• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How God communicates.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People believe and teach that God used people as though they were secretaries to write the words of God down for us.

But, it seems to me that God speaks without words.

God communicates meaning with no speech and without words.

How do I know this? I don't know. But I do know that wonderful meaning comes to me in less time than a human second. If it was words and speech coming, it would take as much time as the words come and I would hear some kind of sound. With pictures, maybe? Not with pictures either. It isn't hearing and it isn't seeing.
It is knowing.

Tmac

People believe and teach that God used people as though they were secretaries to write the words of God down for us.

How do I know this? I don't know. But I do know that wonderful meaning comes to me in less time than a human second. If it was words and speech coming, it would take as much time as the words come and I would hear some kind of sound. With pictures, maybe? Not with pictures either. It isn't hearing and it isn't seeing.
It is knowing.

Why do you think it is god communicating with you, it could just as easily be that you already know all that you are looking for and have hid it from yourself so that you can say God and God are one.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do you think it is god communicating with you, it could just as easily be that you already know all that you are looking for and have hid it from yourself so that you can say God and God are one.
The thread isn't about God and me. It is about what people teach about the way God has communicated with humankind.
But, that you think it might be that understanding comes suddenly to me because of what I have learned isn't a reasonable explanation, because of its suddenness, like a present.
It is because of the timing of the revelations that I believe they are from something spiritually other-worldly. God? maybe not. It isn't me. Of that I am sure.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Knowing takes a lot of work. I don't stick to work much. It is how I know it isn't coming from me.

I think it is the reason that I trust in believing in being open to more great communications from The One Who Is Knowing.

There have been other messages. There might be more than one other-worldly communicator.
I use the Bible to appreciate which messages to keep and which to reject.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
People believe and teach that God used people as though they were secretaries to write the words of God down for us. But, it seems to me that God speaks without words. God communicates meaning with no speech and without words.

If that is correct, there would be no need for a Bible, and God would not have authored one. It must, therefore, have a human source.

I've long believed that if there were an omnisicient, omnipotent being that wanted to communicate with humanity, it would be directly and, as you suggest, not using language, but through urges to act and emotions that reward or condemn choices, wordless ideas including recollections.

Of course, this is how our extra-mental neurological circuits communicate with us.

You're probably aware that the ancient Greeks thought that it was invisible muses implanting creative ideas into their heads. It's tempting to identify our own original thoughts as coming from an external agent.

How do I know this? I don't know. But I do know that wonderful meaning comes to me in less time than a human second. If it was words and speech coming, it would take as much time as the words come and I would hear some kind of sound.

As I just indicated, that's also the way that ideas come to us that we assume are of endogenous origin, like memories or original thoughts. The words you just read were not in my head when I decided to answer you - just an amorphous, wordless understanding that then had to be rendered into words at the keyboard.

How are you so sure of the source of your ideas that you attribute to God?

Experience is the only way to know.
It is a relationship that produces fruit because we are the tree.
Belief is for children.

You must mean unjustified belief, or believing in (something). Believing in Santa is for children, but I'd bet that you agree that we couldn't function without our beliefs, the sum of which comprise our mental maps - maps that tell us how the world works, and what is the likely outcome of various actions in various circumstances.

And most of the ideas in our maps are derived from experience, which may be indirect, such as believing that drunk driving is a bad idea based on the misfortunes of others. The rest is derived from pure reason, and perhaps intuition if one recognizes the limitations of intuitions and their truth value. We may have a sense that somebody is lying - an intuition not yet confirmed - but should recognize that while the idea may have merit, we should remain wary yet agnostic on the matter until we have enough experience of this person to have a justified belief about his or her honesty.

Ideas believed by faith do not come from experience, which is evidence, and are not justified. If an idea believed by faith is correct, that is just a coincidence.

Akivah

You're correct. G-d has neither lips, tongue nor vocal chords so He doesn't communicate like a human. Torah teaches us that some people, like prophets and priests, had a closer connection to G-d. For these people, G-d's communication was clearer. For Moses, G-d was able to communicate directly. For the prophets, G-d communicated with visions. For the regular person, G-d communicates through your conscience.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If that is correct, there would be no need for a Bible, and God would not have authored one. It must, therefore, have a human source.

I've long believed that if there were an omnisicient, omnipotent being that wanted to communicate with humanity, it would be directly and, as you suggest, not using language, but through urges to act and emotions that reward or condemn choices, wordless ideas including recollections.

Of course, this is how our extra-mental neurological circuits communicate with us.

You're probably aware that the ancient Greeks thought that it was invisible muses implanting creative ideas into their heads. It's tempting to identify our own original thoughts as coming from an external agent.

As I just indicated, that's also the way that ideas come to us that we assume are of endogenous origin, like memories or original thoughts. The words you just read were not in my head when I decided to answer you - just an amorphous, wordless understanding that then had to be rendered into words at the keyboard.

How are you so sure of the source of your ideas that you attribute to God?

You must mean unjustified belief, or believing in (something). Believing in Santa is for children, but I'd bet that you agree that we couldn't function without our beliefs, the sum of which comprise our mental maps - maps that tell us how the world works, and what is the likely outcome of various actions in various circumstances.

And most of the ideas in our maps are derived from experience, which may be indirect, such as believing that drunk driving is a bad idea based on the misfortunes of others. The rest is derived from pure reason, and perhaps intuition if one recognizes the limitations of intuitions and their truth value. We may have a sense that somebody is lying - an intuition not yet confirmed - but should recognize that while the idea may have merit, we should remain wary yet agnostic on the matter until we have enough experience of this person to have a justified belief about his or her honesty.

Ideas believed by faith do not come from experience, which is evidence, and are not justified. If an idea believed by faith is correct, that is just a coincidence.
The knowledge can't come with no basis, but it isn't a bunch of ideas that suddenly morph into understanding. Sometimes, yes, but that isn't what the thread is about.

The bases for the revelations that have come to me are:
1. Wanting to know.
2. Seeking to know.
3. Believing it is God's will for me to know.
4. Doing the work (which in my case was learning the Bible).
5. Trusting in righteousness.
6. Letting knowledge come together.

Someone who does all that might come to the conclusion that it is the way for everyone to come to an understanding of what God means.

I don't believe that.

To understand how the physical world works is just how you say. The acquired knowledge comes together to make sense. I am not saying that for me there is none of that.

I am saying that there is something helping me because after the work I had done*, there isn't work involved in it. I am resting, just as I believe God through Jesus Christ has commanded that I do.

*There was so much work to do along with emotional tribulations, that I believe God felt sorry for me and has befriended me.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I understand is not what I have learned.

If understanding only comes from what is experienced and learned then I can't understand what I think I know.

You can't help me be persuaded that I am not coming to know communications from a source outside myself. I do not know who, where or what. I just know that my brain didn't do the work.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

It is knowing.
That resonates deeply with me. Sometimes that knowing cannot be put into words because to try to talk about it would be like shattering a beautiful crystal to discuss the shards.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

It is knowing.
That resonates deeply with me. Sometimes that knowing cannot be put into words because to try to talk about it would be like shattering a beautiful crystal to discuss the shards.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
G-d communicates through your conscience.
I don't believe that in the case that I understand what conscience means.
I think conscience is a person's own opinion of what is right and wrong.
How is that God communicating anything?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What I understand is not what I have learned.

If understanding only comes from what is experienced and learned then I can't understand what I think I know.

You can't help me be persuaded that I am not coming to know communications from a source outside myself. I do not know who, where or what. I just know that my brain didn't do the work.
It can be like trying to explain how a headache feels to someone who has never had one. The experience communicates what words can not.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is exactly right!

I have sometimes tried to communicate what I think I know and people will say, "English isn't your language, is it?". :) It is. LOL

Rational Agnostic

It is knowing.

Hmmmmmm......maybe God has to have people write for him. Has it ever occurred to you that he might be illiterate?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmmmmmm......maybe God has to have people write for him. Has it ever occurred to you that he might be illiterate?
Of course not! (I realize that it might be a joke.....but, a bad one).

Imagine telling a child this. What God wants you to know God got into some men and made them write right exactly what God wanted to have you to know.
God got into them? Presumably so! How else could they have written exactly what God wanted to be written and nothing else?

Akivah

I don't believe that in the case that I understand what conscience means.
I think conscience is a person's own opinion of what is right and wrong.
How is that God communicating anything?

Most people have an inherent sense of right & wrong. That comes from G-d. The more we know His Laws, the better we know what is right.

Tmac

You're correct. G-d has neither lips, tongue nor vocal chords so He doesn't communicate like a human. Torah teaches us that some people, like prophets and priests, had a closer connection to G-d. For these people, G-d's communication was clearer. For Moses, G-d was able to communicate directly. For the prophets, G-d communicated with visions. For the regular person, G-d communicates through your conscience.

Your God might not have lips, tongue or vocal chords but apparently it posses a sex organ as you have made it masculine.

Tmac

The thread isn't about God and me. It is about what people teach about the way God has communicated with humankind.
But, that you think it might be that understanding comes suddenly to me because of what I have learned isn't a reasonable explanation, because of its suddenness, like a present.
It is because of the timing of the revelations that I believe they are from something spiritually other-worldly. God? maybe not. It isn't me. Of that I am sure.

Well then maybe you should not have used you and God as the example; on the other point, do you believe that you have memories that predate the moment you converted to the systems of society. If so then, how did you identify these memories, they weren't words because you didn't know any but yet you can see them as if you were in that moment.

Need to ask, revelations?

Akivah

Your God might not have lips, tongue or vocal chords but apparently it posses a sex organ as you have made it masculine.

Nope. G-d is referred to as either Him or Her, depending on the circumstances. It is considered insulting to refer to G-d as an "It".

G-d has no physical characteristics.