolution, but I believe that there was something intelligent guiding this process.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I went through a period of turning from faith, but it was a gradual indifference towards prayer, and the idea of any supernatural realm even existing. It was gradual, not really a choice, it felt like. I feel like I make a choice now to believe ...but perhaps my path back to faith, was also natural. But, if you ask most atheists, they'll tell you the same, that it wasn't really a choice (if they left faith, if they were formerly religious, etc) but more of a natural conclusion they came to.

Lol....I think that atheism is a natural choice for all those who were traumatized by a Catholic upbringing. I can relate

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I dont believe evolution has anything to do with atheism. So, Im kinda lost in that connection.

No. Its like having thousands of chocolate pies and ten vanilla pies and those who love chocolate wonder why others dont like it.

Then, trying to make sense of this disinterest in chocolate (I mean, if you like it, we should like it too?), they automatically assume those who reject chocolate we must love vanilla. They figure we should like "something" in place of chocolate but never ask us if we liked pie to begin with!

As an atheist, in this analogy, I wouldnt like pie.

Your question is like asking if its hard for me to not want chocolate just because the majority do.

Do you try to dislike something you have taste to begin with?

I actually dont like strawberry ;) but its like

I wouldnt bite the strawberry, have no interest to do so, and see no reason to question why people like strawberry as if what people see in strawberry is what I should see too.

It also assumes that those who taste it will automatically like it.

Analogy and reality, thats simply not the case. Religion isnt an excluding to the logic.

Edited.
By the way, as I said in my post above this one, I do believe in evolution

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Belief aside, I dont see the connection. What is the connection?
Could you be more specific?

as an atheist I was trying to believe that we evolved from chimps at random without any supernatural plan or design.

I was having a hard time seeing evidence that such a phenomenon takes place... therefore, it was difficult for me to be an atheist. but since I believe in a Creator now, it is possible that the Creator at some point in history intervened so that a chimpanzee would become a person.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I always had to wonder, perhaps there is a supernatural force behind all of this? Perhaps this was the destiny of mankind?

Any thoughts?
Perhaps there is.
Though, I have not seen any evidence that convinces me that any "higher power" exists.

In my opinion, your OP is pumped full of personification and anthropomorphism.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Perhaps there is.
Though, I have not seen any evidence that convinces me that any "higher power" exists.

In my opinion, your OP is pumped full of personification and anthropomorphism.
I was simply stating a few of the reasons why, I had to try really hard to be an atheist... questions were constantly arising in my head... it became increasingly impossible for me to maintain an unshakable faith in the belief that there is no creator responsible for the existence of humans, animals, plants, fruit, vegetables, oil, sun, etc.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Could you be more specific?

Since atheism is disbelief in god (relating to belief)
And evolution is related to science (theory or fact)

They are very different in focus and subject. So an opposite of a theist wouldnt be someone who believes in evolution. And not all theist disbelief in evolution.

So...

as an atheist I was trying to believe that we evolved from chimps at random without any supernatural plan or design.

I dont understand. How does being a former atheist meant you have to try to believe in evolution?

I was having a hard time seeing evidence that such a phenomenon takes place... therefore,

it was difficult for me to be an atheist.

but since I believe in a Creator now, it is possible that the Creator at some point in history intervened so that a

I dont understand your logic. Being an atheist doesnt mean you have to try and believe in evolution. Not many theist believe god is a creator and many others disagree with creationalism.

What does the creator want you to believe about the origin of humans on the earth?

I know its an individual thing. The way you phrase the OP seems like you didnt want to believe in atheism anymore because you cant believe in evolution and as a result, you believe in a creator.

I dont understand the logic behind this.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I was simply stating a few of the reasons why, I had to try really hard to be an atheist... questions were constantly arising in my head... it became increasingly impossible for me to maintain an unshakable faith in the belief that there is no creator responsible for the existence of humans, animals, plants, fruit, vegetables, oil, sun, etc.
And that may well be because you think spiders "invent" webs.
Seems to me that spiders do not "invent" webs, they simply spin them.
Thus, in my opinion, you are spinning the creation of a web into more than it is. (no pun intended)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Since atheism is disbelief in god (relating to belief)
And evolution is related to science (theory or fact)

They are very different in focus and subject. So an opposite of a theist wouldnt be someone who believes in evolution. And not all theist disbelief in evolution.

So...

I dont understand. How does being a former atheist meant you have to try to believe in evolution?

I dont understand your logic. Being an atheist doesnt mean you have to try and believe in evolution. Not many theist believe god is a creator and many others disagree with creationalism.

What does the creator want you to believe about the origin of humans on the earth?

I know its an individual thing. The way you phrase the OP seems like you didnt want to believe in atheism anymore because you cant believe in evolution and as a result, you believe in a creator.

I dont understand the logic behind this.
yes, as an atheist, the question kept arising, why do humans exist? We must have evolved from chimps? The evidence seems to be lacking.

Without the sun, the world would not exist. How does the sun exist, and why is it in such in such a crucial place?

Why did a big bang lead to such a round earth? Where did the energy for the Big Bang come from?

Why did vegetables, animals, fruit, water, oil, herbs, and various other plants, minerals, and resources, that meet man's needs, come into existence as a result of a big bang, that happened randomly, that nobody really can prove took place one way or the other?

why aren't chimpanzees inventing anything new than what they invented thousands of years ago?

why are they not evolving, while mankind has spaceships that fly to the moon, satellites in the sky, and robots on Mars?

My ability to reason, tells me that an evolved chimp isn't going to suddenly excel that much, while the rest of the chimps stop evolving...

It was really difficult for me to be an atheist and have those questions constantly nagging at my mind.

Hence, my ability to reason, and everything that seemed rational to me, was telling me there is an extreme amount of evidence that there was a designer and a plan that put the universe together, and some sort of a destiny for it.

Therefore, with all of my ability to reason, and everything that I found logical, and many other reasons, it became impossible for me to be an atheist.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And that may well be because you think spiders "invent" webs.
Seems to me that spiders do not "invent" webs, they simply spin them.
Thus, in my opinion, you are spinning the creation of a web into more than it is. (no pun intended)
I was just using that as an example of an animal creating his house... animals that create homes to live in, are not coming up with anything new, it's the same as it was for them thousands of years ago.

Yes, I realized that a spider does not invent a web, he spins a web following his instincts, but I was hoping nobody would point that out.

Congratulations on doing that! ;)