• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How eclectic can you become before losing credibility?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste dear forum members,

I have a question concerning a certain Swami. However, I do not wish to discuss the person of the swami (has been done before). My question goes into a different direction. Let‘s say, the swami identifies himself as a SriVaishnava. In his temple room he installed the following statues (which are worshipped): Mahavatar Babaji, Ramanuja, Nitai Gauranga. The guru in question chants mantras like “Hare Krishna“ and “Sri Krishna Chaitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Hare Krishna, Hare Rama, Radhe Govinda”. Would you consider such a guru to be a SriVaishnava? Can you pick saints and deities as you please and still declare youself a SriVaishnava? Or is there a red line? How eclectic can one become before losing credibility?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Only a SriVaishnav can reply to that. But I do not think there is a read line within Hinduism. I respect all deities and all teachers (Rishis and Acharyas) of Hinduism, though I am an atheist advaitist. They were researchers on the subject in an earlier time, like Newton. Their theories can be contested by not their persons.

ajay0

Namaste dear forum members,

I have a question concerning a certain Swami. However, I do not wish to discuss the person of the swami (has been done before). My question goes into a different direction. Let‘s say, the swami identifies himself as a SriVaishnava. In his temple room he installed the following statues (which are worshipped): Mahavatar Babaji, Ramanuja, Nitai Gauranga. The guru in question chants mantras like “Hare Krishna“ and “Sri Krishna Chaitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Hare Krishna, Hare Rama, Radhe Govinda”. Would you consider such a guru to be a SriVaishnava? Can you pick saints and deities as you please and still declare youself a SriVaishnava? Or is there a red line? How eclectic can one become before losing credibility?

One can be eclectic as long as it does not contradict the yama-niyamas or general rules and regulations in Hinduism.Parashurama, Rama, Krishna and Vishnu were worshippers of the Shivalingam themselves.

Ramakrishna worshipped Krishna, Hanuman along with the Divine Mother. There were times when he worshipped Jesus and Allah , experiences which convinced him that all paths lead to the same goal.

However one must not transcend the yama niyamas or general rules and regulations. Induling in animal and human sacrifices as the thuggees or misguided Tantriks did will obviously contradict the teachings of ahimsa or nonviolent conduct, which is considered the greatest virtue in Hinduism. ( Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah )

Similarly the asura Virochana contradicted the vedic dictum of Brahman being pure consciousness, and deludedly stated that Brahman is the body. The story of Virochana is highlighted in the Upanishads as an example of deluded understanding of Upanishadic wisdom, and to be wary of such perpetrators who misinterpret the Upanishads as per their subjective ideas.

The sage Kabir had also stated the importance of critical examination to distinguish between truth and error/falsehood.

I had elaborated on this in this thread of mine...

Kabir on the need for critical examination to weed out the false and fraudulent...